Arcadia 15 April 2024

JWILSON2

Just got email saying gastro intestinal episodes on board and boarding an hour and a half later than on boarding pass due to enhanced hygiene procedure

• Like 1

Captain has tried very hard to restrict the travel of the virus but some passengers have been very abusive to crew when asked to maintain standards. I believe a couple of people may have also been disembarked because of it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Captain has tried very hard to restrict the travel of the virus but some passengers have been very abusive to crew when asked to maintain standards. I believe a couple of people may have also been disembarked because of it.

Disappointing to hear this.   Absolutely no need.   Hopefully this is a very small minority, but would be a shame if this even partially reflects the new audience P&O are trying to attract.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Disembarked because of illness or because of abuse to crew. If the later then a jolly good thing.

Rather disappointed to read this as I just printed off our boarding passes for an upcoming Arcadia cruise this morning

Edited by AchileLauro
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

Disappointing to hear this.   Absolutely no need.   Hopefully this is a very small minority, but would be a shame if this even partially reflects the new audience P&O are trying to attract.

Arcadia....probably the oldies who think they know best. I don't know how many of the ' new audience ' go on Arcadia. Not many I suspect.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Arcadia....probably the oldies who think they know best. I don't know how many of the ' new audience ' go on Arcadia. Not many I suspect.

Arcadia was my favourite P&O ship by a long way.   So many cruises and so many happy memories on board.

I'm not old ... just like Arcadia, a little bit creakier than I used to be ..

Edited by showingdiva
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Who was the Captain?

52 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Very much this I believe. Part of the ‘don’t tell me what to do - it’s not been a problem since Southampton’ brigade if my info is correct.

• Like 4

We had an outbreak on our Med cruise in May 2023,it happened 2 days into the cruise,staff were there to try & make sure everyone washed & sanitized their hands while crew members served the buffet,it made it hard work as some crew members obviously didn't want to be serving food & some passengers obviously knew better & didn't wash their hands,helped themselves & were rude to the crew & anybody else that said anything.

As much as we loved Arcadia 3 weeks of so many rude people meant we were glad to get off at the end of the cruise!😎

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, snaefell said:

We had an outbreak on our Med cruise in May 2023,it happened 2 days into the cruise,staff were there to try & make sure everyone washed & sanitized their hands while crew members served the buffet,it made it hard work as some crew members obviously didn't want to be serving food & some passengers obviously knew better & didn't wash their hands,helped themselves & were rude to the crew & anybody else that said anything.

As much as we loved Arcadia 3 weeks of so many rude people meant we were glad to get off at the end of the cruise!😎

Doesn't sound fun for either staff or passengers. Passengers should realise the staff are doing it for the benefit of everyone. The staff maybe knew they would get aggressive passengers and maybe felt a bit on edge. The minority unfortunately ruin things for the majority. Grumpy people are the minority though I hope.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, adam01 said:

I'm going on Arcadia on Monday and received the email. How bad was the situation? Was it just some people who don't wash hands, etc.?

It was a long cruise which is more prone to outbreaks. 

6 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

It was a long cruise which is more prone to outbreaks. 

That's true. The May 2023 one though presumably seems to have many cases after just two days. The current one with problems though does seem like a long cruise. Understandably ships with longer cruises get a negative reputation for outbreaks.

53 minutes ago, adam01 said:

That's true. The May 2023 one though presumably seems to have many cases after just two days. The current one with problems though does seem like a long cruise. Understandably ships with longer cruises get a negative reputation for outbreaks.

Since noro is a disease passed from person to person,  highly infectious and likely brought on board by a passenger, then I would expect it to hit early in the cruise rather than later. Unless a passenger is unlucky enough to contract noro from a cafe or restaurant vist whilst ashore.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since noro is a disease passed from person to person,  highly infectious and likely brought on board by a passenger, then I would expect it to hit early in the cruise rather than later. Unless a passenger is unlucky enough to contract noro from a cafe or restaurant vist whilst ashore.

Fair enough, I'm no expert on this.

From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems enforced handwashing and waiter service seems to be the only solution. Hopefully they have this on board even though it is not ideal.

Looking at some forums many people seem to assume alcohol gel does the job when it doesn't and some just want to do whatever they want.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adam01 said:

Fair enough, I'm no expert on this.

From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems enforced handwashing and waiter service seems to be the only solution. Hopefully they have this on board even though it is not ideal.

Looking at some forums many people seem to assume alcohol gel does the job when it doesn't and some just want to do whatever they want.

Hand washing and waiter service are two of the main aids in halting noro, another is increasing cleaning of surfaces especially handrails as noro is a very hardy virus that can survive well on lots of surface types.

Alcohol cleaners are not very effective against noro although wipes will remove particles from hands as long as they are properly disposed of, there are a few reports around that claim hand gel can be detrimental as people use it and then think they are safe and do not take other precautions. some of the posts I read on facecloth would support this theory on cruise ships, The only product currently that has much effect is bleach, fortunately it is effective in very dilute concentrations.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, zap99 said:

There's currently another live thread bemoaning children and the parents of the children.  Now this one bemoaning oldies.

Is there an age group that can avoid receiving random age related bigotry?

I haven't spotted a recent attack on Gen X, perhaps someone could start one?

Edited by crompton21

32 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

There's currently another live thread bemoaning children and the parents of the children.  Now this one bemoaning oldies.

Couldn't see that "live " thread, but my bigoted old eyes aren't what the used to be.🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, crompton21 said:

I agree that generalising about different age groups, parents, etc or indeed anyone is not necessary. Everyone is an individual and nobody likes being pigeonholed. Just because some people of a certain age group has done something on a particular occasion doesn't mean they all do. It just happens to be you notice those individuals at that time. On the other part of the ship you don't see others of other age groups doing the same. Probably the next day or on another cruise people from other age groups do the same etc.

I'm one of the newish youngish people to doing cruises and know there is an incorrect perception about people my age wanting to change everything, have no formal nights, drink too much, etc. When people who think like this talk to me and get to know me their perceptions are challenged.

Our first cruise in 2010 was on Arcadia, and over time we have also done two more, the last being in 2016 irc.  I'm surprised that the virus is supposed to very common on her as we didn't encounter any problem at all. It may be common now but not previously, unless we were just lucky

Avril

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Our first cruise in 2010 was on Arcadia, and over time we have also done two more, the last being in 2016 irc.  I'm surprised that the virus is supposed to very common on her as we didn't encounter any problem at all. It may be common now but not previously, unless we were just lucky

Avril

It can happen anywhere unfortunately. I guess most cruises go without incident, but the ones where they happen get more publicity. Nobody is going to post about not getting ill after all.