Volendam 2024 eastern Canada season. Tips and lessons learned

Dive in burger.

Not sure what we are doing wrong.  Twice,we were served a burger without bun.

Yesterday, just decided to go to the buffet and select a suitable bread.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 11:27 AM, bebe08 said:

We are also on Volendam now.  We forgot about there being only one 110v plug in the room.  DH went to gift shop and bought a voltage converter with USB ports for 20$.  Our stateroom attendant obviously noticed and put a power bar in our room.  All that to say I recommend bringing an adapter if you have it so that you can also use the 230v plug as well.

To get to Mdr level 4 you need to go up to level 5 if approaching from midship and then back down to 4.

We are really enjoying the cruise. Ports are all repeats for us and most are easy to Dyi if you choose.  

Happy to answer any specific questions.

It has been 2020 since we were on the Volendam - Are there any USB ports in the cabins on the Volendam?  

On 5/8/2024 at 9:16 AM, CGinMTL said:

Greetings everyone. We are currently on the volendam. We are here may 4 th to 18 th

Thought I can start a thread to gather tips on the ship and the ports to help others 

I'll be on June 1st. Can you tell me how the entertainment is? Especially the piano bar?

Thanks

Lois

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I found this picture from 2023 of a Vista Suite on the Volendam, so it looks like that category got upgraded wall mounted TVs. I found this on the Cruise Deck Plans website.

VolVer614-49217-1696555022.webp

That is still pretty sad that a wall that size has what looks like a 32" TV mounted oddly on a frame that looks to be made for like a 48" TV. I know that people don't cruise to watch TV but in a time when the average size of TV's in American homes are around 55 inches, HAL could do better at least in their suites on the older ships. 

No USB PORTS unless hidden behind the TV.  TV is a small flat-screen approx 32 inches. It is attached to a shelf and cannot be moved so difficult to see what is behind it re outlets unless you look over the top of TV behind the wall.

We were not given a specific  boarding time.  Boarding pass just said boarding begins at 12 noon.

We are really enjoying the entertainment.  There is the sing a long style piano bar in Mix who is lots of fun.  Also the house band plays in Ocean Bar and they are good.  Lovely solo singer/guitarist recently joined the cruise.  There is also a more classical style pianist.  Shows in 7 nights include 2 from Step 1 dance company, a comedian who plays 2 nights and a local group.

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

That is still pretty sad that a wall that size has what looks like a 32" TV mounted oddly on a frame that looks to be made for like a 48" TV. I know that people don't cruise to watch TV but in a time when the average size of TV's in American homes are around 55 inches, HAL could do better at least in their suites on the older ships. 

I agree, but much better than the 19" TVs on a desk or shelf pre covid.

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

I agree, but much better than the 19" TVs on a desk or shelf pre covid.

The Volendam inside and outside cabins never had the TVs on the desk. They were always on the shelf above the desk, leaving plenty of useable space below. 
The great thing about leaving them there is that they can still be seen from the couch, unlike the cabins where the couch is below the TV, which is opposite the bed! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are in Bar Harbor today.  A couple of things to note:  our cruise director mentioned last night that as of next year Bar Harbor is not permitting cruise ships so enjoy it while you can.  We almost cancelled our excursion before we knew about this in favour of sleeping in and having a quiet day on the ship.  Glad we didn't!  Also found out last night we have to do a face to face mandatory immigration thing this morning...starts nice and early lol so wouldn't have been able to sleep in anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 9:29 AM, CGinMTL said:

Volendam . Connection to Ukraine

This is interesting .

20240506_135358.jpg

There is a lovely book with Guest Services containing art work and more information about the Ukrainian stay on board on the "beautiful and elegant Volendam" . Very heart warming.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RuthC said:

The Volendam inside and outside cabins never had the TVs on the desk. They were always on the shelf above the desk, leaving plenty of useable space below. 
The great thing about leaving them there is that they can still be seen from the couch, unlike the cabins where the couch is below the TV, which is opposite the bed! 

On the Noordam in July 2019 we had one of those small TVs sitting on the desk in our Signature Suite. After her refurbishment late 2019 she got larger wall mounted flat screen interactive TVs. 

8 hours ago, terrydtx said:

On the Noordam in July 2019 we had one of those small TVs sitting on the desk in our Signature Suite.

Entirely different class of ships. Also an entirely different class of cabins. 
Not at all the same. 

On 5/9/2024 at 8:33 AM, CGinMTL said:

Dive in burger.

Not sure what we are doing wrong.  Twice,we were served a burger without bun.

Yesterday, just decided to go to the buffet and select a suitable bread.

By any chance, were you ordering the freestyle burger? It’s a lettuce wrap burger and automatically comes without a bun. Otherwise, getting them to leave out the bun is possible but takes some convincing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

By any chance, were you ordering the freestyle burger? It’s a lettuce wrap burger and automatically comes without a bun. Otherwise, getting them to leave out the bun is possible but takes some convincing.

That is the way I often order my burgers at Dive In.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2024 at 11:44 AM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Exactly. Boyfriend was ordering " free dive"

His English is getting better everyday hihi

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2nd leg seems more crowded then 1st 

Weather is getting better 

We are back in Halifax 

Comment on immigration 

If you go from Montreal to Boston 

You will have a usa face to face with immigration and bar harbour being a tender port, makes it one more issue 

On the way back to Canada, very seamless 

Fill a firm, drop it in a box 

1 couple was called to immigration ( my guess, they did not return the form )

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, electro said:

Do they have a daily Happy Hour? I will not be getting the HIA for my sailing on June 1st.

Thanks

Lois

They do

Ocean bar and mix I think

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CGinMTL said:

In Halifax 

Just took the ferry 

Senior $2 return

Reg. 3.75 one way

Which ferry? To Dartmouth? 

Edited by electro
typo

38 minutes ago, electro said:

Which ferry? To Dartmouth? 

Yes. Ferry to Dartmouth  

Ferry terminal is at the end of the boardwalk 

20240513_110255.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JWH0622 said:

What are the show times for the World Stage?

Are they doing any cooking shows/demos/classes?

730 and 9 pm for the shows.  Didn't see any cooking demos.