Brooklyn pier question....Uber

MsTabbyKats

Yes, but it is just a covered walkway and can get a bit crowded. I was there waiting for an Uber in the pouring rain and managed not to get too wet. As you walk out of the terminal and across the crosswalk, there will be no shelter, but there should be shelter as you wait.

Posted (edited)

This is the area where you wait for Ubers/Lyfts. It extends quite a ways past the left of this photo... all the way to the end of the sidewalk:

image.thumb.png.7cbffbdb9e9ca631009f779396f384b2.png

image.png.eb30367753fad6425f1a5777bc2526d2.png

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Yes, but it is just a covered walkway and can get a bit crowded. I was there waiting for an Uber in the pouring rain and managed not to get too wet. As you walk out of the terminal and across the crosswalk, there will be no shelter, but there should be shelter as you wait.

Thanks....

51 minutes ago, yogimax said:

What about taxis?  Are they waiting to pick you up?

I saw only one taxi passing by while I was waiting for uber..about 15 minutes. There was no long line of yellow cabs.  It's not like Manhattan.  I got there about 9:15.  There may be more when people arrive for embarkation. 

14 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Wanna escape Red Hook’s traffic congestion? Hop the ferry to Wall Street and cab/Uber from there. Just a thought…

This is absolutely the way to go — pick up area is sooooooo congested! You would get wet on the 3 minute walk and while waiting for the ferry, but would be our choice if the skies were clear!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, marti2282 said:

This is absolutely the way to go — pick up area is sooooooo congested! You would get wet on the 3 minute walk and while waiting for the ferry, but would be our choice if the skies were clear!

It would be my choice if DH didn't have a cane and walk like a snail.  If the skies are clear, I wouldn't mind waiting at the pier.  In bad weather, either way it's uncomfortable and in snow/ice...I can't imagine how the cars would get in there.  This is actually a deciding factor of whether or not to sail MSC again.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marti2282 said:

Doing this in August!

5 minutes ago, tony s said:

Doing this in August!

We stayed in the Financial District pre cruise in November, walked to the ferry, and took it to Red Hook -- so easy, so cheap, so fast!  Made the mistake of ordering a car to pick us up at the port post cruise. Never want to do the port pick up again if I can help it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crown Vic said:

Wanna escape Red Hook’s traffic congestion? Hop the ferry to Wall Street and cab/Uber from there. Just a thought…

To get to LaGuardia, which is better: from Red Hook or from the ferry drop off at Wall St?  We've never done either, and we aren't familiar with the geography of it.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Robkat said:

To get to LaGuardia, which is better: from Red Hook or from the ferry drop off at Wall St?  We've never done either, and we aren't familiar with the geography of it.  Thanks.

For LaGuardia and JFK, I don't see why you would take the ferry to Wall Street. For LaGuardia that takes you out of the way and makes you drive the full length of Manhattan. For JFK, it takes you in the complete opposite direction.

PS: I have taken Lyft from the Brooklyn terminal to JFK and LaGuardia without incident. I don't see any need to pay extra for the ferry and go in the wrong direction if you just intend to Uber/Lyft from Wall Street to LGA or JFK.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

For LaGuardia and JFK, I don't see why you would take the ferry to Wall Street. For LaGuardia that takes you out of the way and makes you drive the full length of Manhattan. For JFK, it takes you in the complete opposite direction.

PS: I have taken Lyft from the Brooklyn terminal to JFK and LaGuardia without incident. I don't see any need to pay extra for the ferry and go in the wrong direction if you just intend to Uber/Lyft from Wall Street to LGA or JFK.

Thanks.  That's good info and exactly what we were looking for.

Edited by Robkat

1 hour ago, Robkat said:

Check out the ferry route map at ferry.nyc. You want to be on the east side of the East River. You’ll notice that North Williamsburg ferry stop is closer to LGA; however, it means taking the ferry to Wall Street and transferring to the East River route ferry. A bit of a pain but depending on how you feel about the traffic around Red Hook it may give you an alternative. Good luck…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much! On our Meraviglia cruise last May we had a heck of a time getting an Uber pick up. Just when we thought one was coming they would cancel. This happened several times. We ended up waiting about 30-35 minutes. We are leaving this Sunday for Bermuda. Although we usually Uber to and from the port from Penn Station I think we will definitely consider taking the ferry on debarkation day. 

7 minutes ago, noshoobie said:

Thank you so much! On our Meraviglia cruise last May we had a heck of a time getting an Uber pick up. Just when we thought one was coming they would cancel. This happened several times. We ended up waiting about 30-35 minutes. We are leaving this Sunday for Bermuda. Although we usually Uber to and from the port from Penn Station I think we will definitely consider taking the ferry on debarkation day. 

If your destination is Penn Station, then the Ferry is a good option for sure!

4 hours ago, noshoobie said:

Thank you so much! On our Meraviglia cruise last May we had a heck of a time getting an Uber pick up. Just when we thought one was coming they would cancel. This happened several times. We ended up waiting about 30-35 minutes. 

That's happened to us every time we're in Miami and Ft Lauderdale - at the airport and the cruise terminal with both Uber and Lyft! Usually it's just "poof" they're gone and another car is ordered. This past trip, they were supposedly right there and "the meter is running" but we were in the exact spot they were but no car matching its description or plate number. Of course you can't review them when you don't actually ride with them. So their 5-star review remains untarnished!!

I have had Lyfts canceled by the driver when they were at the pier. The issue has been they accept the ride to pick me up at debarkation while dropping off a passenger who is embarking. If they go in the lanes for dropping off embarking passengers, they across several lanes of traffic and a median from where they would pick up disembarking passengers and there is no simple way to loop back around. Last time, I had my first ride canceled for this reason as they began driving away from where they dropped off the embarking passengers and realized they couldn't get back to where I was. The second time, I realized this was just going to happen all over again, so I literally chased my driver to where he was dropping off his previous fare and flagged him down.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I have had Lyfts canceled by the driver when they were at the pier. The issue has been they accept the ride to pick me up at debarkation while dropping off a passenger who is embarking. If they go in the lanes for dropping off embarking passengers, they across several lanes of traffic and a median from where they would pick up disembarking passengers and there is no simple way to loop back around. Last time, I had my first ride canceled for this reason as they began driving away from where they dropped off the embarking passengers and realized they couldn't get back to where I was. The second time, I realized this was just going to happen all over again, so I literally chased my driver to where he was dropping off his previous fare and flagged him down.

Wow! You have it dialed in - that makes sense. But you'd think the drivers would have figured it out by now especially at the airports. Thanks for the info - and all your fantastic "live" posts!