How early can I board? (6PM sailaway from Vancouver)

kad56

How early will Princess let me board the ship if there's a 6PM sailaway from Vancouver. I'm trying to plan my day. I might explore Vancouver a bit, but I like to get on the ship as early as possible and explore.

40 minutes ago, kad56 said:

How early will Princess let me board the ship if there's a 6PM sail-away from Vancouver. I'm trying to plan my day. I might explore Vancouver a bit, but I like to get on the ship as early as possible and explore.

You cannot both explore Vancouver and board early.  Get to Van a day or two early for that.  They can open boarding around 11am, but will begin check-in at least an hour before that and you wait until boarding begins if processed early enough.  At Van, I would probably be arriving at the terminal for check-in well before 10am if I wanted to be processed and among the first to board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes,  the above is correct!   

Boarding will not matter when sail-away is.

Everyone from the previous sailing dis-embarks, and they will open the lines in the morning...

The early priority boarding could be at, or before, 11:00.

I would recommend, if possible, seeing Vancouver before, or after your cruise.

Nothing like getting onboard early, before the ship fills up, and getting settled in early!

• Like 1

I think the poster might be saying that they wish to board early, then disembark and look around Vancouver. If that is the case there will be a sign indicating latest boarding time. If no sign ask before you leave the ship. 

You are heavily discouraged from getting off the ship after you get on.  You have to go through Canadian immigration getting off the ship and through US immigration getting back on.  Make sure you have your passport or you won’t be allowed to reboard.

• Like 1

To clarify, I don't plan to embark then disembark. I've been to Vancouver in the past, and I imagine I'll only want to sightsee for an hour or two in the morning and then get on the ship and explore the ship. It sounds like folks are thinking boarding might start by 11 AM, which is earlier than I expected.

Last June I arrived at 10.15am for a 10.30am check in time (there are no longer check in times just a boarding window eg. 11.00am to 3.00pm). There were two ships in port and it was a disorganised terminal with long lines. Even with priority boarding I boarded the ship just before midday. Hopefully the terminal will be better organised this year but if you want to be on early you will need to arrive early for check in and leave exploring Vancouver for another time.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. It's surprising how early you can board with a 6 pm departure. My last cruise was a 4pm departure and the absolute earliest I could board was 11 am (or maybe 10? I'm going off memory)

6 hours ago, kad56 said:

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. It's surprising how early you can board with a 6 pm departure. My last cruise was a 4pm departure and the absolute earliest I could board was 11 am (or maybe 10? I'm going off memory)

I just checked my paperwork for my cruise last June and it was a 4.30pm departure with an all aboard time of 3.15pm. Your check in window may be later than my 10.30am check in, if you have a 6.00pm departure and it will also depend at what time the ship is due to arrive.