Drinks package/policy changes?

1 hour ago, daz1107 said:

I actually covered your point by asking what the issue is, with not spending whilst on board.... 

Since the majority of cruise line profits are made from onboard spend, I would have thought it was self evident.

2 minutes ago, gsjnd said:

We last went with TUI in 2012 when they weren't All Inclusive and the prices were similar to P&O. When they went All Inclusive they just put the price up so they are now more expensive than P&O.

I would imagine Tui put the price up to incorporate the all inclusive, so yes they would be more expensive.

But P&O aren't all inclusive, so you'd need to take that into consideration to make a reasonable comparison, P&O currently advertise 14nt European cruise for £1,100pp add a drink package x2 and travel to port probably not much it to be honest.

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since the majority of cruise line profits are made from onboard spend, I would have thought it was self evident.

In which case, I'll ensure I spend twice as much then. Can't have those shareholders not receiving a dividend 😁

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

So who would P&O rather have.

Someone who cruises once a year outside of school holidays and spends for instance £500 onboard or someone who cruises 2 times a year in school holidays with no onboard spend?

I don't think it's self evident at all.

• Like 1

Given P&O and Cunard were the last few lines to let you take drink on board, it's  surprising it's taken so long for this to be tightened up.

It was a benefit not a right.

The only complaint is the short notice.

Yes prices on older all adults ships have gone up, but that's market forces, if the demand wasn't there, they wouldn't have.

• Like 5

And I am boarding Britannia tomorrow and still would not know about this policy change because P and O haven't told me.

I often disbelieve what I read on social media,  so....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clodia said:

And I am boarding Britannia tomorrow and still would not know about this policy change because P and O haven't told me.

Did P&O contact you to tell you that you could take 1l of spirits on previously?

7 minutes ago, Clodia said:

Well tomorrow is the day it apparently starts on Britannia.

If you're planning to take a tipple good luck.

Have a great cruise either way.

The silly thing is if P&O had increased prices by even just £2pppn no one would have noticed,  no fuss , yet  it would cost you more than the impact of 1 bottle per person vs room service cost 

• Like 4

As I bought a bottle last week I'm taking it on. As they haven't emailed any policy change I shall plead innocence. In future it's buy room service or my faithful rum runner. They used to be undetectable but scanners are getting more sophisticated. If stopped I will be suitable surprised and then outraged at their appalling communication. The worst they can do is confiscate then lose it, which is why they stopped taking onshore purchases as it caused so much trouble.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Clodia said:

As I bought a bottle last week I'm taking it on. As they haven't emailed any policy change I shall plead innocence. In future it's buy room service or my faithful rum runner. They used to be undetectable but scanners are getting more sophisticated. If stopped I will be suitable surprised and then outraged at their appalling communication. The worst they can do is confiscate then lose it, which is why they stopped taking onshore purchases as it caused so much trouble.

Have a great time, with or without your bottle. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

Given P&O and Cunard were the last few lines to let you take drink on board, it's  surprising it's taken so long for this to be tightened up.

It was a benefit not a right.

The only complaint is the short notice.

Yes prices on older all adults ships have gone up, but that's market forces, if the demand wasn't there, they wouldn't have.

/\

48 minutes ago, S1971 said:

So who would P&O rather have.

Someone who cruises once a year outside of school holidays and spends for instance £500 onboard or someone who cruises 2 times a year in school holidays with no onboard spend?

I don't think it's self evident at all.

The question I was answering related to passengers preferring to only drink the ones they brought onboard.

7 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Hi

I have sailed Thomson since 1997,,,54 cruises in all,last one 3 weeks ago,,,I can’t remember Thomson/Tui/Marella ever being anything but All Inclusive.

I also cruise P&O (Britannia in 4 weeks) and always buy the DP,,this time with the 20% discount was a no brainier.

Each to their own I say.

If this topic turns into a ‘the merits or not’ of drink packages I’ll pull my chair up and get the popcorn out.its a bit like the old boring dress code or smoking threads.

I sailed with Thomson in 2011 and they weren't all inclusive as standard. I had to pay for all my drinks. My parents got a free AI upgrade because we were on board at the time of their silver wedding anniversary, as I was in a different cabin and a relatively poor 20 year old with a zero-hour contract bartending job, I couldn't afford the AI upgrade 😞 yet somehow I still didn't break £100 on board spend for the week, and I bought myself two bottles of perfume too! Those were the days!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MellyMoo1989 said:

I sailed with Thomson in 2011 and they weren't all inclusive as standard. I had to pay for all my drinks. My parents got a free AI upgrade because we were on board at the time of their silver wedding anniversary, as I was in a different cabin and a relatively poor 20 year old with a zero-hour contract bartending job, I couldn't afford the AI upgrade 😞 yet somehow I still didn't break £100 on board spend for the week, and I bought myself two bottles of perfume too! Those were the days!

Hi.

My memory must be playing tricks.

We're sailing on Sunday, and today's email had a headline banner to say that disposable cups are no longer in use (I don't know how long that's been going on) and that we could buy a P&O travel cup. We won't.

