Please ask John Heald a question for me (wifi related)

I do not have Facebook.  Can someone please ask John Heald a question for me?

Why is wifi calling blocked on Carnival cruise ships?  Is it because of their with agreement with Wireless Maritime Services?  Is there a security reason?  Network congestion or other technical reason?  Wifi calling works on their competitor's ships, Royal Caribbean.

I find it frustrating that I can't receive multi factor authentication codes via text message for certain sites/services I need to access such as banking and work related sites.  I couldn't even use VPN for work.  However, VPNs being blocked, I can somewhat understand that.

I can change the ports used by my VPN and it works fine.

I think Google Voice works. I think RCS messaging works. Perhaps the sites you are trying to reach could send an email instead?

Princess doesn't block WiFi calls, either. I just accept the things I can't change and try to find alternatives.

• Like 1

Google voice calling does not work, only messaging works on all of the ships ive been on

I think it is due to a technical limitation of the current system that the ships currently have. As more ships get upgraded to starlink, that should improve connectivity for wifi calling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

Why waste your time? He's not going to tell you why and you already know why. At the end of the day it doesn't matter why.

Nor does he know why.  He often contradicts the information given by our resident ship engineers.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shof515 said:

Google voice calling does not work, only messaging works on all of the ships ive been on

I think it is due to a technical limitation of the current system that the ships currently have. As more ships get upgraded to starlink, that should improve connectivity for wifi calling.

I think all Carnival ships have Starlink now, which could be the reason, but Princess also has Starlink and WiFi calls work.

Once upon a time, WiFi calls did work on Carnival 

• Like 1

I think Carnival blocks wifi calling and texting for some financial reason that is as bizarre as no bacon or sauteed mushrooms.  Other cruise lines have these items and with Carnival's full ships and higher prices there really isn't a reasonable explanation. I  just complain on my surveys and prepare a workaround.  When I think it is a big enough issue, I will cruise elsewhere. 

• Like 2

I’ve use FaceTime and it works. I called my sister in Indiana.  

Also, on one cruise, only I had WiFi and my husband was on the balcony and I texted him from the cabin.  It worked.  

I think some of these scenarios work but officially Carnival doesn’t support it just because sometimes it doesn’t work.  

Just my theory.  

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I think Carnival blocks wifi calling and texting for some financial reason that is as bizarre as no bacon or sauteed mushrooms.  Other cruise lines have these items and with Carnival's full ships and higher prices there really isn't a reasonable explanation. I  just complain on my surveys and prepare a workaround.  When I think it is a big enough issue, I will cruise elsewhere. 

Yes, I have one more Carnival cruise left.  I only booked it to compare Celebration Key to Coco Cay.

I think the financial reason is their agreement with Wireless Maritime Services.

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, audcc77 said:

I’ve use FaceTime and it works. I called my sister in Indiana.  

Also, on one cruise, only I had WiFi and my husband was on the balcony and I texted him from the cabin.  It worked.  

I think some of these scenarios work but officially Carnival doesn’t support it just because sometimes it doesn’t work.  

Just my theory.  

We use FaceTime, Messenger, What'sApp and Gmail. They are great for people you expect to have contact with.  It doesn't help for a random call that you might get that you weren't expecting such as a Dr's office, appt. scheduling, or a neighbor trying to get in touch with you about your property.  I've gotten used to that communication on other lines.  If you have an IPhone, then I think a lot of texts still go through.  I haven't had that luck with Android.       

• Like 1