Live from the Nieuw Statendam

Are they doing turn down service at night again?  HAL has posted news that they are doing it again starting in May for their 150 Anniversary and using Stoopwaffels instead of chocolate.

And is there a classical music duo or trio onboard NS now?

I'm sailing on the June 1 cruise.

Just returned from the N.S. and we always had a nightly turn down service, towel animals and HAL chocolates only on “dressy nights” 

Would definitely have preferred a stroop wafel but presume it would be a mini one.

We just put the tidy my room card on when we went to dinner.

Have a great cruise, we did.

IMG_1244.jpeg

• Like 1

Rolling Stone Lounge is definitely a winner this cruise!  

@evalbert No stroopwaffle yet, but definitely got chocolates at turndown last night. I am not aware of a daily classical music ensemble onboard, but there is a “Chordial Chamber Trio” on the World Stage at least one night. 

Just got off the Nieuw Statendam after 28 days from April 7th thru May 5th.  

Had evening bed turn down each night.  Towel animals and chocolates on Dressy night only. No Classical music but think they are working on it. New shows on the World Stage with 4 female dancers and 2 male dancers with 2 male lead singers who were very good doing different sets over the cruise. Along with one female lead singer who did separate shows with the dancers.  The contract with the One Step Dancers is done.

Also during the first 2 weeks HAL held 2 cooking demonstrations in the World Stage that were presented very well and attended well.  Did not do them on the 2nd 2 weeks and don't know why.  Hopefully they continue them fleet wide.

Rolling Stones and BB King were very good.  Entertainment as a whole was good with good variety. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, evalbert said:

... and using Stoopwaffels instead of chocolate.

What????? No chocolates!!!!!  

Grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble. 

Are you sure? Why do they think I take their cruises! It's the chocolates!!! 

• Haha 5

I love that ship. We've had three cruises with her in the past 2 years. The Dutch Cafe and deck 10 lounges and bar are my favorites in the fleet. Od course, I  always said the Maasdam was my favorite Then Rotterdam. Fickle I guess. Have fun!

Since we boarded on Sunday, the BB Kings band has only had a male singer (not a male and a female singer as I've experienced on previous cruises) and they are playing 30 minute sets. Anyone know if this was the case on the previous cruise or what the issue might be? Suspect maybe an illness. The band has been great but really would like to see longer sets on this cruise like on past cruises.

We got off the NS on Sunday and there was both a male and female singer doing 45 min sets.  Speculation could be anything as to why she isn't singing now.  It was a good group while we were on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

What????? No chocolates!!!!!  

Grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble, grumble. 

Are you sure? Why do they think I take their cruises! It's the chocolates!!! 

Not to worry Ruth - the information presented was not really accurate.  The mini stroopwaffles will be on Dutch night. There's been nothing to indicate any change to the chocolates on dressy nights.

Sue/WDW1972

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Not to worry Ruth - the information presented was not really accurate.  The mini stroopwaffles will be on Dutch night. There's been nothing to indicate any change to the chocolates on dressy nights.

Whew! Thank you so much. 

I'm still asking for 2 chocolates per night of the cruise. I sail solo, but have to pay for two people, so I should get two chocolates. I don't care if they only distribute them on dressy night, but when I leave that ship, I better be wheeled off with 2 chocolates per night. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, CT D&N said:

Since we boarded on Sunday, the BB Kings band has only had a male singer (not a male and a female singer as I've experienced on previous cruises) and they are playing 30 minute sets. Anyone know if this was the case on the previous cruise or what the issue might be? Suspect maybe an illness. The band has been great but really would like to see longer sets on this cruise like on past cruises.

Oct, Nov & Dec (2 separate cruises) on NS there were 2 singers & 45 min sets.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:41 PM, CT D&N said:

Happy to follow up that after several days BB Kings is back to normal - return of a female singer and 45 minute sets. They did a great job getting through with only one singer but happy they're back to full strength.  The band has been great and enjoying them very much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CT D&N said:

Happy to follow up that after several days BB Kings is back to normal - return of a female singer and 45 minute sets. They did a great job getting through with only one singer but happy they're back to full strength.  The band has been great and enjoying them very much!

That is good to hear!

Love the band's motto "use your drink package.....the more you drink, the better we sound!" 🙂 Though they sound pretty good even without drink taken.

• Like 2