beach snorkeling

xyzcruiser

Years ago I bought a beach pass for Melia on Cable beach and the resort was great and the snorkeling from the beach decent. I know Melia is no more but trying to find something similar. I have been to Nassau 25+ times, taken every boat snorkel excursion (only so-so). The only ones I actually found worth it was the Stuarts Cove snuba. But on my next cruise the timing doesn't work for that. I usually do cruiseline excursions since I'm solo but not exclusively. So I'm looking for suggestions of a beach snorkel, that is easy and safe for a solo traveler to get to and from port. I have no interest in just lying on the beach, so none of the 6 hour, lunch included ones will work for me. I really just want to snorkel, maybe take a walk and then snorkel again, then head back to the ship. I am okay with the resort for a day passes but they have gotten expensive, so I want to make sure there is actually decent snorkeling off the beach before I waste my money. Thanks for any info.

On 4/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, xyzcruiser said:

Years ago I bought a beach pass for Melia on Cable beach and the resort was great and the snorkeling from the beach decent. I know Melia is no more but trying to find something similar. I have been to Nassau 25+ times, taken every boat snorkel excursion (only so-so). The only ones I actually found worth it was the Stuarts Cove snuba. But on my next cruise the timing doesn't work for that. I usually do cruiseline excursions since I'm solo but not exclusively. So I'm looking for suggestions of a beach snorkel, that is easy and safe for a solo traveler to get to and from port. I have no interest in just lying on the beach, so none of the 6 hour, lunch included ones will work for me. I really just want to snorkel, maybe take a walk and then snorkel again, then head back to the ship. I am okay with the resort for a day passes but they have gotten expensive, so I want to make sure there is actually decent snorkeling off the beach before I waste my money. Thanks for any info.

We have taken boat tours to Rose Island for 4 hours where I thought snorkeling was pretty good for Bahamas.  We are also booked to do a snorkeling tour with Clifton Heritage which appears to have good snorkeling from the shore but you do need to pay.  Shore snorkeling wise, no, not much and not worth it on your own.

26 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We have taken boat tours to Rose Island for 4 hours where I thought snorkeling was pretty good for Bahamas.  We are also booked to do a snorkeling tour with Clifton Heritage which appears to have good snorkeling from the shore but you do need to pay.  Shore snorkeling wise, no, not much and not worth it on your own.

I have read about Rose Island but every time I contact them, they say our time in port does not coincide with their tours. Arrival too late, departure too early. I had hoped one day for a ships excursion to go there but no luck so far.

Just now, xyzcruiser said:

I have read about Rose Island but every time I contact them, they say our time in port does not coincide with their tours. Arrival too late, departure too early. I had hoped one day for a ships excursion to go there but no luck so far.

I actually look for vendors going there.  There are a few 4 hr tours that don't do the pigs which I despise.

19 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I regretted not bringing our snorkeling gear to RIU on cabbage beach, the water was so clear (there is a public walkway to the beach).

Did you do a day pass there? One of the problems I have had doing Cabbage Beach is that because I am solo it is hard getting transportation back to the ship. One time I had to pay $50 plus tip, another time took me about an hour before I could get anyone to take me back. That makes it both stressful and expensive, and I might get there and the conditions aren't great for snorkeling that day anyway. What was your experience with transportation? 

2 hours ago, xyzcruiser said:

Did you do a day pass there? One of the problems I have had doing Cabbage Beach is that because I am solo it is hard getting transportation back to the ship. One time I had to pay $50 plus tip, another time took me about an hour before I could get anyone to take me back. That makes it both stressful and expensive, and I might get there and the conditions aren't great for snorkeling that day anyway. What was your experience with transportation? 

We did a day pass at RIU, but it was the same beach as the public one. We actually just walked to the front of the resort and got in a taxi (and we are a family of 7), but I’m guessing anyone could walk up and ask about a shared ride.