Wine In Luminae

DaKahuna

16 minutes ago, George C said:

Your restaurant has a nice selection with reasonable prices. What city is this restaurant, we will be in Denver area Labor Day weekend.

Vinca in Broomfield, CO, just N of Denver.  Nice menu, too.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, canderson said:

I think you'd really like the lineup at one of our local restaurants:

Bourbon Whiskey

Angel’s Envy, Port Wine Barrels, Kentucky

$11.00

Barrell New Year 2023, Kentucky

$21.00

Blanton’s Original, Single Barrel, Kentucky

$16.00

Bowman Brothers, Small Batch, Virginia

$9.00

Buffalo Trace, Kentucky

$9.00

Eagle Rare 10yr, Kentucky

$10.00

E.H. Taylor, Jr. Small Batch, Kentucky

$13.00

Elijah Craig Small Batch, Kentucky

$9.00

Four Roses, Single Barrel, Kentucky

$13.00

Four Roses, Small Batch, Kentucky

$10.00

Henry McKenna 10yr, Single Barrel, Kentucky, Bottled-in-Bond

$16.00

Jack Daniel’s Bonded, Tennessee, #1 Whisky of the Year 2022

$9.00

Jim Beam, 225th Anniv., Kentucky

$5.00

Larceny, Small Batch, Kentucky

$8.00

Maker's Mark, Kentucky

$7.00

Mashbuild, Tawny Port Cask, Colorado

$9.00

Pinhook, Bourbon Heist, Kentucky

$8.00

W. L. Weller 12 year, Kentucky

$18.00

W. L. Weller Special Reserve, Kentucky

$12.00

That's crazy! About half of that is allocated and I've never seen it at those prices (maybe in Louisville). Blanton's, EH Taylor, Eagle Rare, and Weller Special Reserve are released at the Buffalo Trace Distillery (not at the same time). One bottle per person limit for each, and you can only buy them every 90 days (they track your driver's license). They used to be lottery items in Virginia, but they've taken to random product drops lately so you have to watch for a text that they're releasing allocated product and drive as fast as you can to your VABC store!

If he's concerned about sweetness, I'm not sure about the Angel's Envy with the port finish. Even with a decent rye percentage it's going to be sweet.

@zitsky Four Roses is readily available and another very nice bourbon (for my taste). It's not wheated like Maker's Mark which is where some of the sweetness comes from, there's some spice from the rye, and I find it to be a nice, balanced bourbon that's easy to find. I'd start with the Small Batch.

We're way off of wine in Luminae at this point...

1 hour ago, canderson said:

think you'd really like the lineup at one of our local restaurants:

Bourbon Whiskey

I would love to find a selection like that on a cruise ship.  A lot of those would go well in any bar. 

Oh, looking at your list just reminded me I have a bottle of Buffalo Trace somewhere around here that has yet to be opened.  hmmm.  Guess I had better finish off my Kirk & Sweeney Grand Reserva first though. 

22 minutes ago, markeb said:

That's crazy! About half of that is allocated and I've never seen it at those prices (maybe in Louisville).

We're way off of wine in Luminae at this point...

Yeah, but the trip was worth it, wasn't it? 😁

@GeorgeC

Drop me a line (email below) before you arrive and if you have time in your schedule, perhaps your 'we' and our 'we' could meet for a drink and a nice meal.  We always enjoy putting faces to names.  I'll treat you to a Blanton's! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, zitsky said:

I like Maker’s Mark but I am a scotch drinker.  I think it’s not considered the best?  It’s a little sweet.

I actually have that one.  I thought that it was for mixed drinks?  🤣  Anyways I should have a taste.

25 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I actually have that one.  I thought that it was for mixed drinks?  🤣  Anyways I should have a taste.

Depends entirely upon which one of the half dozen current versions of 'Maker's Mark' you have as to the taste and 'sippability'.  Wide variation in how they're finished.  Lots of opinions on this! 

• Thanks 1

That’s a great list at Vinca! We are visiting family in Longmont so will try and check it out. That Weller 12 would be my pick. I managed to nab a bottle a few moths ago and it is terrific.

1 minute ago, Folsomdoc said:

That’s a great list at Vinca! We are visiting family in Longmont so will try and check it out.

