Live from Nieuw Statendam 14 day Canary Island Allure April 21 - May 5, 2024

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from VMax1700! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

VMax1700 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

The 2024 European cruise season is starting and we are booked on Nieuw Statendam's first cruise as she has just transversed the Atlantic and will be home porting in Rotterdam for a couple of cruises.  

This is an interesting itinerary and one that I have not seen offered previously.  April is just a nice time to hit Las Canarias as the temperatures should be in the early 20'sC (that is 70°F for the unconverted!).

Here is the route:

E4M14A_mobile_2x.thumb.webp.a165cb0112fc822c1cc0e35eb33d26b2.webp

More to follow........

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 4

• VMax1700 changed the title to Live from Nieuw Statendam 14 day Canary Island Allure April 21 - May 5, 2024
11 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The 2024 European cruise season is starting and we are booked on Nieuw Statendam's first cruise as she has just transversed the Atlantic and will be home porting in Rotterdam for a couple of cruises.  

This is an interesting itinerary and one that I have not seen offered previously.  April is just a nice time to hit Las Canarias as the temperatures should be in the early 20'sC (that is 70°F for the unconverted!).

Here is the route:

E4M14A_mobile_2x.thumb.webp.a165cb0112fc822c1cc0e35eb33d26b2.webp

More to follow........

Nice itinerary.

Very similar to our Canary Islands cruises from Southampton on P&O although we tend to port in Lisbon and Cadiz rather than Gibraltar and A Corunna.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Nice itinerary.

Very similar to our Canary Islands cruises from Southampton on P&O although we tend to port in Lisbon and Cadiz rather than Gibraltar and A Corunna.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks!

Next year they are offering a similar itinerary from Dover. Visits Funchal, Tenerife, Lanzarote, Casablanca, Agadir and Porto.  It sails from Rotterdam too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Such a nice trip!  The Canary Islands are interesting, and very different from most destinations.  We learned alot while visiting them......hoping you have a fabulous cruise!

• Thanks 1

Good evening from the 10th floor of the Rotterdam Hilton.  It is cold, wet and windy here this evening.

Our flight from Cork was 25 minutes late departing but only 15 minutes late on Amsterdam arrival.  We had no delays at passport control and collected our bags quickly and then headed down to platform 5 to board the 9.10pm Inter City Direct train to Rotterdam.  It was only 35 minutes from Schiphol to Rotterdam Centraal. Remembering to 'Tap out' of the train journey it was only a short walk to the hotel.

Now it is time to catch up one the 'Sprint Qualifying' for the F1 and then to bed.

Good night from Rotterdam.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Good evening from the 10th floor of the Rotterdam Hilton.  It is cold, wet and windy here this evening.

Our flight from Cork was 25 minutes late departing but only 15 minutes late on Amsterdam arrival.  We had no delays at passport control and collected our bags quickly and then headed down to platform 5 to board the 9.10pm Inter City Direct train to Rotterdam.  It was only 35 minutes from Schiphol to Rotterdam Centraal. Remembering to 'Tap out' of the train journey it was only a short walk to the hotel.

Now it is time to catch up one the 'Sprint Qualifying' for the F1 and then to bed.

Ahh. Forgot this was a sprint race this weekend. Interesting itinerary. Had a stop in Gibraltar last year and really enjoyed it. Watch out though because those monkeys know how to open zippers on bags and backpacks!!

I will be following your thread with great anticipation @VMax1700 as I board the ship on the voyage after yours. We will also be staying at the Hilton for a day pre-cruise and wondering how long it took to walk from the train station. It looks pretty close on the map but I have not been to Rotterdam and distances on maps can be misleading. I expect we will Uber from the hotel to the ship. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

8 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

I will be following your thread with great anticipation @VMax1700 as I board the ship on the voyage after yours. We will also be staying at the Hilton for a day pre-cruise and wondering how long it took to walk from the train station. It looks pretty close on the map but I have not been to Rotterdam and distances on maps can be misleading. I expect we will Uber from the hotel to the ship. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

Although the Marriott is adjacent to the train station, the Hilton is no too far to walk.  DW has walking difficulties and it was a cold wet night, but she managed no problem.

We did not pre purchase train tickets, but used our debit cards to tap in and tap out.

The train departs from the station underneath the airport.  We used a luggage trolley and descended to the track level by elevator.  The train to Rotterdam departs from track 5 or 6.  Keep an eye on the tv monitors above the platform for updated information.  Also ensure it is an Inter City Direct train that you board - only 25 minutes to Rotterdam.  

There are a couple of steps up to the carriage, but they are manageable.  When you arrive in Rotterdam Central, exit the platform (elevator/escalator) and turn right.  You should be heading towards Platform 1 which is the nearest to the exit that you need.  At the station exit (remember to tap out if using debit/credit card) and cross the square and tram tracks in front of you.  You should see the Marriott.  When you reach the pavement turn left and it is a straight and level walk to the Hilton.  You cross two streets, but there are crossings.

The fare was charged to our debit card today of 14.50 euro each.

• Thanks 6

8 hours ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

I am afraid the weather looks pretty ghastly for today and tomorrow looking forward to catching up on board.

Rosalyn

Today has turned out ok. a few showers and sunny spells, but still that cold wind.  We need to go south!

19 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We loved sailing a very similar itinerary many years ago.  One of my favorites!  As mentioned, we also left from Southampton.

Thank you for outlining the steps from baggage claims to train platform in AMS, and to "tap out" once in Rotterdam.  I have always wondered what would happen if that step is forgotten.  We will be flying in from Germany in 3 weeks.

Have a great cruise!!!

• Thanks 1

The detailed instructions on getting from Schipol (AMS) by train are great. Thank you. I am already saving them to Evernote for future reference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

The detailed instructions on getting from Schipol (AMS) by train are great. Thank you. I am already saving them to Evernote for future reference.

I found the worst part of the journey was the disorientation after arriving at Rotterdam Centraal.  The most important thing is to follow declining platform numbers towards  platform 1.  Marriott is straight ahead and Hilton is turn left as you approach the Marriott.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I found the worst part of the journey was the disorientation after arriving at Rotterdam Centraal.  The most important thing is to follow declining platform numbers towards  platform 1.  Marriott is straight ahead and Hilton is turn left as you approach the Marriott.

Did you see taxi's after exiting the train station?  We will have to take one to our hotel because the tram does not go there.  It's over the bridge near the port.

P.S. - Just saw the following on the news.  You will have to look it up because I was unable to link.  "Massive anti-tourist demonstration kicks off in Tenerife"

Edited by Iamthesea