Production shows on Rotterdam?

They added the new ones right around the time we were on at Easter. I heard they were expanding the offerings when they got to Europe.

13 minutes ago, POA1 said:

They added the new ones right around the time we were on at Easter. I heard they were expanding the offerings when they got to Europe.

Thankyou we cruise on 25th May Europe. 

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Could anyone who has cruised on the Rotterdam recently post here about the type of production shows on board now?  We really enjoy seeing the shows in the evenings and have missed them over the last few years. We will be on the Rotterdam (Best of Norway) in 10 days. 
Thanks!

Edited by wandb
Forgot a sentence!

On 7/10/2024 at 6:09 PM, wandb said:

Could anyone who has cruised on the Rotterdam recently post here about the type of production shows on board now?  We really enjoy seeing the shows in the evenings and have missed them over the last few years. We will be on the Rotterdam (Best of Norway) in 10 days. 
Thanks!

Sailed Rotterdam last month, and the four new production shows are now onboard. They actually premiered the fourth show while we were onboard, with the entertainment staff watching from the audience. The shows are from HAL's entertainment company, RWS, and feature 3 vocalists (2 male, 1 female), and 6 dancers (4 female, 2 male). The shows have odd titles, such as: "[Singer name(s)] featured in [Show name]", making the show seem like a solo entertainment act rather than a production show. The only name I can remember off the top of my head is "[Singer] featured in Diva las Vegas". 

IMHO, the new shows were a mixed bag, and felt average at best. Each show features all the dancers and one of the vocalists, with the other vocalists performing in very limited capacity or not at all. For example, "Diva Las Vegas" featured the female vocalist for the entire show, with one song by her male counterpart, and no songs from the other male vocalist. It felt odd to not have all the singers onstage together, and the show felt rushed with costume changes and pacing as there was only one singer on stage for the majority of the time.

I do like they've added singers back to the cast, as opposed to Step One which was just dancers and recorded music. The song choices and show themes were the worst part for me, with really dated, obscure songs (from the 1920s?!) and a very loose thread of a theme tying them all together. The singers and dancers always try their best with what they're given, but the production value felt off. YMMV, but they were a miss for me. 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Infi said:

Sailed Rotterdam last month, and the four new production shows are now onboard. They actually premiered the fourth show while we were onboard, with the entertainment staff watching from the audience. The shows are from HAL's entertainment company, RWS, and feature 3 vocalists (2 male, 1 female), and 6 dancers (4 female, 2 male). The shows have odd titles, such as: "[Singer name(s)] featured in [Show name]", making the show seem like a solo entertainment act rather than a production show. The only name I can remember off the top of my head is "[Singer] featured in Diva las Vegas". 

IMHO, the new shows were a mixed bag, and felt average at best. Each show features all the dancers and one of the vocalists, with the other vocalists performing in very limited capacity or not at all. For example, "Diva Las Vegas" featured the female vocalist for the entire show, with one song by her male counterpart, and no songs from the other male vocalist. It felt odd to not have all the singers onstage together, and the show felt rushed with costume changes and pacing as there was only one singer on stage for the majority of the time.

I do like they've added singers back to the cast, as opposed to Step One which was just dancers and recorded music. The song choices and show themes were the worst part for me, with really dated, obscure songs (from the 1920s?!) and a very loose thread of a theme tying them all together. The singers and dancers always try their best with what they're given, but the production value felt off. YMMV, but they were a miss for me. 

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Did they bring back live music for each of the shows?

27 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Did they bring back live music for each of the shows?

The vocals were live, but the background music was all pre-recorded.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Infi said:

The vocals were live, but the background music was all pre-recorded.

Are you certain the vocals were live?  The way they rush the links between vocals gives me suspicion of lip synching.  

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Are you certain the vocals were live?  The way they rush the links between vocals gives me suspicion of lip synching.  

The lead singers are live... The background singers are recorded.

At least they were (and confirmed by those that would know!) in April, where we saw three of the shows.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, wandb said:

Thanks!

We're going to be on that one too. My first HAL. I'm very excited. See you there maybe. 

4 hours ago, Goldenrosebags said:

We're going to be on that one too. My first HAL. I'm very excited. See you there maybe. 

Yeaaa. Hope you will join us on the Roll Call. Not sure how to post a link to it, but it is the July 20-Aug3 Best of Norway. We could use a bit more input on excursions, private tours, etc. We don't have a Meet and Greet planned, but hopefully we can meet up informally at some point on the cruise. 

23 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes. Especially in the "solo" shows, you could tell that all the live vocals took a lot of effort for the singer's voice. Background vocals/tracks were all pre-recorded.