Booking excursions

Medeba

Quite by chance I came across information on the Saga website about the timescales for booking excursions for Saga ocean cruises for the remainder of this year.  I thought it might be helpful to post the link (for those people, like me, who were ignorant of the existence of this information!):

https://travel.saga.co.uk/cruises/ocean/the-saga-cruise-experience/explore-ashore/excursion-availability.aspx

• Thanks 3

The system is now that passengers receive an email at 9am on the appointed day to say that excursions may be booked for that particular cruise. It’s easy to then book and pay online through Manage My Booking but reading through all the options can take some time!

Gone are the days when we received a lovely cruise book which acted as a permanent souvenir. 

May I also say that printed copies are no longer sent out so anyone who does not use email and Manage My Booking is really disadvantaged in choosing and booking their preferred options by phone or onboard. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kohima said:

May I also say that printed copies are no longer sent out so anyone who does not use email and Manage My Booking is really disadvantaged in choosing and booking their preferred options by phone or onboard. 

Yes, I agree.  That's partly why I posted the link to the website so at least people will know when the excursions are available.  I, for one, have put the dates relevant to me in my diary so I can keep an eye out for the email or, if it doesn't arrive on the published date, I can go online and have a look.

3 hours ago, Kohima said:

The system is now that passengers receive an email at 9am on the appointed day to say that excursions may be booked for that particular cruise. It’s easy to then book and pay online through Manage My Booking but reading through all the options can take some time!

Gone are the days when we received a lovely cruise book which acted as a permanent souvenir. 

Some passengers do receive an email but not all. We are registered for email but received no information about excursions available to book for our most recent 2 cruises. It all seems to be rather a lottery now.

9 minutes ago, david05 said:

Some passengers do receive an email but not all. We are registered for email but received no information about excursions available to book for our most recent 2 cruises. It all seems to be rather a lottery now.

I agree that the present situation is far from satisfactory.

Although I have fibre internet access with a home computer, printer and iphone I opt to receive my communications in paper form as I find it more convenient to refer to; also, I like to highlight and annotate important information. Despite this I find increasingly that I receive communications by email only, excursions for my next cruise being a case in point. I do not normally go on excursions preferring to explore independently, so when I received the email 2 days ago I took no immediate action. After reading this thread I decided out of curiosity to have a look and found that several are already sold out even though the cruise is not until July. If I did not have internet access and an email address I would not have even known that they were on sale!

Digital communications definitely have their place but sometimes you can’t beat a paper copy. Anyone who has tried to look at a map on their phone in bright sunlight (and without their reading glasses!) will know what I mean. Sadly, Saga no longer provides paper maps so, for independent exploration, its a case of printing out your own at home or hoping to find a tourist information office which is open.
It’s interesting that Saga’ drive to reduce paper waste (when it suits them) does not extend to the sending out of multiple brochures.

• Like 5

On 4/25/2024 at 10:45 AM, Kohima said:

Digital communications definitely have their place but sometimes you can’t beat a paper copy. Anyone who has tried to look at a map on their phone in bright sunlight (and without their reading glasses!) will know what I mean. Sadly, Saga no longer provides paper maps so, for independent exploration, its a case of printing out your own at home or hoping to find a tourist information office which is open.
It’s interesting that Saga’ drive to reduce paper waste (when it suits them) does not extend to the sending out of multiple brochures.

I get most of my communications digitally -- including bills. No brochures at all from Saga as they don't routinely mail those internationally. (I am flooded with brochures from Viking and Oceania, though.)

With digital communication, I print out the pages I want to keep and highlight. So, yes, paper is consumed, but fewer pages, and it doesn't need to be carted around in airplanes or trucks.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, GerryL13 said:

I get most of my communications digitally -- including bills. No brochures at all from Saga as they don't routinely mail those internationally. (I am flooded with brochures from Viking and Oceania, though.)

With digital communication, I print out the pages I want to keep and highlight. So, yes, paper is consumed, but fewer pages, and it doesn't need to be carted around in airplanes or trucks.

That is your personal choice. Not everyone however, has an internet connection, home computer and printer. Indeed, a survey by AgeUK earlier this month ( https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/articles/2024/more-than-1-in-3-over-65s-4.7-million-lack-the-basic-skills-to-use-the-internet-successfully/  ) indicated that more than one in three of the over 65s - Saga's main clientelle - lack the basic skills to use the internet succesfully and that one in six do not use it at all.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Denarius said:

That is your personal choice. Not everyone however, has an internet connection, home computer and printer. Indeed, a survey by AgeUK earlier this month ( https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/articles/2024/more-than-1-in-3-over-65s-4.7-million-lack-the-basic-skills-to-use-the-internet-successfully/  ) indicated that more than one in three of the over 65s - Saga's main clientelle - lack the basic skills to use the internet succesfully and that one in six do not use it at all.

