"LIVE" from Norwegian Joy - April 28, 2024 NYC to Bermuda

Radio

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from Radio! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

Radio was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Welcome to "LIVE" from Norwegian Joy

Hello everyone, and good day. The Sea is Calling.

Tomorrow I will be driving up to Elizabeth, NJ for a pre-cruise hotel stay. The next morning (Sunday) I will head to

Manhattan Cruise Terminal (711 12th Ave, NYC.) to board Norwegian Joy. The last time I sailed with Norwegian was

in 2016 (Norwegian Escape from Miami).

Norwegian Joy was the first Breakaway Plus class ship built for the Asian market in 2017.

It didn’t last long though, as she was redeployed to North America after an extensive refurbishment (USD 50m)

to redesign her public spaces in 2019.

We will be sailing to one of my favorite ports of call, Bermuda, where we will be docked at Heritage Wharf Pier at the Royal Naval Dockyard. I haven’t been to Bermuda in a few years and can’t wait to return.

The forecast for next week should be mostly sunny and clear with temps in the mid-70s (f).

Norwegian Joy recently completed a 3-week drydock in January 2024 to expand the Vibe area (where the Laser Tag area used to be on Deck 20), and the Expanded Thermal Suite was added (Where the Galaxy Pavilion was on Deck 16.)

I have been following many reports that have suggested that the new StarLink Wi-Fi (Added in Jan 2024) has been touch and go, but I will be putting it to the test for a few days. You will be viewing the ship through my eyes, and I will provide you with my thoughts onboard.

Some friends and family will be joining me on this cruise, and it should be a lot of fun. I look forward to entering The Passenger Terminal at Pier 88 on Sunday just before boarding Norwegian Joy.

There will be much more coming in just a few days . . . Thanks for tuning in.

Radio

Norwegian Joy "LIVE" - April 28, 2024

440769584_407089415423004_1372577522459908587_n.thumb.jpg.20e190902adc9a04344c6117bc626795.jpg

Image Credit © 2024 Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd.©

Norwegian Joy at Sea

NCLJYPortL.thumb.png.dd898ac228f64fcfc4746d668af398a4.png

JOY Raceway

RaceJoy.png.afbad546ed4babfd29a0e10c0f25d826.png

Starbucks on DECK 6 and DECK 15

IMG_1915.thumb.jpeg.264e552e6faef3787586be1bc25fe558.thumb.jpeg.1d7ef6ab55b1fadbc3bb864b2da9c889.jpeg

VIBE Beach Club on DECKS 19-20

438818091_407089385423007_6151984960626228656_n.jpg.f6e21cee8a0ec8630c947a4414653275.jpg

Our Itinerary

JOY-4-BER-NYC-43458.png.c528d9748d4c878c1af9d74610962fa5.png

Edited by Radio
  • Like 12

• Radio changed the title to "LIVE" from Norwegian Joy - April 28, 2024 NYC to Bermuda

I will definitely be following along as we will be on the June 2, 2024 sailing.    Bermuda is also one of our favorite ports and we are looking forward to experiencing it with extended family this time around.   

If you can, can you please post the dailies.   

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

Looking forward to your review.  We met you many years ago, I think on the Gem.  We gave you a tour of the Haven.

Have a great cruise.  I can't wait for all the info as we'll be on her in a few weeks.

Enjoy!

Posted (edited)

goldmom: Looking forward to your review.  We met you many years ago, I think on the Gem.  We gave you a tour of the Haven

Wow, yes you did🙂 Thank you, and thanks for tuning in!

Radio

Edited by Radio
  • Like 1

A Radio adventure - fantastic!   I always followed your reviews when you sailed on Royal.  We were recently on the Getaway and can't wait to see your comments about the Joy.  

Have a great trip.  

Hal

• Thanks 1

Glad to see another review from Radio.

I followed all your reviews and they are always detailed with great pictures and videos. AND tons of information about the ship and cruising. Keep cruising and those reviews coming! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailing in June to Bermuda on the Joy.  Been a while (10+ years) since I've been there.

Never been on the Joy, so looking forward to your review.

Just as an FYI, internet on Bermuda was good last time I was there.  Hoping it's just as good (if not better) now.  

I have T-Mobile, which covers me in Bermuda.  

You'll be coked there for 3 days, so if the ship's internet isn't good, the Bermuda signal should help you along.

Had used Starlink on the Epic.  It was quite good, but that was a Mediterranean cruise.

• Thanks 1

Haven't been on the Joy since late 2022 and have a few upcoming cruises booked. 

Two requests,  if you get a chance,  please/ty.

The observation lounge doors weren't automatic then, quite a challenge for pax using mobility aids; needed to wait and hope someone appeared for access. 

Pic of new smoking enclosure on pool deck.

