Live from Nieuw Statendam 14 day Canary Island Allure April 21 - May 5, 2024

It is an interesting docking position as we are very close to the end of the airport's very short runway.  It is a commercial port and very busy but it would be possible to walk to Casemates Square in about 15/20 mins.

Today a shuttle service was provided and the cost was £2 or €3 each directionto Casemates Square.  I understand from a fellow cruiser that a taxi was charging €20 each direction.  The taxis held 8 so if you are a group of 7 or 8 it is better to use a taxi instead of waiting for a shuttle (which are the same 8 seater vans as used by the taxis!)

Many of the stores were closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Stores accept euro at an acceptable rate as well as British Pounds.  The rate offered for usd was not so attractive.

$1.30 = £1

€1.15 = £1

No rate offers for Loonies 🤔

Their is a "duty free shop" in the cruise terminal (and free wifi) but prices are cheaper in the town.

• Like 2

I got a good laugh this morning when I received a text message on my phone saying "welcome to Spain" and a few minutes later a message saying "welcome to Gibraltar" followed a few more minutes later with "welcome to Spain" again. And so it went on until I realised that when I was on the starboard side of the ship, which was docked facing the town, I would receive the "welcome to Gibraltar" message, but when I moved to the port side, which is facing the Spanish mainland town of Algeciris, I would receive the "welcome to Spain" message. Politics at play.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thank you for posting the menus. I’m seeing some interesting new items that I can’t wait to try on the Rotterdam next week. I saw baba ghanoush on there…. my favorite! 🥰

• Like 1

It's been wonderful to get all this information, thank you!  Could you let me know if the port talks are being televised?  Thanks again!

• Like 1

We are needing to cancel our private tour tomorrow with Spain Day Tours. Already paid company. Just sent company an email. If interested, wexare in cabin 5187. Barb snd Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, acis said:

It's been wonderful to get all this information, thank you!  Could you let me know if the port talks are being televised?  Thanks again!

I have not noticed that they are being televised, either live or delayed tx.  If i see the CD around i will ask.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A sea day so lunch is avalable in both MDR and Pinnacle Grill.

MDR Lunch menu

Screenshot_20240501_090820_AdobeAcrobat.thumb.jpg.92ebb4c95c4212d5c80be84d831d0fc1.jpg

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lauren and John said:

Hi. A note to Navybikermom:  the food has been great, but for some reason the babaganoush serving size would fit into a thimble. Just a heads up to ask about the size in advance!

Thank you - I will order more! 😁

• Like 1

An observation on the menus.

This is a 14 day sailing and there would seem to be 14 different menus for Lido lunch, lido dinner and MDR dinner.  The lido late snack appears to be a 7 day rotation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The bathrobe price is now $55, but still a great way to use up non refundable OBC and having pleasant memories

20240501_132357.thumb.jpg.c26224fcdd2852e3275a34e0cb9106df.jpg

They are very nice.  Hopefully you ordered with enough time to get your robe monogrammed.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I noticed on our last cruise in January, the shore excursions talk was available for in-room viewing at any time, but not the port talks.  I guess it depends on the $$$ generated!

• Like 1