Live Celebrity Constellation 23 April 2024 Rome to Ravenna

surfnsun

8 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Thanks for all the tips. I'm taking notes. The tour from Brindisi seems exactly our style. How long was it total from pick up to drop off, and how much time did you have in each town? I really do not want to spend all day looking out a car/van window with only very limited time wandering or actually touring.

The great thing about Alessandro's tour from Brindisi is he starts by giving you several options of places to go and things to do.  For the time we had in port, we could choose up to four items.  We chose 3 towns and one food and wine experience.  We did get into port late and did not anticipate having to shuttle, so our time in Ostuni was shorter than we would of liked.   That coupled with a three course lunch with three healthy pours of different wine.  An hours drive to Alberobello which was the farthest point, then we made our way back with stops for lunch, touring Martina Franca, and touring Ostuni.  Finally,  a half hour drive back to catch the shuttle.  We started about 1045am and back about 520pm to catch the shuttle.  All aboard was 630pm.  We had about an hour, I think at each location except Ostuni was about 30 minutes.  It was fabulous and a delicious, enjoyable lunch, but if I had to do it again,  I would skip a long sit down lunch and spend more time touring the town.  I'm giving you all this detail because as I said earlier,  it a private tour so pricey enough for me to consider selling a family member to recover.  😆  I hope that's helpful and happy to answer any additional questions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nixieh said:

What an amazing live thread. We are doing same itinerary in August so following with great interest. Your pictures are stunning and your reviews are hilarious. Just wondering if you have seem the lemon San Pellegrino soda on board (see picture below). I don’t enjoy alcohol or coke products so always on the lookout for what choices of soda or virgin cocktails are on board. Hopefully I can get Virgin strawberry daiquiris somewhere on the ship 🤣

Thanks agai

IMG_4558.webp

Thank you for your kind comments!  I'll check later today and let you know so stayed tune.  And you will love that virgin daiquiri aft at the Sunset Bar at sailaway, but get an early seat at its a very popular place!

4 hours ago, surfnsun said:

The great thing about Alessandro's tour from Brindisi is he starts by giving you several options of places to go and things to do.  For the time we had in port, we could choose up to four items.  We chose 3 towns and one food and wine experience.  We did get into port late and did not anticipate having to shuttle, so our time in Ostuni was shorter than we would of liked.   That coupled with a three course lunch with three healthy pours of different wine.  An hours drive to Alberobello which was the farthest point, then we made our way back with stops for lunch, touring Martina Franca, and touring Ostuni.  Finally,  a half hour drive back to catch the shuttle.  We started about 1045am and back about 520pm to catch the shuttle.  All aboard was 630pm.  We had about an hour, I think at each location except Ostuni was about 30 minutes.  It was fabulous and a delicious, enjoyable lunch, but if I had to do it again,  I would skip a long sit down lunch and spend more time touring the town.  I'm giving you all this detail because as I said earlier,  it a private tour so pricey enough for me to consider selling a family member to recover.  😆  I hope that's helpful and happy to answer any additional questions.

This is super helpful information, thank you!!! We too would skip the long and huge lunch in favor of small bites here and there and lots of gelato while strolling. Did you get a list of options before the excursion day, so you could research and decide? Maybe we would skip Alberobello and have more time in Martina Franca and Ostuni Less drive time too. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to everyone!

5 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

This is super helpful information, thank you!!! We too would skip the long and huge lunch in favor of small bites here and there and lots of gelato while strolling. Did you get a list of options before the excursion day, so you could research and decide? Maybe we would skip Alberobello and have more time in Martina Franca and Ostuni Less drive time too. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to everyone!

