Cancelled Ports

I appreciate if weather conditions are bad that a port of call is missed. I can't speak for Princess cruise lines as I am unaware of how many ports are missed for other reasons. We have in the past sailed with P&O from Southampton. Last year we were on a 35 night cruise from Southampton. I'm not a great sea day's person although I appreciate if you sail from Southampton to the USA, Caribbean also taking in Cozumel Mexico, Belize and Roatan that it's inevitable that there will be a few more sea days than sailing to the Med with stops at Virgo Spain, Lisbon Portugal or Gibraltar. However our 35 night cruise was supposed to have been 6 days before our first port of Bermuda. Due to the Captains crystal ball we were told three days into the cruise Bermuda would be missed. Therefore it was ten days before getting to Freeport Bahamas. Stir crazy was putting it mildly as the entertainment on the whole was dross and the only speaker of any note throughout the cruise talked about photography. The food was poor, except Speciality restaurant Sindu (Indian cuisine), immigration at New Orleans a shamble. The first day for some turned into a few hours as it was 16.30 in the afternoon before some got through. Various other things too numerous to mention made it a very poor cruise. Sailing back was 6 day's to Ponta del garda in the Azores then a further three to Southampton. If I and the wife could have flown back we would have from Port Canaveral, but she's unable to fly. 

57 minutes ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I appreciate if weather conditions are bad that a port of call is missed. I can't speak for Princess cruise lines as I am unaware of how many ports are missed for other reasons. We have in the past sailed with P&O from Southampton. Last year we were on a 35 night cruise from Southampton. I'm not a great sea day's person although I appreciate if you sail from Southampton to the USA, Caribbean also taking in Cozumel Mexico, Belize and Roatan that it's inevitable that there will be a few more sea days than sailing to the Med with stops at Virgo Spain, Lisbon Portugal or Gibraltar. However our 35 night cruise was supposed to have been 6 days before our first port of Bermuda. Due to the Captains crystal ball we were told three days into the cruise Bermuda would be missed. Therefore it was ten days before getting to Freeport Bahamas. Stir crazy was putting it mildly as the entertainment on the whole was dross and the only speaker of any note throughout the cruise talked about photography. The food was poor, except Speciality restaurant Sindu (Indian cuisine), immigration at New Orleans a shamble. The first day for some turned into a few hours as it was 16.30 in the afternoon before some got through. Various other things too numerous to mention made it a very poor cruise. Sailing back was 6 day's to Ponta del garda in the Azores then a further three to Southampton. If I and the wife could have flown back we would have from Port Canaveral, but she's unable to fly. 

OUCH!!!

I'm no fan of sea days and just received notice that a port has been cancelled on our upcoming cruise, adding 1 more sea day. I can't imagine 10 days at sea with no ports and will never do any ocean crossing for that reason.

You have my sympathy!

I was wondering about that too... but reading carefully, looks like it was a P&O cruise.

One thing I love about Princess is that they're really good at entertainment. There are always a lot of different activities and entertainers and shows. We quite enjoy sea days, although I do understand the 'stir crazy' feeling of wanting to get off after a week or so.

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Are you asking a question?

Like some others we love sea days.   Great opportunity to disconnect and slow down.  We mostly do 14+ day cruises.  

As for ports missed for other reasons.  Medical evacuation caused missing some 8 ports in 30 cruises.  At least 4 ports missed due to civil unrest or armed conflict.  One port because entrance to harbor blocked by a cargo ship that sank.  Then of course some rescheduled or deleted before the cruise began. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, memoak said:

We love sea days. Just did 16 day Hawaii cruise with 11 sea days

So do we...transatlantic and transpacifics are the best!

• Like 1

I did not say it, but I cruise to be on board, enjoy sea days. Princess always has active sea days and when a port is missed they adjust the schedule to add activities. Food on Princess is fairly good with lots of different venues. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I appreciate if weather conditions are bad that a port of call is missed. I can't speak for Princess cruise lines as I am unaware of how many ports are missed for other reasons.

Weather is by far not the only reason - there could be:

- Port issues (damage to a pier, striking dockworkers, bridge collapse in harbor)

- Decision by the country/locality to reduce or not allow cruise ships (Bar Harbor and San Juan del Sur are two I can think of offhand)

- Civil unrest or other unsafe public situations (Labadee)

- Issues with the ship that cause it to miss its "window"

For example, our recent Emerald Princess cruise from LA to Ft. Lauderdale through the Panama Canal had to miss San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua, because authorities had banned cruise ships (and looking at past news stories, they have only allowed a small number since 2000). I see in CruiseMapper that port visits are scheduled again later this year, but that might also be tentative.

I am sure the OP was referring to a P & O cruise on Aurora in ? February this year. It was well documented by Selbourne on the P & O board at the time.

2 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

I am sure the OP was referring to a P & O cruise on Aurora in ? February this year. It was well documented by Selbourne on the P & O board at the time.

I guess it was posted on the incorrect board.

Just the thought of being on a P&O ship again is bad enough. Trapped on board with all those fellow Brits whilst at sea would be my worst nightmare!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, skynight said:

I guess it was posted on the incorrect board.

The post mentions Princess near the beginning, so I think it was meant for this board.

20 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

I can't speak for Princess cruise lines as I am unaware of how many ports are missed for other reasons

What the point of it is, though is not clear unless it’s to solicit feedback about missed ports on Princess cruises.