Guessing it's similar to Baway/Getaway. 

Thanks and enJOY!

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to your review.

Are any of you or your crew in the vibe? It’s been 2 months post refurb and still haven’t seen anything concrete/official from NCL about vibe cabana rentals.  Any insight is appreciated! 
thanks

• Thanks 1

@Radio I'm looking forward to your review.  I will be on the Joy next year for our Panama Canal cruise.  I notice you are from Perry Hall....I grew up around Silver Spring and went to college at UMBC (go Retrievers!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesIowa said:

Looking forward to your review.

Are any of you or your crew in the vibe? It’s been 2 months post refurb and still haven’t seen anything concrete/official from NCL about vibe cabana rentals.  Any insight is appreciated! 
thanks

I have been trying also for information on the Vibe cabanas to no avail.  We want to trade our vibe passes in for a cabana.  If my cruise is before yours,  I will report back.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone, I made it to Elizabeth, NJ in one piece. It took me about 3 hrs to get here from Maryland. I had to watch news when I arrived, but I was up in time for a light dinner. Today is a “Radio Rest Day”

It should only take about 30 min to drive to Pier 88 tomorrow. My check-in time is 12-1230. The forecast for tomorrow is partly cloudy (but no rain) and 78f.

Norwegian Joy (to Manhattan), Anthem of the Seas (to Bayonne), and MSC Meraviglia (to Brooklyn) are all heading up to this area and should arrive early tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow is Cruise Day!

Radio

I am happy that there are two Starbucks Kiosks on Norwegian Joy.

NCLStarbucksMug.png.871da1786de030a24939834e36a9b7be.png

Pier 88 in Manhattan

MCP.thumb.png.f1358a9503cf112b2222dce56f5801c9.png

Norwegian Joy Itinerary

JoyItinerary.png.730da642df2460629e17b32ba0a7d90e.png

Cruise Ships sailing from Brooklyn, Bayonne, and Manhattan tomorrow.

April28JOY.png.bf1770e517b986424b557319aa392dbf.png

They are on their way. . .

cm1.thumb.jpg.1299e20470ed42700e79329dc85204f5.jpg

Edited by Radio
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CruisnDeb said:

@Radio I'm looking forward to your review.  I will be on the Joy next year for our Panama Canal cruise.  I notice you are from Perry Hall....I grew up around Silver Spring and went to college at UMBC (go Retrievers!)

It's a small world, CruisnDeb 😊

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone. Today is DAY 1 of "LIVE" from Norwegian Joy.

I had a good sleep last night in the hotel. I stayed at Embassy Suites (On International Blvd) in Elizabeth. This hotel is very close to Newark Liberty International. The hotel was clean, and the food was good. (They have coffee 24hrs/day)

I will be leaving here soon to drive to Pier 88 and board Norwegian Joy. I should arrive at the Pier around 12-12:30. I am hoping the traffic won't be too bad.

Oh, by the way . . . Today is CRUISE DAY

See you on board.

Radio

Pier 88

88.thumb.png.3f9bd2b74eb01e540428fa8b4f254252.png

Embassy Suites Hotel

438221307_1082579269506165_6319465336520312734_n.thumb.jpg.8c9662725354dab9a797a25288b12e50.jpg

I set up a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle for Monday

ccmmccmm.png.25d1578d2299fea251f1caa642cba87e.png

What day is it?

CruiseDay28.thumb.png.cac591c19e46c52b6ee2ab5fa4b53f7c.png

Edited by Radio
  • Like 9

How was the parking situation?  Did you park at the pier?  I'm considering driving in for our cruise next month, but don't want to get there and not be able to get parking.

Thanks!

Enjoy!

Watching the Joy sail away now.  She is passing right next to another cruise ship in the Hudson going the other way.  Don't see that often.  Couldn't tell what ship it is.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The ship going up the Hudson is the Anthem of the Seas. Since RCCL and Celebrity docks in Bayonne, they will routinely go up do a circle around the Statue of Liberty and then go out to sea. 

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mike A said:

The ship going up is the Anthem of the Seas. Since RCCL and Celebrity docks in Bayonne, they will routinely go up do a circle around the Statue of Liberty and then go out to sea. 

Thanks for the explanation.  I never knew that! I was surprised when I saw it was a RCCL ship as I knew they docked in NJ.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mike A said:

The ship going up the Hudson is the Anthem of the Seas. Since RCCL and Celebrity docks in Bayonne, they will routinely go up do a circle around the Statue of Liberty and then go out to sea. 

Thank you for this info.  I wondered if they were getting into port very late.  Since I’m guessing you’ve watched ships on the harbor a lot, can you tell me which side of the ship will pass the Statue of Liberty?  I’m assuming port side?   I’m wondering where we should position ourselves for sail away.