Missed port insurance

delgirl

We returned from iona on 30 march. Phoned our insurance (all-clear). They asked us for the letter we were given and some other details. Sent them off, have now had an e-mail requesting invoice from our tour operator stating how much we paid for this cruise. We are only claiming for missed port which states quite clearly we have. Are they just trying to get out of paying us, which wouldn't be much. Has anyone else had this problem.

2 minutes ago, delgirl said:

We returned from iona on 30 march. Phoned our insurance (all-clear). They asked us for the letter we were given and some other details. Sent them off, have now had an e-mail requesting invoice from our tour operator stating how much we paid for this cruise. We are only claiming for missed port which states quite clearly we have. Are they just trying to get out of paying us, which wouldn't be much. Has anyone else had this problem.

I have claimed from All Clear for my aunt and they required the original invoice as proof she was actually on that cruise.  It was very quick once I'd supplied all her documents.

10 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I have claimed from All Clear for my aunt and they required the original invoice as proof she was actually on that cruise.  It was very quick once I'd supplied all her documents.

They must know we were on that cruise because the letter P and O gave us stated both our names (we were given one each) and said which port was missed. 

Just now, delgirl said:

They must know we were on that cruise because the letter P and O gave us stated both our names (we were given one each) and said which port was missed. 

I don't doubt it. However all claims with All Clear apparently have to be accompanied by an invoice, whatever their nature.  Under my own insurer there was a separate form just for missed ports and it was very simple.  All Clear however required full documentation  the claims handler informed me that it was required as proof of booking.

I suspect that it is another sign of the times with people trying to claim for anything that they think they can get away with.

With forums such as this it is easy to find a cruise with missed ports and then knock up a letter purporting to be from the cruise line and with some insurance companies paying out £150 per person per missed port it could be considered as easy money by some.

Interesting. Nationwide didn’t even require the missed port letters, let alone the invoice, as they’d already had a claim from another passenger. Took the claim in complete trust. Very impressive. 

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Interesting. Nationwide didn’t even require the missed port letters, let alone the invoice, as they’d already had a claim from another passenger. Took the claim in complete trust. Very impressive. 

Yes same thing happened to us with Nationwide was very impressed. Will be interesting to see how things will be different when Aviva take over travel insurance.

• Like 1

I use a different insurer, but same experience - this is standard practice.

Remember it is a tick-box exercise on his/her computer for the clerk dealing with your claim - common sense and/or use of initiative are not relevant once the tick-boxes are established by "management".

41 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes same thing happened to us with Nationwide was very impressed. Will be interesting to see how things will be different when Aviva take over travel insurance.

Indeed it will , not for the better I suspect

57 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

A friend of ours just renewed her policy under the Aviva rules, and was happy with the medical excess which was unchanged, and there is no longer any age excess,  but has not bothered with the missed port extra which has now to be done per cruise.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

A friend of ours just renewed her policy under the Aviva rules, and was happy with the medical excess which was unchanged, and there is no longer any age excess,  but has not bothered with the missed port extra which has now to be done per cruise.

Don’t suppose you know how much the cruise cover is going to be ? I know it’s now per cruise but would be interested in knowing the charges to decide if it’s still worth it for me. 

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Don’t suppose you know how much the cruise cover is going to be ? I know it’s now per cruise but would be interested in knowing the charges to decide if it’s still worth it for me. 

I think the old NW missed ports cover was far too generous, so it's no wonder the new underwriters have increased the price. Especially as missed ports now seem far more common than in the past, and if it conues to increase I imagine the cost of cover will have to increase as well.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the old NW missed ports cover was far too generous, so it's no wonder the new underwriters have increased the price. Especially as missed ports now seem far more common than in the past, and if it conues to increase I imagine the cost of cover will have to increase as well.

Thankfully the remaining 2 cruise bookings that we have (both with Cunard) are covered under the old policy (£150 per person per missed port), but do you know what the price per 2 week cruise is now and how much the missed port compensation is?

Yes I would like to know too. I have 2 cruises booked before I renew then 3  short ones after. Unless it’s very reasonable I shall just have to look for alternative annual  cruise cover. 

Just been paid out for missed port £100.00 each. When I say we have been paid I mean an e-mail saying it will be paid into our bank in 5-10 days.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:48 PM, Winifred 22 said:

I understand the cruise cover is now £27 per each cruise, and you only need to add it to the policy when the next cruise is due. Still a very good deal since, if a couple, you would redeem your payment if you only had 1 claim a year for 10 cruises, which in a year is highly unlikely, whereas one missed port in say 3 cruises a year, is very likely in todays safety conscious times.

One rider, not sure if it is £27pp, or as now it covers both parties, as my informant is a single lady.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I understand the cruise cover is now £27 per each cruise, and you only need to add it to the policy when the next cruise is due. Still a very good deal since, if a couple, you would redeem your payment if you only had 1 claim a year for 10 cruises, which in a year is highly unlikely, whereas one missed port in say 3 cruises a year, is very likely in todays safety conscious times.

One rider, not sure if it is £27pp, or as now it covers both parties, as my informant is a single lady.

Is the payout still £150 per missed port though? 

£27 per cruise is quite high compared with others in the open market where it is still possible to buy an annual add on.  For those who do large numbers of cruises per year it will probable break even with the likes of Sttaysure and Avanti.  Unless there are major complex medical conditions there won't be much in it for multi cruisers.

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Thank you for this I am also a solo lady traveller. I have 3 cruises booked that will need cover for, just to the end of 2024 so an £81 supplement is twice the £40 and won’t cover me for any cruises in 2025. It’s good value possibly for one or two cruises per year  but not for multiple  trips per year may have to rethink this I wonder if it was £27 flat rate regardless of length of cruise.  ? 

22 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

£27 per cruise is quite high compared with others in the open market where it is still possible to buy an annual add on.  For those who do large numbers of cruises per year it will probable break even with the likes of Sttaysure and Avanti.  Unless there are major complex medical conditions there won't be much in it for multi cruisers.

The payout for missed ports is still £150. The Aviva policy document is online but doesn’t confirm the cost of the upgrade.

IMG_4831.png

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Staysure only pay out £75pp per claim. However the cruise cover is for the term of the policy and is an add on. Our old Nationwide policy paid £150pp and cost £20pp extra annually. Nationwide no longer allow us cover. 

3 hours ago, sandancer said:

Staysure only pay out £75pp per claim. However the cruise cover is for the term of the policy and is an add on. Our old Nationwide policy paid £150pp and cost £20pp extra annually. Nationwide no longer allow us cover. 

Is this Nationwide refusal since the new insurer?

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Is this Nationwide refusal since the new insurer?

No, when we were renewing the policy it was refused due to medical issues. It was before the new regime. 

• Like 1

I had the Aviva cruise cover with my bank (not nationwide) and they never covered missed ports not even as an extra add on. They covered missed port departure (e.g you missed getting on the ship) so it is nice they are adding it again now though my bank is ending its association soon with Aviva so will still miss out.