Celebrity in Hot Water - Edge sailed too close to Kauai’s NaPali Coast

On 5/2/2024 at 11:47 AM, Purplsmurf said:

Captain Matt is a wonderful person and great captain. I can’t believe he would do this intentionally. He had to have not known it wasn’t allowed. Someone is in trouble……..and I hope it’s not him 

The captain of any ship is always ultimately responsible for whatever happens on their ship. The buck stops with them..

On 5/2/2024 at 12:14 PM, pete_coach said:

Really? Run up to the bridge and inform the Captain of the rules he is breaking?? Please LOL

The captain should have been aware of the restrictions... no excuses.

On 5/2/2024 at 12:51 PM, CruisingTheWaves said:

Like I said this is all just shocking to me that the captain wouldn’t know the restrictions. There’s also a factor of common sense…? 

On 5/2/2024 at 2:59 PM, snigol said:

1) So now, passengers aren't feeling as gracious and ready to change their plans / excursions without some sort of truth (and OBC 🤣).

This is really all that needed to be said here, looking for compensation as usual. They shouldn't hold their breath on that..

53 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

The captain should have been aware of the restrictions... no excuses.

A little late to the party??

It's all over and done with.

"The state will not pursue criminal charges against a cruise ship after it was reportedly “too close” to Kauai’s Na Pali Coast earlier this month.

DLNR officials say they “failed to find evidence” that the celebrity cruise line ship actually violated a state rule requiring it remain at least 3,000 feet from shore."

Except for one, all my opinions have been shared and questioned answers so thank you @chengkp75

My one question remains, depths, rocks, and reefs are "charted", why aren't restricted areas made "idiot-proof" to Captains by somehow being integrated into the ship's navigation?  A captain should be ready to take action in an unexpected situation, while a hypothetical, what if some large nearby military/cargo/fishing ship loses power and is headed toward the cruise ship?  The Captain would need to determine what heading is the best "escape route" as crashing into and getting stuck on a rock could be worse.  This would also cover an emergency that if the Captain has a health emergency and can no longer Captain, his backup knows exactly what to do

• Like 2

From the article:

"When the ship returned to port in Honolulu, O‘ahu-based officers boarded it and interviewed the captain and ship’s master. The captain said he was in full control of the vessel and was always in waters of not less than 30 meters depth. He was unclear as to the vessel’s distance from shore."

If true, then had Captain been the appropriate legal distance from the coast (3,000 feet) he should have been able to report as much to the authorities.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So my only question is what happened to the drone video?  That clearly showed the ship closer than 3000 feet.

I wonder if ... someone purchased the video for a large sum of money ?

Edited by NMTraveller

14 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Especially when they make mistakes...

Not wanting to admit defeat here I see..no evidence of wrong doing was found, done and done.  Have a good one, I’m done here. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, pete_coach said:

A little late to the party??

"The state will not pursue criminal charges against a cruise ship after it was reportedly “too close” to Kauai’s Na Pali Coast earlier this month.

DLNR officials say they “failed to find evidence” that the celebrity cruise line ship actually violated a state rule requiring it remain at least 3,000 feet from shore."

Better late than never, and I stand by my original statement here.

13 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

I stand by my original statement here.

The one about "who the captain WAS"?  I guess you're right (for 3 months).  He went on holiday a couple of weeks later.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Your statement was debunked by the report. "

DLNR officials say they “failed to find evidence” that the celebrity cruise line ship actually violated a state rule requiring it remain at least 3,000 feet from shore.""

You seem like the type of person that asks questions after the meeting is adjourned LOL

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Two weeks old story.  Try to keep up.

I'm bringing attention to another ship possibly breaking the rules on the same day which has not yet been mentioned in this thread

17 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

My one question remains, depths, rocks, and reefs are "charted",

These things are charted as of the last survey, which may have been 40 years ago (I've seen this noted on charts), so how reliable they are is treated with skepticism by mariners.  In the days of paper charts (and NOAA has started a program of not printing charts anymore, going to digital charts), it was up to the navigator onboard to update the charts with changes that have been reported since the last survey, which are sent to the ships as booklets "Notices to Mariners".  Even with digital charts, updates are sent out periodically, to be added to the database for the chart.

17 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

why aren't restricted areas made "idiot-proof" to Captains by somehow being integrated into the ship's navigation?

To me, and I'm not a navigator, the charts are a federal product, and federal restricted zones are noted on charts (and sent out in Notice to Mariners), but I'm not sure about state zones.  These may be listed in publications like Port Directions, which include notes on all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to shipping, etc, but these have to be looked up for each port, and are not generally noted on charts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So my only question is what happened to the drone video?  That clearly showed the ship closer than 3000 feet.

Did the drone have range finding equipment on it, or on the video?  As others have mentioned before on this thread, perspective can give false impressions of size/distance.  So, I can't say the drone footage "clearly" showed the ship closer than 3000 ft.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KroozNut said:

I don’t know what your original statement is. The captain was not removed. A criminal investigation by the state couldn’t substantiate a violation. And the actual root cause investigation is likely still going on. Which will probably determine that Celebrity’s procedures for identifying state restrictions not noted on federal charts needs to be updated. 

The captain may be responsible, but if he did everything by procedure, it’s the processes that need to change. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Yes and Elvis and JFK are reviewing it on their private island hideaway.

• Thanks 1

Wouldn't the evidence be on the ship in the computer and, if this is such a thing, satellite, radar scans, cell phone signals, starlink signal data, etc. from third party sources?  

12 minutes ago, Cap_D said:

Wouldn't the evidence be on the ship in the computer and, if this is such a thing, satellite, radar scans, cell phone signals, starlink signal data, etc. from third party sources?  

Anything from the ship would likely require a warrant.  Cell signals would require getting a passenger manifest, either from Celebrity (again, likely warrant) or CBP, and warrant to the cell providers to divulge the locations of subscribers.  Not sure how long AIS tracking sites keep pat track data for ships, but again, likely a warrant to get the information.

46 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Anything from the ship would likely require a warrant.  Cell signals would require getting a passenger manifest, either from Celebrity (again, likely warrant) or CBP, and warrant to the cell providers to divulge the locations of subscribers.  Not sure how long AIS tracking sites keep pat track data for ships, but again, likely a warrant to get the information.

As reported on in the linked article above, the investigation seems conveniently limited, and the Captain's (in article) reported recollection of depth, but not distance is suspect.

• Like 2