Erice

texasstar

I will be on a cruise in May that makes a stop in Trapani.  I would like to see Erice, but it is listed as strenuous.  For those that have been, how difficult is it?

Is it just a lot of walking, or are the stairs difficult? 

Thank you for your responce.

It's on the top of a mountain and there is quite a bit of up and down even once you're up there.  It sounds like you are describing a set tour or shore excursion, perhaps what you need is to be on your own so you can move at a pace that is comfortable for you.  For less money than an excursion you could take a taxi to the cable car station and back as well as pay for the round trip cable car and entrances to the churches and other sites you might be interested in.

Erice, one of Italy's most beautiful villages | Visit Sicily Official Page

• Like 1

You can reach Erice by cable car or bus (very twisty road, hairpin curves, not good if you get motion sick or fear of heights).

Once in Erice, the town is hilly. Not a lot of stairs but the roads are steep in places. If you arrive by bus you'll have to walk maybe a quarter of a mile from the bus dropoff place to the heart of the town (with a lovely church enroute).

It's worth it IMO but it's not an "easy" trip. Strenuous? Depends on your level of fitness and ability to walk.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@texasstar My husband and I did it last September by taking a taxi to the Cable Car Station and then walking. We are in our mid 60s with reasonable fitness and it was fine, but, there were many inclines to walk. The various churches were lovely and we were lucky and the view was good. The cable car people and the visitor centre at the dock in Trapani were very helpful and gave us maps to help locate sites.

The other good thing about doing an independent tour, if the weather was raining and misty we might have skipped it as there would be no view up there and the cobblestones would be slippery.

Edited by frantic36

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

@texasstar My husband and I did it last September by taking a taxi to the Cable Car Station and then walking. We are in our mid 60s with reasonable fitness and it was fine, but, there were many inclines to walk. The various churches were lovely and we were lucky and the view was good. The cable car people and the visitor centre at the dock in Trapani were very helpful and gave us maps to help locate sites.

The other good thing about doing an independent tour, if the weather was raining and misty we might have skipped it as there would be no view up there and the cobblestones would be slippery.

J - We are stopping in Trapani this fall. Any other info on that port? We have been to Palermo and most of Sicily on land trips, but never made it to Trapani. 

Thanks.

10 hours ago, marazul said:

J - We are stopping in Trapani this fall. Any other info on that port? We have been to Palermo and most of Sicily on land trips, but never made it to Trapani. 

Thanks.

As we spent a long time in Erice we didn't see much of Trapani but what we saw near the port we liked and if we go back would definitely spend our time there. People we chatted to on the ship who spent time in Trapani really enjoyed it. We had to walk through a building at the port and the visitor information people in there were very helpful as we asked about getting a taxi or bus to the cable car. So I am sure could help with planning your visit.

The other place of interest near Trapani is the large salt pans which are still harvested and exported plus a sanctuary for both local and migratory birds. 

The Mysteries of the Chiesa del Purgatorio is on my list to visit as the mysteries are 20 wooden statues depicting Jesus Christ's Passion carved by local artisans and paraded through Trapani every Good Friday. I am not religious but fascinated by local artwork.

13 hours ago, frantic36 said:

As we spent a long time in Erice we didn't see much of Trapani but what we saw near the port we liked and if we go back would definitely spend our time there. People we chatted to on the ship who spent time in Trapani really enjoyed it. We had to walk through a building at the port and the visitor information people in there were very helpful as we asked about getting a taxi or bus to the cable car. So I am sure could help with planning your visit.

The other place of interest near Trapani is the large salt pans which are still harvested and exported plus a sanctuary for both local and migratory birds. 

The Mysteries of the Chiesa del Purgatorio is on my list to visit as the mysteries are 20 wooden statues depicting Jesus Christ's Passion carved by local artisans and paraded through Trapani every Good Friday. I am not religious but fascinated by local artwork.

Thanks. Erice followed by a couple of hours in Trapani sound like the right combination.

8 hours ago, marazul said:

Thanks. Erice followed by a couple of hours in Trapani sound like the right combination.

Enjoy and I hope you get clear skies to enjoy the view. As you enter Erice through the Town Gate to your left is a small shop selling various flavoured Arancini. There was a small queue but it moved fast and it was a nice snack after all the walking. No tables to sit at so I found a low wall to sit on while I ate 😁.

Off topic but a question for you please, we are thinking of a Western Med cruise in April Barcelona - Barcelona via the Canaries what might we expect weather and seas to be like?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Enjoy and I hope you get clear skies to enjoy the view. As you enter Erice through the Town Gate to your left is a small shop selling various flavoured Arancini. There was a small queue but it moved fast and it was a nice snack after all the walking. No tables to sit at so I found a low wall to sit on while I ate 😁.

Off topic but a question for you please, we are thinking of a Western Med cruise in April Barcelona - Barcelona via the Canaries what might we expect weather and seas to be like?

Thanks. I love arancini.

The Canaries should have nice, warm weather. Barcelona will be cooler. I am more used to the weather in Nice at that time of the year and it could be a little rainy. But very nice over all. Enjoy it.

Edited by marazul
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, frantic36 said:

And off topic for you.  I assume your Trapani cruise also stopped at La Goulette.  Did you go on the ship's excursion or on your own?  We are thinking that the ship's full-day excursion is the way to go there. 

Thanks.

7 hours ago, marazul said:

And off topic for you.  I assume your Trapani cruise also stopped at La Goulette.  Did you go on the ship's excursion or on your own?  We are thinking that the ship's full-day excursion is the way to go there. 

Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't help with La Goulette as we didn't stop there. I just checked our itinerary for last year in case my memory was faulty. It looks very interesting and I have never been to Tunisia.

• Thanks 1