Passport Stamps

Hi - this may be a dumb question -

I've not been on a cruise since college.  We are on BIE this July.  Do you automatically get passport stamps at each port or do you have to go somewhere to get them? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

I will let the more knowledgeable cruisers answer your question for the cruise element. In my border crossing experience by land and air it is quite uncommon to have a rubber stamp or any physical mark by the border staff. One must ask for it at the manned station otherwise it is a wave-through after the scan/questions/etc. Saving time and using data is much more efficient.

Upon arrival to Barcelona, all pax had to pass thru Immigration/Border Control in cruise terminal, before being allowed to exit terminal.  Each pax had to have face to face interaction with agents, and passports were stamped.

Process was very fast and efficient, with minimal waiting in que/line. 

• Like 1

I think that it depends on the cruise and the countries...

We did the Viking Homelands cruise and did not get a stamp for any of the countries that we visited other than the arrival in Stockholm where we started the cruise and that of course was at the airport.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I think that it depends on the cruise and the countries...

We did the Viking Homelands cruise and did not get a stamp for any of the countries that we visited other than the arrival in Stockholm where we started the cruise and that of course was at the airport.

If traveling in the EU you’ll get an entry stamp and an exit stamp, even then some entry is automated and there are no longer stamps. Also our last time entering the UK it was automated and there were no stamps.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

when the 'Schengen Area' came into being in 1995 it eliminated the need for individual passport inspections when crossing boarders of individual member countries. One simply gets 'Schengen' entry stamp and until you visit outside of Schengen (like the UK) you're good ... no country stamps .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area ...... Editorial comment: find a better way to document your travels ..... a 'false stamp' in your passport can be a problem :: 

"a 59-year-old woman from the United Kingdom, thinks of herself as a well-traveled person. And really, she’s got the ticket stubs and passport stamps to prove it. However, as she recently learned while attempting to board a Qatar Airways flight in Thailand, some of those stamps can really get you in trouble.

“An excited traveler, I presented myself and my passport at Qatar airways last night to be told I couldn't fly because of the Machu Picchu stamp in my passport,” Sibley shared in a Facebook post. “I thought the guy was having a laugh. But no.”

On page five of each and every U.S. passport international travelers will find that “Alteration or Mutilation of Passport,” is unauthorized and “only authorized officials of the United States or of foreign countries may place stamps or make notations or additions to this passport.”

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 8:25 PM, Think_Big_Island said:

Thanks - We got them at every country we were in in Africa but I realize that the UK could have a very different system.

It's all electronic. Actual stamps are rare now. You are unlikely to need to take your passport with you at every port. 

We've got three actual stamps in our current passports, Schengen, USA and Russia. No other countries bothered with them 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1