Below are the list of options emailed to us and we were invited to pick up to four.  I also got the impression he was open to customizing the tour as I asked about Poliginano Mare and he would go there but could only do one other item as it is a further car ride.  Fabrizio confirmed too that Alberobello was about the furthest they recommend if you want to see more.  Fab also mentioned that Alberobello was the usual spot for tourists of the options and could get very crowded depending on the time of year and time of day.  Morning is better.  But Alberobello is probably the most unique with the trullis and we were glad to see it.  For all the towns, make sure you shoes with good traction as it's all limestone and slippery.  How many people are in your party and what time of year are you traveling?

Our options were...

a) visit of Martina Franca with its elegant baroque architcture
b) visit of Locorotondo, the quaint round village
c) visit of Ostuni, the white city
d) visit of Alberobello and its Unesco trulli
e) visit of Brindisi, the gate to the Orient
f) wine tasting at a winery or wine shop belonging to the winemaker
g) olive oil mill visit and olive oil tasting
h) visit of a wine and olive oil farm with wine and olive oil tasting
i) visit to a shop belonging to a producer to taste some local cheese, pork meat charcuterie (capocollo, salami, etc.)
  • Like 3

We bring you this brief intermission with an advertisement.  Not to give you stagefright or anything, as I'm literally shaking in the boots I wore to the sailaway party (true story), but I just a received a notice that this live review has been selected by LauraS as a feature review selected from all cruiselines on the Cruise Reports page.  You go, Connie!  An old bad a*s, nonetheless.  Thanks for your support all!  OK, commercial break over 😆

• Like 19

Speaking of sailaway parties, the weather gods did not quite make it to Split today, but held off long enough to meet the approval of the Captain to have a Concierge Class party on the helipad.  The rain held off just long enough to allow us some brief time on the helipad.  Here is the route we took...preceeded by a couple of my favorite shots along the way and an obvious landbased fan waiting on the port rocks to take photos.  I can relate...o

20240501_171634.jpg

20240501_165427.jpg

20240501_164001.jpg

20240501_164620.jpg

20240501_164908.jpg

20240501_165105.jpg

20240501_165618.jpg

20240501_170041.jpg

20240501_170145.jpg

20240501_170805.jpg

20240501_171031.jpg

• Like 9

I kinda figured we'd be totally spent by the time we reached Split, as was such the case.  I think we were one of the last ones off the ship and we were in port about four hours.  But we got our touring fix satisfied with even a glass of wine in at the Cafe.  It's a walk from the dock into the city.  We sprung for a taxi there and help from a bike guy on the way back.  Worth the Euro.  Of course, our main sightseeing option was the castle and surrounding area.  These are not the best photos, perhaps compared to previous ones, but an attempt to give you an idea of what to expect.  Cool stuff, for sure.  And I find it funny the birds could give a poop about the antibird spikes.

20240501_122521.jpg

20240501_112050.jpg

20240501_112021.jpg

20240501_111551.jpg

20240501_114042.jpg

20240501_113956.jpg

20240501_113341.jpg

20240501_114235.jpg

20240501_115136.jpg

20240501_114843.jpg

20240501_114806.jpg

20240501_114710.jpg

20240501_115554.jpg

20240501_120531.jpg

20240501_121915.jpg

20240501_123200.jpg

20240501_123841.jpg

20240501_124300.jpg

• Like 10

Ok, so someone asked me a while ago about Chic Evening and weather a cocktail dress or a sundress is ok.  This evening as I look around in the Rendezvous Lounge, I would have to say it depends on how serious you are about the true cruise experience and what you want to make of it.  It really also depends on where you wish to hang out on the ship.  I love seeing those dressed up.  So, my answer is wear the cocktail dress!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, surfnsun said:

We bring you this brief intermission with an advertisement.  Not to give you stagefright or anything, as I'm literally shaking in the boots I wore to the sailaway party (true story), but I just a received a notice that this live review has been selected by LauraS as a feature review selected from all cruiselines on the Cruise Reports page.  You go, Connie!  An old bad a*s, nonetheless.  Thanks for your support all!  OK, commercial break over 😆

CONGRATS..WELL DESERVED!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hcat said:

CONGRATS..WELL DESERVED!