The email goes on to say;

Don't forget:

A valid, in-date passport

s

Boarding pass downloaded from My P&O Cruises

Evidence of valid travel insurance

Check our alcohol policy, if you're planning to bring alcohol on board

s

Any documents required for the countries you are visiting. See here for destination entry requirements

I assume it's a generic email with nothing tailored to the actual cruise we're on apart from the couple of personalised details. How hard would it have been to actually advise the new policy in the email? I wouldn't have thought to actually check the link in the message, even though it might have affected me. 

I've seen a Crow's Nest drinks menu and there's a couple of whiskies on there that I could be happy with, if they're still available (it's a 2023 list on the website I saw). 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The question I was answering related to passengers preferring to only drink the ones they brought onboard.

Unfortunately your post was non specific it simply mentioned onboard spend.

That said, my point is still valid in relation to cruise fare vs onboard spend

Edited by S1971

6 hours ago, vitrocmax said:

We're sailing on Sunday, and today's email had a headline banner to say that disposable cups are no longer in use (I don't know how long that's been going on) and that we could buy a P&O travel cup. We won't.

The email goes on to say;

Don't forget:

A valid, in-date passport

s

Boarding pass downloaded from My P&O Cruises

Evidence of valid travel insurance

Check our alcohol policy, if you're planning to bring alcohol on board

s

Any documents required for the countries you are visiting. See here for destination entry requirements

I assume it's a generic email with nothing tailored to the actual cruise we're on apart from the couple of personalised details. How hard would it have been to actually advise the new policy in the email? I wouldn't have thought to actually check the link in the message, even though it might have affected me. 

I've seen a Crow's Nest drinks menu and there's a couple of whiskies on there that I could be happy with, if they're still available (it's a 2023 list on the website I saw). 

Glad to see P&O are thinking if the planet by removing disposable cups, at least you can BUY one of theirs, just like alcohol (spirits) you can't bring your own due to HESS but don't worry you can BUY from us whilst onboard.

For your benefit we've reduced the menu choices, but don't worry if theres nothing you like you can opt to dine in our various ADDITIONAL pay restaurants

Dear oh dear, goodbuy P&O oh goodbye sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, S1971 said:

Glad to see P&O are thinking if the planet by removing disposable cups, at least you can BUY one of theirs. 

Unless this has changed as well since last week, you can and they do encourage you to bring your own reusable cups and are happy to fill them. 

Obviously this is only for take aways, you still get a 'proper' cup if you drink in. 

Andy 

16 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

Shuttle services what do you mean by that. If you mean paying other companies do the same thing.

My apologies I missed this part of your reply.

"There was a shuttle bus and though it said it was the official P&O shuttle it was £5.50 each"

Taken from another ongoing P&O thread.

10 minutes ago, S1971 said:

My apologies I missed this part of your reply.

"There was a shuttle bus and though it said it was the official P&O shuttle it was £5.50 each"

Taken from another ongoing P&O thread.

This is at Haugesund, which is only a 950m walk into the town, so for many, and in P&Os eyes, a shuttle bus is not required. 

The problem is, it's over a steep bridge, which obviously causes issues for some. 

I didn’t think the shuttle bus was anything to do with P&O, but I may be wrong. 

I don't see this one as a cutbacks, as I don't believe it was ever offered free, but again, I could be wrong. 

Andy 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 11:49 AM, AndyMichelle said:

That is slightly different from what we were told on Britannia last week. 

The waiters said they were happy to make any cocktail in any bar, as long as they had the ingredients. 

We had 'Mai Tai' all around the ship, even when not on the menu. 

The frozen cocktails must be different, and I suppose it depends on the helpfulness of the bar staff. 

Andy

The same for us in February, the crows nest staff on Britannia would make anything ..eg margarita, whisky sour …unlike on Azura in September …a big no if it wasn’t on the menu 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Unless this has changed as well since last week, you can and they do encourage you to bring your own reusable cups and are happy to fill them. 

Obviously this is only for take aways, you still get a 'proper' cup if you drink in. 

Andy 

On Aurora a few weeks ago they provided reusable heavy plastic take away cups with lids which you just returned (or the cabin steward cleared them). No additional charge and yes they would fill your own.

As you say proper cups if sitting in.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

This is at Haugesund, which is only a 950m walk into the town, so for many, and in P&Os eyes, a shuttle bus is not required. 

The problem is, it's over a steep bridge, which obviously causes issues for some. 

I don't see this one as a cutbacks, as I don't believe it was ever offered free, but again, I could be wrong. 

Andy 

The bus was provided by the local business community and yes it was initially offered as a free service. So you are correct, not a P&O cutback.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

When we first visited Haugesund in 2018 there was definitely a shuttle bus paid for by P&O. It dropped off by the Cathedral at the top of the town. It was free for Select fare passengers. We visited twice last year and, as you say, there is no provided shuttle, just pay for options. My wife stayed on the ship both times as the bridge is challenging for manual wheelchair users (even with me pushing) as it’s quite steep and the pavement is narrow. 

• Like 1