This might be bad....But

AllenF

I don't think there will be any real impact on the industry. I think there may be a short lull in booking cruises, but those people will forget about this stuff in a week or two and everything will be back to normal.

Does anyone think about that attemped pirating of a ship a few months ago? Or the big wave that hit that other ship a while back?

These stories will fade very quickly. It's the BIG story that would be harder to overcome (big cruise ship sinking, hijacking, etc). Let's hope these things never happen.

That is actually a possibility, but it may take a couple of months for them to drop prices, especially if they are waiting to see the effects of this. However, I didn't see too much media coverage except for this site and a couple things on CNN, but just minor mentions on TV/newspaper/radio.

I guess that is what has peaked my curiosity lots of negative stories over the past year and how that has played out to the public that has never cruised but has been thinking of taking 1. Us die hards will always cruise :) but I have people at work who know I cruise alot question me about safety alot lately and there has been more negative press lately.

Like everybody else, I've been saddened by these recent tragedies. However, I don't think it will dissuade folks from cruising, even for a short time. (As a matter of fact, on Thursday I booked a cruise for next week.)

Looking back at the Star Princess tragedy, I do think that it will make folks much more aware of how easily a fire can start - from whatever source.

I have a cruise booked for the end of July and will be booking a cruise for December today. Stuff happens with anything. Thousand die in car accidents every year but we don't stop driving.

Besides, the accident in Chile had nothing to do with the actual cruise ship or line. The fire on the Star Princess was probably caused by some drunk moron and a cig. I would seem the ship did a pretty good job getting the fire under control in less than 10 minutes. To me that is amazing and offers comfort!

Yes I agree all this will have no effect on me or most of us here who are avid cruisers. But what about 1st time cruisers? 9/11 did not involve the cruise lines either but it had a major impact on traveling and cruise prices drop because of that. Now all these things that have happend lately did not compare to the tragic event of 9/11 but if more and more things continue to happen and get negative press I just have to wonder if the cruise lines will drop prices to get *New cruisers* we all know us cruise addicts will cruise no matter what :)

I had a dental appt. yesterday. My dentist has never cruised, and her DH booked a cruise for July. She was already hesitant because she's afraid of water....the fire on the Star Princess only added to her fear. She said she's already told her DH she's NOT going, so he's cancelling the cruise on Monday.:(

So - there are probably many others who have never cruised and won't even consider it now. As far as past cruisers, I don't think it will make any difference.

Things happen everyday in our lives and we move on. All you have to do is look at 9-11.... There are those who will never fly again and there are those that feel if it's their time, then it's their time. Cruise ships will be the same way as the airline industry. For every person that will never fly, and to those who will never experience the beauty of a cruise, there wil be 10 people waiting in line to buy the ticket that's up for grabs.

Wanted to add. As for me.....there is nothing better than a cruise. Will I stop cruising because of this? No way.....it was a terrible accident but so was the wreck I saw on the Interstate the other day.

There will be some knee jerk reactions, just like in 2001.

I got on a plane and flew internationally less than a month after the 11th, and got a lot of strange looks from people when they found out, but it never deterred me. On the contrary, I felt that things would be even safer.

It's sad, but sometimes it does take a tragedy before people stop being complacent about safety.

I think that the ones who already unsure will most likely postpone or cancel their plans, but then there are the rest of us(even me a lowly first timer to be) who will caryy on.

Has anybody flown in an airplane lately???

Has the prices dropped???

We have nothing but bad service with all the airlines ever sense they have cut back on employees,:( that if it wasn't for a need to get around I would drive most of the time.

First of all my heart goes out to the families and passengers of both cruise ships.

In taking this thread one step further. In light of the accident in Chile, do you think cruise ship passengers will be more careful with picking non cruise ship sponsored excursions?

I have used outside excursions and never thought to check safety records, etc. I think I will be more inquisitive in booking outside excursions.

Any thoughts on this?

theos

The recent negative media reports on cruiseship incidents may deter some first timers or those who are planning to book their first cruise. I don't see it having enough of an effect to cause the prices to go any lower though.

As for excursions, I will continue to book with either the cruiseline or independents who have consistently earned good ratings with other cruisers. Who I choose will depend on the type of activity, price, reputation, length of the excursion and any other things that might effect my enjoyment of the excursion as well as my safety.

I don't think there will be any real impact on the industry. I think there may be a short lull in booking cruises, but those people will forget about this stuff in a week or two and everything will be back to normal.

I agree... there will be some knee-jerk reactions and maybe a short term decrease in bookings. My mother, who is an experienced cruiser, asked me just a few days ago if I was worried about our upcoming cruise due to the rash of unusual 'bad news' events recently. Of course I told her no but it goes to show that even some people with a few sea miles under their belts are wondering... but it will fade quickly.

(As a matter of fact, on Thursday I booked a cruise for next week.)

Where ya goin', Cotton? What ship? I hope not the Holiday - I was going to suprise you with a cd of pics of the NEW Holiday next month!

Last summer a week before we went to Disney World a little boy died on the Mission Space ride. This little guy was the same age as my daughter at the time. We still went to Disney but I did not take her on that ride. It was only because there was no information released to the public. We didn't know if the little boy had a pre-exisiting condition or if it was the ride or anything else. No clue.

I think that as long as the company keeps the public informed- the public will feel safe and want to go. I did not feel safe taking my daughter on that ride last summer, but I feel safe taking her on the cruise because so far both cruise lines have impressed me with their responses to each incident. They seem to be keeping everyone informed.

Archived