Flam Railway

If our ship is scheduled to dock at 10:30 and the Flam Rail schedule says 10:45-11:43 ,,, can we make this train?

I guess the question is does 10:45-11:43 mean the times of the road trip of is 10:45 the boarding time and 11:43 the the actual departure time?

Otherwise all times are sold out for our August cruise. Yikes ...then we have to book the cruise line tour at more than double the price.

Any ideas ?

e

4 minutes ago, Empehi said:

I guess the question is does 10:45-11:43 mean the times of the road trip of is 10:45 the boarding time and 11:43 the the actual departure time?

I think 10:45 is the departure time from Flam and 11:43 is the arrival time at Myrdal, at the other end of the trip.

43 minutes ago, Empehi said:

If our ship is scheduled to dock at 10:30 and the Flam Rail schedule says 10:45-11:43 ,,, can we make this train?

Otherwise all times are sold out for our August cruise. Yikes ...then we have to book the cruise line tour at more than double the price.

Any ideas ?

e

Norway is discussed in the Northern Europe & Baltic Sea Forum. There is lots of information about buying tickets on the Flåm Railway. Just note that it is a train, not a road trip, and, if you wish to get back to your ship, you also need to book a ticket from Myrdal to Flåm unless you plan to cycle or zipline/cycle back down.

If your ship is due to dock at 10:30 you won’t be allowed off until 11:00 or later, so there’s no way you’ll make a 10:45 train.

It’s a very popular train with limited space so I’m not surprised that the departures when the ship’s in dock are already sold out.

5 hours ago, Empehi said:

Any ideas ?

e

You really need to look at the information on the Northern Europe forum. Not all seats are offered to Noway’s Best which is the only one currently selling tickets. Tickets on vy.no only go on sale 60 days before departure. 

7 hours ago, ericosmith said:

it's 90 days

I was just on vy.no before my last post and I put in a date and was told it was more than 60 days before departure.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I was just on vy.no before my last post and I put in a date and was told it was more than 60 days before departure.

That's a misleading statement.  It means to check back 60 days ahead to make sure the schedule hasn't changed.  You can still book at 90.  I have no idea why they don't indicate that on the website.  

1 hour ago, ericosmith said:

That's a misleading statement.  It means to check back 60 days ahead to make sure the schedule hasn't changed.  You can still book at 90.  I have no idea why they don't indicate that on the website.  

Thanks for the clarification. 

I think the cruise lines block book a significant numer of tickets for their own excursions, which explains why tickets get sold out so quickly the days that ships are in port.

Whilst it is annoying that the ship excursions are so much more expensive, I would definitely advise paying the extra if that is the only option. I have ridden the Flam railway twice and it is absolutely spectacular.