Just now, MicCanberra said:

Yep, I suppose better pours only really works when you are drinking spirits and are paying as you go. When on a package, who cares.

You're just as likely to get better pours if you get to know the bartender well - as we did on Royal Princess in 2017. We ended up having predinner drinks most nights, along with a couple of our dinner companions, at the small Princess Live bar. The bartender must have liked us as he started free-pouring the spirits when making cocktails. His Captain's Bounty cocktail, which has four types of rum (usually a half nip of each) was lethal! 🤣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

You're just as likely to get better pours if you get to know the bartender well - as we did on Royal Princess in 2017. We ended up having predinner drinks most nights, along with a couple of our dinner companions, at the small Princess Live bar. The bartender must have liked us as he started free-pouring the spirits when making cocktails. His Captain's Bounty cocktail, which has four types of rum (usually a half nip of each) was lethal! 🤣

Yep, no need to tip for each drink, especially as it already has a grat added in anyway.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Galesa said:

Got into a FB spat with someone (HAL forum so assuming North American) about tipping bar tenders for every drink stating it makes her cruise better. Aaargh!

Anyway, I have nothing against tipping and leave tips for cabin staff. But the practice of rubbing the hands of a bartender in the expectation of favourable service I find patronising at best, crude at worst. This may be common practice in North American bars etc but on an international cruise ship with guests from all over the world, who pay a significant amount in crew appreciation plus 18% service charge for each drink, it has no place in my view.

Love how bribes have been rebranded as tips😂

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Love how bribes have been rebranded as tips😂

I actually saw a person sitting at the bar with dollar bills in front of her - this was a HAL cruise from Sydney to New Zealand and there were many Americans on board. 

Needless to say however, we had fabulous service from drinks waiters throughout the cruise- comfortably ignoring the "gratuity" space on the  receipt that HAL insist you sign for every drink even with a package.

• Like 2

Just a suggestion to the Aussies and Kiwis, when an American questions about tipping PLEASE DO NOT tell them that a small tip is OK for "exceptional" service. This just opens the door for them and gives them the excuse they are looking for. The term "exceptional" is subjective. Just advise them NO TIPPING under ANY circumstance - PERIOD. This will NOT stop all of them from doing it as some WANT to do it no matter what. But don't give them the excuse they are looking for. Example: an American will feel a taxi driver who takes luggage out of the trunk is "going above and beyond" his/her job and as such "deserves" a tip. When in reality that IS part of their job. The tipping culture is so out of control in the US. People in the US now tip automatically. Good service Bad service, it doesn't matter. Tipping is an American custom that is NOT practiced in most of the world. Sadly, far too many Americans will NOT adhere to the customs of the countries they visit even though they claim they want to. The arrogance and disrespect just frosts me.   

• Like 16

Given that unless on a package tips are added per drink anyway, then I think some "confuse' tipping with good old bribery.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JJK2008, thank you. I have often thought the same.

Encouraging people to tip starts the slippery slope to expected tipping.

Life in general, not specific to cruise ships

At most, if anything - round up taxis and pizza deliveries to nearest round number - ie $47:50 - make it $50. Keep the change sort of thing.

and if somebody really does exceptional service, not just does their usual job - publicly say so - on Trip advisor,their Facebook page, write letter to their management,send flowers to their workplace etc

• Like 2

On 5/5/2024 at 3:53 PM, MicCanberra said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic 

Hey Mic, is it your birthday today?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yesterday actually, US time and date I presume.

Hope it was a good one and that you were made a super fuss of by those that matter most.  Dee x

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yesterday actually, US time and date I presume.

Happy Birthday Mic. Wishing you many more cruises ahead.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kristelle said:

At most, if anything - round up taxis and pizza deliveries to nearest round number - ie $47:50 - make it $50. Keep the change sort of thing.

and if somebody really does exceptional service, not just does their usual job - publicly say so - on Trip advisor,their Facebook page, write letter to their management,send flowers to their workplace etc

Kristelle, Thank You for your reply, I agree with you. I'm an American and am looking at this from an American point of view. Even something as simple as telling some people that they can round up or keep the change for service, just opens the door for what they WANT to do anyway. That is why I suggest just saying NO - PERIOD without giving any exceptions. With the tipping mindset, even the slightest indication that it is OK to tip (no matter how innocent that suggestion may be) just opens the door for what they are going to do anyway. It allows them to justify to themselves that their actions are OK. As you mentioned "rewarding" someone for exceptional service comes in different forms, NOT just giving them money. In fact, in my experience writing positive letters, public postings, etc., are far more beneficial than money, as they can affect a person's career or job situation for years. Made my first trip to Oz and NZ last year. My DW and I have a number of friends in Oz (from past cruises) and we got a chance to meet up and visit with them. It truly was a wonderful trip. God willing, we want to go back sooner rather than later. The years are ticking by, and we have far more yesterdays than tomorrows left. Stay safe & Healthy.

John   

• Like 7

Thank you for your post JJK.

I really don't have "a thing" against tipping and do often. I prefer how we do it here in Australia but respect that in North America tipping is considered differently.

My particular beef is when people tip bar staff in particular, with the expectation the tip will endear them with the bar staff and as such will get preferential treatment at the expense of other non- tippers at the bar.  I honestly feel that has no place on a cruise ship, with guests from around the world, that are unused to tipping as a normal and regular practice.