Aw thanks, hcat.  I really didn't know what it all meant.  Until I saw the "rare" thing on our profile and the cute little doohickey thingyaboper cruise ship logo on our profile as well.   I've seen that on other profiles and had no clue.  Good fun.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Anyway...tonight was really busy in dining.   Because it was chic night, but more importantly lobster night!  Everyone came out from the bowels of the ship to the top of the highest category to enjoy.  I mean, where the heck have some of these people been?  And they all were having such a good time.  Not a good shot of the lobster but you might appreciate.   Small but flavorful.

20240501_191158.jpg

20240501_200324.jpg

Edited by surfnsun
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Nixieh said:

What an amazing live thread. We are doing same itinerary in August so following with great interest. Your pictures are stunning and your reviews are hilarious. Just wondering if you have seem the lemon San Pellegrino soda on board (see picture below). I don’t enjoy alcohol or coke products so always on the lookout for what choices of soda or virgin cocktails are on board. Hopefully I can get Virgin strawberry daiquiris somewhere on the ship 🤣

Thanks again

IMG_4559.webp

IMG_4558.webp

It appears the best place to get something like this may be at the sunset bar or cafe.  I asked for it and this is what I received.   Although the waiter did say there were other options other places on the ship.  You can at least get this...

20240501_184838.jpg

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, surfnsun said:

It appears the best place to get something like this may be at the sunset bar or cafe.  I asked for it and this is what I received.   Although the waiter did say there were other options other places on the ship.  You can at least get this...

20240501_184838.jpg

Oh that’s perfect thank you so much. You have been so kind and generous with your time for us soon to be cruisers. Congrats on being picked as a top trip report - so well deserved.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, surfnsun said:

You deserve a BIG award for being the best blogger ever!🏆 You are so kind with your time, your (and Watson’s) detective skills are outstanding, your pictures are fab and you are a born comedian.😂 

I am a little sad that your cruise is almost over, have thoroughly enjoyed waking up each morning for a daily dose of “SurfnSun”. Thanks again for letting us cruise with you! 🛳️🥰

I would love to have a chance to follow you guys along to Venice. 

GRAZIE MILLI A TUTTI !!! 🇮🇹🙌🏻

☺️ Jannike 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CruiseSWE said:

You deserve a BIG award for being the best blogger ever!🏆 You are so kind with your time, your (and Watson’s) detective skills are outstanding, your pictures are fab and you are a born comedian.😂 

I am a little sad that your cruise is almost over, have thoroughly enjoyed waking up each morning for a daily dose of “SurfnSun”. Thanks again for letting us cruise with you! 🛳️🥰

☺️ Jannike 

I totally concur!  Exceptionally well presented, great pics both pre-cruise and during!  Fun, factual, entertaining and not superfluous.  THANKS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CruiseSWE said:

☺️ Jannike 

Thanks to all for your kind comments!  And Jannike, you are welcome to follow along to Venice.  We are actually staying in Ravenna one night at what appears to be a cute B&B in a less touristy town, so I get a break from ninjaing.  😊.  Then we proceed to Venice for 3 nights which we've never been but heard it can be quite boring so I booked 2 full days of fantastic tours and will take lots of photos and continue to write.  😆.  Now, on to Zadar, Croatia!...

• Like 4

It's a beautiful morning in Zadar, although they are calling for storms later this afternoon.  We purchased shuttle tickets to go into Old Town, which is near the Sea Organ, I hope.  Sounds interesting,  pun intended.  Here are photos that provide additional information about the shuttle, along with today's pattern patter.

20240502_075255.jpg

20240502_075133.jpg

20240502_075109.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, CruiseSWE said:

☺️ Jannike 

I agree 100%

I too look forward to reading the post's each morning in the UK 😊 

Will definitely miss them when your cruise ends!

I have just booked the Portugal to Argentina for Nov 2025

I would love to read interesting info like yours before we go.

