Advice 4 ladies out to eat

Anyislandwilldo

We are 4 ladies, all from different families and when we go out to eat in Italy or Greece, looking for advice on how to pay our share of the bill.  We really don't want everyone to bring along cash or have to ask the server to write 4 separate checks.  Has anyone else any experience with this situation?  TIA

21 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We are 4 ladies, all from different families and when we go out to eat in Italy or Greece, looking for advice on how to pay our share of the bill.  We really don't want everyone to bring along cash or have to ask the server to write 4 separate checks.  Has anyone else any experience with this situation?  TIA

Take turns paying with a credit card. Of course, keep the receipts and someone keep a running tally per person on a phone app. At the end settle up in cash. You may find out that you came out pretty even.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

looking for advice on how to pay our share of the bill.  We really don't want everyone to bring along cash or have to ask the server to write 4 separate checks.  Has anyone else any experience with this situation?

Download an app called Venmo. Will allow you to send cash to each other easily directly from your bank account with no fees. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Now that so many people pay by card splitting the bill is much easier.  In November on a trip with three other ladies, one used her card and we all sent her money to cover expenses of the trip.  When we go out at home we will divide the tip and bill by the number of people and all pay that.  The waiter goes around the table taking cash or uses the card machine.  Perhaps it takes a few minutes longer than if one person pays - but they are used to it.  It is how people go out to eat in digital times.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

have to ask the server to write 4 separate checks

I suspect bill splitting is not as common here in Europe as I think it might be in the States. Certainly, it's not something you often see in my country. When we have a family gathering, one will pay by card and the others will later reimburse that person by bank transfer. 

Alternatively, get one bill and present four cards, asking the server to charge X to each one. Obviously much easier if everyone is paying a quarter and not nit-picking over whether they had a second glass of wine or not. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ollienbertsmum said:

The waiter goes around the table taking cash or uses the card machine.  Perhaps it takes a few minutes longer than if one person pays - but they are used to it.  It is how people go out to eat in digital times.  

I have seen numerous restaurants with signage stating that only one payment card will be accepted.  

Perhaps when you ask for the table, you could ask the host if they will accept multiple cards for payment, otherwise take turns or transfer payments to each other.

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I do have Venmo.  will need to check with the other ladies.  great idea!  But we all will need data in Europe in order to do this....correct??

You could always do it via Wifi after the fact. I always travel with my phone on my carrier's international plan which is $10 a day and includes data. I can't imagine not having that as I travel but I guess some folks do. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I do have Venmo.  will need to check with the other ladies.  great idea!  But we all will need data in Europe in order to do this....correct??

Whatever you do, don't use the restaurant's free wi-fi.  Settle up afterwards or at the end of the trip. Or use a carrier such as T-Mobile that has free data.

• Like 1