Cancelling or Changing Excursions

molymoo

I am trying to decide the best way to handle an excursion issue for our upcoming Iconic Iceland, Greenland and Canada cruise (June 22).  We have booked our excursions and many of them were quite pricey.  In fact, it is the most we have ever spent on excursions on more than 20 Viking cruises.  There has been a pretty significant change in my physical status since the booking of these excursions and I will absolutely need to reassess the choices made and cancel ones selected and either go with the included or opt to simply stay on board at some stops.  I could cancel and/or change now and a refund will go to our credit card, or I could wait until onboard.  Waiting until onboard would give me an opportunity to, perhaps meet with someone in charge of shore excursions who could answer specific questions which might make the process more informed.  Has anyone had any experience “adjusting” their excursions onboard.  Are they generally open to meeting with passengers about specific questions.  I am imagining they would be perfectly fine meeting with me but I have never needed to meet with any crew members before so not sure as to protocols.   Our first full day is a sea day and the first stop is Nova Scotia and it seems as though that excursion would be okay so I would have the requisite 48 hours to make changes without monetary loss.  Any wisdom on this issue?

5 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Waiting until onboard would give me an opportunity to, perhaps meet with someone in charge of shore excursions who could answer specific questions which might make the process more informed.  Has anyone had any experience “adjusting” their excursions onboard.  Are they generally open to meeting with passengers about specific questions.  I am imagining they would be perfectly fine meeting with me but I have never needed to meet with any crew members before so not sure as to protocols.   Our first full day is a sea day and the first stop is Nova Scotia and it seems as though that excursion would be okay so I would have the requisite 48 hours to make changes without monetary loss.  Any wisdom on this issue?

Viking Crew, especially the Guest Service and Hotel Manager teams are amazing to work with.  No protocols... just walk up to Guest Services, sit down, and state your case/needs.

Viking will work with you, BUT remember that for paid for excursions, you must cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the excursion for a refund.   There was a communication more recently that stated that they would not make changes until 48 hours after sailing?  So combined with 48 hours before the excursion that could put some of your excursions in danger.

I would also email tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them your situation.

Someone please confirm the communication about when changes can be made????

24 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Viking Crew, especially the Guest Service and Hotel Manager teams are amazing to work with.  No protocols... just walk up to Guest Services, sit down, and state your case/needs.

Viking will work with you, BUT remember that for paid for excursions, you must cancel at least 48 hours in advance of the excursion for a refund.   There was a communication more recently that stated that they would not make changes until 48 hours after sailing?  So combined with 48 hours before the excursion that could put some of your excursions in danger.

I would also email tellus@vikingcruises.com and tell them your situation.

Someone please confirm the communication about when changes can be made????

Thanks for the info.  I'm sure we will be fine as the first significant change in excursions would likely be day 12 of the cruise ... that's when we get to Iceland.  

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, molymoo said:

Thanks for the info.  I'm sure we will be fine as the first significant change in excursions would likely be day 12 of the cruise ... that's when we get to Iceland.  

With this, I am certain that they will work with you under the cricumstances.

Just get to know the Guest Service Team... we visit them often while onboard and find them extremely helpful.

Also get to know the Shore Excursion (Shorex) manager by meeting with them after port talks... this person will likely be the most help to you.

We love getting to know the crew.  Many don't want to engage but we really enjoy it.

Edited by CDNPolar

The cancellations policy is 48 hour period so only excursions in the first two days are at risk before boarding. Also the daily will list what excursions ( port) must be finalized by the next day. 

We had a situation on our last cruise where we had booked an evening boat ride that was rated Easy. At the port talk the afternoon before, we found out that the pier was changed and it would be a 1.2 mile walk each way from our ship to the pier. We immediately went to guest services and requested a refund as the walking would be too much for us especially given the end of the day in the heat. The guest services agent needed approval, but he did get it in about 10 minutes. 

We've cancelled excursions within the 48 hours after getting accurate or more detailed information from guest services, and have been refunded. 

It was within the 48 hours as the excursion was the day after embarkation. 

Google Street view is a good resource for surfaces and step info, I also use searches on Facebook and Internet for photos and videos taken by visitors to wherever it is. 

You may find independent easier, as you can go at your own pace, prioritise what you want to see, rest and return to the ship whenever you choose. You also won't have to struggle on and off buses

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Also get to know the Shore Excursion (Shorex) manager by meeting with them after port talks... this person will likely be the most help to you.

We do the exact same thing!  We've learned so much from that manager.  We try to attend the very first port talk so that we can talk afterwards.  They are happy to discuss any of the future excursions with details.  We had such a nice man the last cruise on Saturn (from S.Africa).  Easy to talk with, easy to understand English wise, and very detailed in providing difficulty assessments, number of steps, angle of inclines, standing time, walking time, bathroom time and just about anything.

Based on that, we've often changed/cancelled excursions on board (ahead of the 48 hours) rather than wait for the later port talks.

The crew is all more than happy to engage with you all!  Especially if your are professional, courteous, polite.  (Not like some passengers we've observed who are just the opposite - what the staff must have to be subjected to is unbelievable).   Just be articulate and nice!

26 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

The crew is all more than happy to engage with you all!  Especially if your are professional, courteous, polite.  (Not like some passengers we've observed who are just the opposite - what the staff must have to be subjected to is unbelievable).   Just be articulate and nice!

We respect the crew on the ship and you get that and more back.

It also amazes us how some people treat them...

I’m On Saturn now, excursion cancellation deadlines are in the Daily. Example, “The final deadline to book, change or cancel excursions for May8 is 6:00pm on May6.”

Also, I added an excursion less than 24 hours prior, no problem as there were spaces available. I agree that guest services will gladly help you. 

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

We respect the crew on the ship and you get that and more back.

It also amazes us how some people treat them...

You are so right!  We have seen some truly abhorrent behavior toward the crew.  Fortunately most passengers behave well and are respectful of the crew and their fellow passengers.  

We have also booked tours right on the pier as the buses are being loaded.  The joys of handheld devices.  The charge was on our account when we got back to the cabin.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

We have also booked tours right on the pier as the buses are being loaded.  The joys of handheld devices.  The charge was on our account when we got back to the cabin.  

Yes - we have done the same.  Asked by Shorex manager to show up as she thought that there would be space and  there has been....  Just standing for a few minutes at the bus.