Wifi on Carnival Splendor

Posted (edited)

I convinced my husband and younger son to go with us on our Sydney to Singapore cruise. (Originally, it was just going to be older son and I.)  The room next to us came open and I found us business award flights home (still working on flights out there) and hubs decided he would go.  My question is this: What will the wifi be like on the Splendor? Hubs would like to keep in touch with his office.  We took Splendor to alaska and the wifi wasn't great, but I know they also have gotten star link on many of the ships since then.  Does anyone know?  

Edited by Eli_6
clarity

Posted (edited)

I don't know if Starlink has made it to that area of the globe yet. Assuming it hasn't, presumably they'd still be using the older satellite network which is not great.

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Only shows coverage over land, not the sea - so while you can sort of infer coverage (or lack thereof) you can't be sure.

However, if we are going by that map - there is currently no coverage in Singapore, but there is in AUS.

I wonder if Splendor is equipped with Starlink antennas, and if so how do they deal with gaps in coverage.

• Like 2

My humble opinion: For a transpacific cruise, I would not put any guarantees on there being a usable internet signal for the entire voyage. I would expect there will be times when there is no coverage.

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Not sure how much you know about Reddit, but nothing on that site should be taken at face-value. Why don't you trust what the first two links you found say?

The correct answer is we don’t know what kind of WiFi performance Splendor has today, much less at a date in the future. Why make everything personal?

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

The correct answer is we don’t know what kind of WiFi performance Splendor has today, much less at a date in the future. Why make everything personal?

Exactly what I said in post #2. ☮️

• Haha 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:11 PM, 1025cruise said:

My humble opinion: For a transpacific cruise, I would not put any guarantees on there being a usable internet signal for the entire voyage. I would expect there will be times when there is no coverage.

It is Australia to Singapore.  

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

So, no one knows if the Splendor has starlink?  I guess I will ask John Heald. 

I might ask in a current cruise Splendor roll call.

In the past I've cruised on Splendor in Southern and Northern Europe, around Cape Horn, and through the Panama Canal. The "old" Internet might not have been super fast, but I found it acceptable. I just wish they had unlimited plans back then, instead of by the minute.

• Like 1

So, as an update to anyone searching this forum in the future, an Auzzie on one my Splendor facebook pages who has recently cruised on her said that Splendor has starlink now. 

• Like 1