Upgrade Offer

mcoler181

We are booked in an YC Interior for 5 nights, I had an upgrade offer for a deluxe suite. The lowest offer is £770 in total so we aren't going to bother.

Question though, when I looked there are still 19 of these cabins available to book, if they don't sell out is there the possibility of a free upgrade or would they just leave the room allocations as they are?

Starting a trip with hopes of a free upgrade seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. With a 99% likelihood that it won't materialize, you're better off settling into your original plans from the get-go.

Moving from a YC interior to YC balcony often requires a bid that is more than if you booked the YC balcony in the first place (early).  The minimum bid is frequently just a few hundred less and not worth the loss of cabin choice and getting the least desired cabins.

Those YC balcony cabins will be awarded to bidders from regular balcony cabins where the bid amounts are more reasonable, especially for those who booked without drinks, internet, etc....

There's a small chance corporate won't 100% fill the YC so it may be worthwhile to ask the concierge as soon as you board.

17 minutes ago, Até said:

Moving from a YC interior to YC balcony often requires a bid that is more than if you booked the YC balcony in the first place (early).  The minimum bid is frequently just a few hundred less and not worth the loss of cabin choice and getting the least desired cabins.

Those YC balcony cabins will be awarded to bidders from regular balcony cabins where the bid amounts are more reasonable, especially for those who booked without drinks, internet, etc....

There's a small chance corporate won't 100% fill the YC so it may be worthwhile to ask the concierge as soon as you board.

Yeah the lowest bid plus what we have already paid is actually more than the current advertised price. 

25 minutes ago, maclover said:

Starting a trip with hopes of a free upgrade seems like setting yourself up for disappointment. With a 99% likelihood that it won't materialize, you're better off settling into your original plans from the get-go.

Not sure how you took that as me hoping for a free upgrade, not really too bothered about cabin category. We pretty much always go for the cheapest option as we use the cabin for sleeping and getting ready.

If they did upgrade us for free though, I would certainly accept it. 😂

I am in shock. We are sailing MSC in 2 weeks, and we just received a free upgrade from an inside to a balcony on a Bella experience.  As @maclover said, I was mildly hopeful but aware that the odds were low.  The ship must not be full so why not upgrade guests and impress them?  There is no additional cost to the company.

I wonder if it is random or they select passengers based on data.  We're new to MSC, but our status match transfer says we are frequent cruisers.  This upgrade certainly is "points in the column" for cruising MSC again.  My husband is a data manager, so I have to believe there's a process here in decision-making.  

....or maybe we just got lucky.  Whatever.  We're excited.

4 hours ago, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I am in shock. We are sailing MSC in 2 weeks, and we just received a free upgrade from an inside to a balcony on a Bella experience.  As @maclover said, I was mildly hopeful but aware that the odds were low.  The ship must not be full so why not upgrade guests and impress them?  There is no additional cost to the company.

I wonder if it is random or they select passengers based on data.  We're new to MSC, but our status match transfer says we are frequent cruisers.  This upgrade certainly is "points in the column" for cruising MSC again.  My husband is a data manager, so I have to believe there's a process here in decision-making.  

....or maybe we just got lucky.  Whatever.  We're excited.

Our first cruise with MSC, we had done status match but just to low classic level and got free upgrade to balcony. 👌

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 12:52 PM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

I’m curious about this as well. We have been invited to upgrade on some cruises but not on others.

Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m curious about this as well. We have been invited to upgrade on some cruises but not on others.

Seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I suspect it depends on how full the sailing is and what sort of cabins are selling well at that particular point.

We are in a YC interior in June which have sold out, there are quite a lot of YC Balcony Suites left and we have been offered an upgrade to one. 

• Like 1

Well, this is interesting.  After we received the free upgrade to a balcony, I got the standard request to bid on an upgrade.  The cheapest upgrade was to a balcony on Aurea for $600 per person.  We declined and "took the win," as my husband quipped.

I am also curious about MSC's decision-making process.