Yell as you drive through the far NE part of town!

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Yeah, but the trip was worth it, wasn't it? 😁

@GeorgeC

Drop me a line (email below) before you arrive and if you have time in your schedule, perhaps your 'we' and our 'we' could meet for a drink and a nice meal.  We always enjoy putting faces to names.  I'll treat you to a Blanton's! 

I would like to meet but doubt I will have the time ,  we aren’t even renting a car on this trip , family get together with sister , nieces , nephew and brother will also fly in . We are staying in Parker since family lived in that area. Hopefully we can have that drink at another time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2024 at 8:21 PM, markeb said:

Ahh...

I thought you'd found it onboard. Try the Penner-Ash or Grand Moraine from Yamhill-Carlton on the ship. By the bottle only, but very nice. The Golden Eye from Anderson Valley is also a very nice Pinot Noir.

At that price range from Willamette Valley in Oregon and Anderson Valley to Russian River in California you tend to get a bit of structure, maybe a bit of tannin, and some nice fruit but it's clearly a Pinot Noir and not a Merlot or Cabernet like you can get with some Central Valley Pinot Noir.

I just tried a less expensive Pinot Noir from Russian River and it was good also.  This may be my new goto wine.

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

I just tried a less expensive Pinot Noir from Russian River and it was good also.  This may be my new goto wine.

Do you remember which one it was?  

On 8/10/2024 at 1:12 PM, DaKahuna said:

Do you remember which one it was?  

Circumference...

I tried another from Carneros and I am convinced that they should not try to make Pinot Noir from that region 😁  Russian River valley yes.  Carneros no.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Circumference...

I tried another from Carneros and I am convinced that they should not try to make Pinot Noir from that region 😁  Russian River valley yes.  Carneros no.

Mostly agree, but the 2019 Etude Estate turned out pretty well.  Had one at dinner over the weekend with lamb shank.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Circumference...

Russian River..... always the winner.

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Circumference...

I have had decent-to-good pinot noir from Carneros, but the distinction is that a good one from that region relies on a skilled vineyard manager and a competent, knowledgeable winemaker. Not all that common a combination with the proliferation of California wineries. 

The climate makes it easier to make good pinot noir from Russian River, with occasional flashes of sheer brilliance. 

34 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I have had decent-to-good pinot noir from Carneros, but the distinction is that a good one from that region relies on a skilled vineyard manager and a competent, knowledgeable winemaker. Not all that common a combination with the proliferation of California wineries. 

The climate makes it easier to make good pinot noir from Russian River, with occasional flashes of sheer brilliance. 

They make some pretty good Chardonnay in Carneros. Usually if you can grow good Chardonnay you can grow good Pinot Noir. Not always, though. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

I prefer La Crema from Russian River to the one from Willamette valley but that one is still very good. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, markeb said:

They make some pretty good Chardonnay in Carneros. Usually if you can grow good Chardonnay you can grow good Pinot Noir. Not always, though. 

There seems to be a tendency to mix the Chardonnay in this region with the Pinot Noir to make a sparkling wine.  Pretty good for the ones I tasted.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

There seems to be a tendency to mix the Chardonnay in this region with the Pinot Noir to make a sparkling wine.  Pretty good for the ones I tasted.  

That Etude Estate from Carneros I mentioned earlier - definitely NOT a sparkling wine! - also has a measure of Chardonnay, but doesn't cut into the depth of the pinot any.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Yep. Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier (and others) are the grapes of Champagne (the region, not the wine). And most common for other “Methode Traditionnelle” sparkling wines from other regions. Outside Champagne you can probably use whatever you want, but those are still the most common. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, canderson said:

That Etude Estate from Carneros I mentioned earlier - definitely NOT a sparkling wine! - also has a measure of Chardonnay, but doesn't cut into the depth of the pinot any.

Add another 40% Chardonnay and bubbles and you have champagne.

Edited by NMTraveller

8 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Is this supposed to make me excited about Luminae or sad at what I’m missing?

Yes.  They are going to take all of our suggestions,  and especially @DaKahuna as he is now Celebrity's (famous) Celebrity 🙂  And make a better wine list.  Stay tuned ...

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1