• Like 11

On 5/8/2024 at 10:16 AM, Kristelle said:

Well the good thing is that next to nobody uses cash anymore.. so you don't even need to round the bill up. When they hand you the tap & go or the eftpos machine.. it's going to be $47.50. Maybe with the demise of cash.. we can kick this tipping nonsense to the curb 🙂 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Over from NZ said:

Well the good thing is that next to nobody uses cash anymore.. so you don't even need to round the bill up. When they hand you the tap & go or the eftpos machine.. it's going to be $47.50. Maybe with the demise of cash.. we can kick this tipping nonsense to the curb 🙂 

I think they've already got that covered. Gotta feel sorry for US visitors who keep being told Australia and NZ don't tip when every restaurant and cafe bill has a space for "Gratuity".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Galesa said:

I think they've already got that covered. Gotta feel sorry for US visitors who keep being told Australia and NZ don't tip when every restaurant and cafe bill has a space for "Gratuity".

Yes, but you can (and should) ignore that on the eft-pos machine when it pops up. 

Yep, we're seeing it occur more frequently in the tourist hop-spots.. where the eft-pos machines are asking you if you wish to add a tip. The answer we want to give is - "hell no, do I sound like an American?". I think the poster above was right onto it though - the simple explanation that should be given to US visitors.. is just don't do it! If you want to offload your money - just buy more. Eat out more, upgrade whatever you're doing.. do extra excursions. I.e. spend more.. but don't tip a cent. Excellent service is what's expected for the base fare. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

Well  I guess I am nobody 🤣 -  I do still use cash, probably more than most people.

However  I would still do same  - if  I caught a taxi and fare was 47:50  I would probably still say Make it $50

But the point is, it is still piddly amount loose change, keep the change type of thing

IF ANYTHING  - whether it is literally coin change or not.

and I agree, nobody needs to do this, it is not an expectation - speaking for myself only, who very rarely catches a taxi or gets a pizza delivery anyway, that is what I would do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galesa said:

Yes, it is a furthy about Aussies not tipping, we do but it is not like how they do it in the US.

I agree that there should be "No tips" for anything.

However, as a young 20 something with a casual bar job, many years ago, it was nice splitting the jars which held the loose change thrown in by patrons at the end of the night.

13 minutes ago, yarramar said:

I agree that there should be "No tips" for anything.

However, as a young 20 something with a casual bar job, many years ago, it was nice splitting the jars which held the loose change thrown in by patrons at the end of the night.

And that is the Reality.

Tips are not required or expected but very appreciated by the young or impoverished.

• Like 1

I have no issue putting change into a tips jar - although demise of cash will see them disappear soon - that sort of 'anonymous' loose change tipping is nothing like the american 20% thing or giving money to every porters, tour guide etc for pre paid activities

• Like 5

A Canadian here, would like to add my perspective to the conversation. Like the US, many employers in Canada  ( mostly food/ bar type establishments ) do not provide their staff with a liveable wage, hoping the consumer will supplement the wage with a tip. Is this right, no, does it happen, yes. 

The solution is simple, force ALL employers to pays a liveable wage, the consumer would see a price hike but then know that they don't need to tip. Reality would be the same amount of money would come out of the consumers pocket at the end of the day.

As far as on the cruise, I have no idea what the staff are being paid. When I order a drink in a bar and the waiter brings it over, I will most likely give them a US 1$ tip ( that's $1.40 CDN  ), not because I'm trying to buy their loyalty, but because I think they deserve it. At the end of the cruise I have probably spent an extra $ 20 to $30 on tips, again my choice.

I hope this doesn't bother people, my choice, again not trying to buy their loyalty.

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means and there are a number of "explanations" and "theories" on how tipping began in America. Some claim it was brought to the states from England as a part of Aristocratic society. The "well to do" giving a "tip" to low-end employees as a small gesture of gratitude. Is this accurate??? I don't know. But at some point (I think in the 1960's) the Federal Govt., passed a law allowing employers to pay less than the minimum wage to certain employees who received tips. This primarily was waitstaff, bartenders, etc. This was NOT porters, taxi drivers, tour guides, bus drivers and many other service workers who receive a regular wage. These workers get paid a regular wage (YES, even here in the US) to do their job. The tipping culture has now morphed into something that is no longer a show of appreciation but rather an obligation. It has gotten so bad in the US that people now will tip for good service, bad service, it doesn't matter. There are also some claims of outright "extortion" for example where porters at the airport or cruise terminal will "require" a tip or your luggage may go where??????????? Are these claims accurate??? I don't know but they are widely circulated. Speaking for myself, we never use porters at the airport or cruise terminal, we bring our luggage on ourselves or at the airport will check luggage at the counter. I am NOT against tipping or trying to be "cheap" (I've been accused of being cheap) when NOT tipping. But I am NOT going to just hand over extra money because it is expected. THAT is NOT a tip!!! To each their own, of course. I will NEVER tell some to tip or not to tip. But I do have an opinion as to what they do or don't do. Unfortunately, there are a large number of people (many here on CC) who will express their opinion on the subject in a very forceful way, I'm sure you have all read them. It is a very hostile topic. I wish the whole topic would just go away. Stay safe & Healthy all. Happy cruising. 

John             

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I see someone brought up the subject of the POS terminal. That has some interesting twists for the international traveler. We can't use our debit cards overseas (at least my financial institution doesn't support that) so we would use a credit card to pay. This opens up the whole percentage "fee" for using the credit card. Which seems to be a thing in Oz. Hotels demand a credit card to book, some even demand prepayment months in advance. Then charge a "fee" because you used a credit card. That is just off putting to me. Whatever the fees charged by the POS terminal provider are part of the cost of doing business, build it in to the price. 

• Like 5