You are quite right, Denarius. I have been reflecting on your posts in this thread.  When I started this thread I did not think about those of Saga's clientele who don't use the internet or have email. I imagine it is quite a large number; they are definitely disadvantaged when it comes to knowing when excursions are available for booking.  Indeed, I suspect that those of us who look at CC are a tiny minority of Saga's customers.  Perhaps Saga could send out a copy of the excursions timetable with one of their many mailshots?  At least customers would then be aware when to make a phone call to Saga to book excursions.

Edited by Medeba
  • Like 2

From a business position only sending electronic excursion details makes sense. It saves on printing and postage. And it encourages online booking, which reduces staff costs. The more popular excursions invariably sell out, leaving the onboard destination speakers to drum up interest in those with available spaces during their talks. The demographics are increasingly shifting towards those familiar with online shopping, banking etc. Saga is adapting to that. Digressing, but sticking with the IT theme, why do they ask for cabin details when customers order included drinks? My guess is that data feeds into customer profiles. But I have no idea why they need to monitor how many pots of tea or Gs&T individuals/couples order. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 4:10 PM, Spence55 said:

From a business position only sending electronic excursion details makes sense. It saves on printing and postage. And it encourages online booking, which reduces staff costs. The more popular excursions invariably sell out, leaving the onboard destination speakers to drum up interest in those with available spaces during their talks. The demographics are increasingly shifting towards those familiar with online shopping, banking etc. Saga is adapting to that. Digressing, but sticking with the IT theme, why do they ask for cabin details when customers order included drinks? My guess is that data feeds into customer profiles. But I have no idea why they need to monitor how many pots of tea or Gs&T individuals/couples order.

Hi Spence.
why do they ask for cabin details when customers order included drinks?

I asked this question to a waiter last time I was onboard and his reply was  Stock control.🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Brummijam
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Brummijam said:

Hi Spence.

I asked this question to a waiter last time I was onboard and his reply was  Stock control.🤷🏻‍♂️

Don't need a name for stock control.

Most probably a hangover from the pre all inclusive  days.

Perhaps (I'm  joking) there is a secret algorithm to identify potential drunks

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 5:33 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Don't need a name for stock control.

Most probably a hangover from the pre all inclusive  days.

Perhaps (I'm  joking) there is a secret algorithm to identify potential drunks.

As per Dads army “Don’t tell them Pike” 😂😂

Edited by Brummijam

On 4/30/2024 at 1:21 PM, Brummijam said:

Hi Spence.

I wondered whether it was because some of the guest entertainers are on cheap/free deals and not all-inclusive. Asking for cabin number would bring up guest details and enable billing.

On 4/25/2024 at 8:07 AM, Kohima said:

I am quite happy to book and pay online (via home desktop computer) but find it much, much easier to read a printed brochure - especially when two of us are trying to decide which, if any, excursions to book. And if I had to try and read details on a 'phone or even a tablet, I probably would not even bother.

Keep meaning to ask Saga which deluded soul thought that putting a map on the TV screen and suggesting people take a photo on their phone for shore use was a good idea.

Apart from the fact that even on the TV one has to scroll down to get the whole map, the ship location is rarely, if ever, shown - and our last map was entirely in Spanish.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nosapphire said:

I wondered whether it was because some of the guest entertainers are on cheap/free deals and not all-inclusive. Asking for cabin number would bring up guest details and enable billing.

I am quite happy to book and pay online (via home desktop computer) but find it much, much easier to read a printed brochure - especially when two of us are trying to decide which, if any, excursions to book. And if I had to try and read details on a 'phone or even a tablet, I probably would not even bother.

Keep meaning to ask Saga which deluded soul thought that putting a map on the TV screen and suggesting people take a photo on their phone for shore use was a good idea.

Apart from the fact that even on the TV one has to scroll down to get the whole map, the ship location is rarely, if ever, shown - and our last map was entirely in Spanish.

RE maps. I too would like to know who took this incredibly stupid decision. Apart from the issues you raise, keep getting your phone out to look at a map is not a particularly good idea in many locations unless you want to be mugged for it, and one which I would prefer to avoid. And where does this leave those who do not have one? A few months ago I took a Saga river cruise on SotR and excellent paper maps were provided at every berth. So why cannot they be provided for sea cruises?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Possibly.

I do know that I have complained about this on each questionnaire.

Interesting, when the mid-cruise ship questionnaire comes out, mention anything to do with food and you get an immediate response from the Exec chef to find out how they can help, mention anything to do with cabin and "Mr Fixit" arrives within the hour to have a look and get it fixed.

Mention anything to do with excursion information(lack of) = total silence.

On the final cruise questionnaire, when reaching the "information from Explore Ashore team", sad to say they now get a 2 (or less) rating from me.