Do we need a travel card for just 2 days in Tokyo before the cruise.

JJean

Wondering if it is necessary to buy a travel card for just 2 days or easier to just pay

by the trip. Not sure yet how we are getting from the airport to hotel.

If by “travel card” you are talking about the pre-paid smart cards for subways, trains, buses, taxis, ferries, and convenience stores, it is far easier to buy a travel card. If you are carrying cash and do not mind dealing with vending machines every time you go somewhere, that’s OK too.

22 hours ago, JJean said:

Wondering if it is necessary to buy a travel card for just 2 days or easier to just pay

It would depend on how much travel you intend to do and what kind of a card you get.  I got the Sucia card as we will be there three days before and three days after our cruise.  

If you get the physical card, remember to check and see if you can get any remaining funds back when you leave the country by surrendering the card.  Some allow this, for a small fee, others do not. 

Bottom line - is it necessary - no, not necessary.  It may be more convenient than having to carry cash and change. 

If you're referring to IC cards (Suica or Pasmo, if you're landing in Tokyo first), keep in mind that they can be used throughout the whole country, not just in Tokyo or Osaka or wherever you bought it. We did most of our ports DIY and it would've been the worst hassle to buy paper tickets every single time we needed them.

• Like 2

I'm only going to be there for two nights and first night, due to late arrival from the states, I am staying in one of the wonderful airport hotels.  I have some Yen and plan to use the Keikyu Bus so I can easily take my luggage.  If you are arriving at HND airport, stop at the Bus counter and they will help you out.  I think you can buy the tickets at the counter as well with a credit card...but can't say positively.  The bus is going to take us very close to the Shinko Pier but it's going to depend on your pier and ability.  https://www.keikyu-bus.co.jp/en/airport/h-yamashita/

Posted (edited)

We have been to Tokyo / Japan a couple of times and never bothered to buy a suica card or to install it on my phone. Paying for the tickets as we went was OK, easy and worked well.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 11:54 AM, JJean said:

Just back from 14-night, Tokyo to Tokyo cruise PLUS 15 nights ashore on our own. Japanese cities (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka) are inundated with tourists! - locals and Westerners - as well as a large population! You don't NEED an IC card for 2 days BUT depending where and what you are doing on your full day, some Yen could be very convenient, to avoid long lines at Travel kiosks.