Very lucky people who are about to do this similar cruise having all your well documented info!

Great job & many thanks again, well deserved recognition 👏 

Btw, I have never heard of Venice being boring 🙃 😳

It's anything but......

Fantastic, fascinating city with loads to see and do.

We have been 3 time's and love it.

If you get a chance to go to Burano it is absolutely stunning.

Enjoy getting "lost" in Venice 😉

1 hour ago, Chrisclaire said:

I agree 100%

I too look forward to reading the post's each morning in the UK 😊 

Will definitely miss them when your cruise ends!

I have just booked the Portugal to Argentina for Nov 2025

I would love to read interesting info like yours before we go.

Very lucky people who are about to do this similar cruise having all your well documented info!

Great job & many thanks again, well deserved recognition 👏 

Btw, I have never heard of Venice being boring 🙃 😳

It's anything but......

Fantastic, fascinating city with loads to see and do.

We have been 3 time's and love it.

If you get a chance to go to Burano it is absolutely stunning.

Enjoy getting "lost" in Venice 😉

Thank you for your kind comments!  I love the UK!  I used to travel for work there at least 6 times a year for about 5 years. Still love to go back. The boring Venice comment was a joke.  My morning jokes aren't as humorous. 🙃  But I did forget to mention we scored a waterfront hotel in Venice!  Yes, one of our previously arranged tours include Burano!  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Your photo lesson for the day...I'm sitting outside on a beautiful day about noon and Watsons gotta go.  No change for the potty, which is a perfect excuse for me to say, I'll gladly sit at that Cafe and have a glass (two is better) of wine so you can use the cafe facilities.   I turn around and over my shoulder is a beautiful Roman pillar.  So, you ask, did you lay splayed out at the foot of this pillar in the middle of the cafe to take this photo?  It was tempting as I might have been thrown some change for the next potty stop.  But no.  I turned the camera on selfie, held it out in front of me, and tipped the top down so it pointing to the floor.  Then click and voilà!  Here you go...

20240502_114744.jpg

• Like 13

wow.. great shot!

Glad you have been recognized by CC.   It is not easy to do these on line reviews, esp with photos and such amazing commentary. Thanks again.

When is your next cruise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

wow.. great shot!

Glad you have been recognized by CC.   It is not easy to do these on line reviews, esp with photos and such amazing commentary. Thanks again.

When is your next cruise?

Haven't booked it yet!😂😂

23 hours ago, surfnsun said:

How many people are in your party and what time of year are you traveling?

Our options were...

a) visit of Martina Franca with its elegant baroque architcture
b) visit of Locorotondo, the quaint round village
c) visit of Ostuni, the white city
d) visit of Alberobello and its Unesco trulli
e) visit of Brindisi, the gate to the Orient
f) wine tasting at a winery or wine shop belonging to the winemaker
g) olive oil mill visit and olive oil tasting
h) visit of a wine and olive oil farm with wine and olive oil tasting
i) visit to a shop belonging to a producer to taste some local cheese, pork meat charcuterie (capocollo, salami, etc.)

Just my husband and me, unless we find other interested people on the roll call.

9 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

Just my husband and me, unless we find other interested people on the roll call.

I'm sure they can accommodate more, but Fabrizio has a KIA sedan which is ideal for 2.  4 would work if not too tall/robust (their words not mine).  I would say the reason smaller groups are better is for parking.  I saw no large tour busses in most places and few vans even.  Larger vehicles have to park further,  if they can be accommodated at all.   And then you have to walk. The guide stays with you the whole time, so he drops you on the sidewalk then parks close by and runs to greet you.  We never waited more than 2 minutes for Fabrizio.  Alessandro will let you know how many he can accommodate with his partners and I recommend you ask first.  But I think you will maximize your time with fewer for parking reasons.  I asked about the time of year because summer is very busy and can be tougher to navigate the streets, so best to plan accordingly.   Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1