American Airline self service check in

gumballz

Has anyone used the self service check in? If so, could you please explain to me how it works? I'm used to just waiting in line for the next available agent and handing them my luggage while they hand me my boarding passes. Is this self service check in easier? Faster? Confusing?

I noticed they have an online check in and a self serve check in at the airport. We'll be flying from PHX to MIA next week.

Thanks for your help!

Has anyone used the self service check in? If so, could you please explain to me how it works? I'm used to just waiting in line for the next available agent and handing them my luggage while they hand me my boarding passes. Is this self service check in easier? Faster? Confusing?

I noticed they have an online check in and a self serve check in at the airport. We'll be flying from PHX to MIA next week.

Thanks for your help!

I fly AA out of Sky Harbor a lot. In fact, I will be there Monday at 8:00AM. I do online check in, print out my boarding pass and if I have luggage to check, I use the outside curbside check in. Sometimes they also print me a new boarding pass on regular AA paper stock and sometimes they just hand me back my self-printed bp. Then onto security and to the gate. VERY easy.

greatam, how soon in advance can we do the online check in?

It sounds easy. By chance, if I mess something up is it an easy fix?

Thank you for your help!

That is somehat in debate. The AA website states 24 hours pre flight. However, I just did AA checkin for my flight tomorrow at 8:47AM and it is now 7:25AM. I asked the AA EXP desk and got two different answers. One person stated anytime after EXACTLY 24 hours pre flight (AA website info) and one person stated 24 hours before pre flight checkin, which is one hour+ on most flights. Lots of times, it is the last thing I do before I walk out the door. That way, you have your BP's on "top of the stack" and not stuffed away.

If you mess up, you will have to go to an agent. You can't really mess up-the website says do you want to check in??? Not much other info needed-just make sure the printer works.

As crucero-amante posted, there are inside self check in kiosks. However, at Sky Harbor, if the flight is full or they are very busy, AA will not take self check in baggage. You have to drag it to the "big bomb machine"-TSA screener, have it screened, THEN drag it back to the AA counter. Sometimes, TSA will take if after screening, but only IF they are not too busy. There is NO consistancy inside.

That is the reason I ALWAYS use the outside check-in. I walk into the airport, bypassing the inside lines and masses of people, minus luggage. By the way, outside check in can also print boarding passes, but if there is the least little thing wrong with your reservation (according to their computer), you will have to go stand inside. Print your own and use outside checkin. I know you are staying in a hotel pre flight. Just print before you leave Prescott.

I've used their inside self-checkin and it has worked just fine. If you have baggage, you just need to make sure it is a check-in location for people with no checked luggage. You simply swipe a credit card, which draws your name up. You then confirm your flight and select how many bags you are checking. Then your tags will print and a counter person will call your name and place them on your bags. Pretty easy.

on line check in is idiot proof. i use it all the time and drop off the bags curbside.

actually delta's on line check in is how i found out that they changed my flights last october and didn't call me.....major mess, but i went to a human at the airport and got it fixed.

the on line is easy, so are the kiosks at the terminal.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to give it a try. It sounds easy enough and with the time I need to be up and ready to go, the least amount of things I need to worry about the better. lol

Greatam, have a fun & safe trip! :)

FYI

AmericanAirlines is charging 2 dollars per bag to check in at curb side in Tulsa. Perhaps this is a test?

HH

Can anyone confirm this? It sounds very easy to do the online check in and I plan on using that for our May flight out of SFO. Do we actually pay the curbside person $2 for each bag checked in? Thanks.

At the self check in kiosk there is usually an agent to make sure your bag(s) get checked if you do go into the terminal. I find it all quite easy.[/quote

I have done the AA self check-in a SFO, it is so much faster and yes there will be an agent to help you and take your bags.

I did the online check in 24 hours prior.

Does anyone know???

Is there a curb side check in Bangor,Maine? Also, can I do the self check(on-line) on April 6..for our flights April 8?

Also..is there a port side(dock) check in ..in Ft. Lauderdale for AA?

We leave for the Sea Princess on the 6th in the morning...driving to Bangor from Saint John, New Brunswick.

Is there a curb side check in Bangor,Maine? Also, can I do the self check(on-line) on April 6..for our flights April 8?

Also..is there a port side(dock) check in ..in Ft. Lauderdale for AA?

dannish, I checked the AA site to try to find an answer for you. Based on what I found, it doesn't look like they offer curbside check in at Bangor.

As for the $2 per bag that baditcat mentioned, there are several airports that charge this fee. It states on the site that it's cash only, so if your airport is one that offers it be prepared. There's also several airports that offer curbside check in on a seasonal basis.

Here's the list I found if you're interested in seeing if your airport offers the curbside check in. :) http://www.aa.com/content/urls/curbside.jhtml?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=curbside

I didn't find any information about Fort Lauderdale Port check-in, sorry.

dannish, I checked the AA site to try to find an answer for you. Based on what I found, it doesn't look like they offer curbside check in at Bangor.

As for the $2 per bag that baditcat mentioned, there are several airports that charge this fee. It states on the site that it's cash only, so if your airport is one that offers it be prepared. There's also several airports that offer curbside check in on a seasonal basis.

Here's the list I found if you're interested in seeing if your airport offers the curbside check in. :) http://www.aa.com/content/urls/curbside.jhtml?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=curbside

I didn't find any information about Fort Lauderdale Port check-in, sorry.

Thank you for the info...I thought that I had checked everything on the AA web site ..guess I missed somethings. But this on-line check is great... thanks again and happy cruising:D

Just curious-wouldn't everyone have the money in cash anyhow, whether or not you have to actually pay for curbside or not? In all my experience flying, curbside or porters or whatever you want to call them always "deserved" a tip of about $2.00 per bag. I just give them the same $2.00 per bag I have given them the previous 10 years and THEY can sort it out with AA management about who gets the money. I really have wondered if the airports that went to the $2.00 fixed charge did that so the "tip" money was on par with other airports. Kind of like tipping on a ship??? Tips pay for wages. Don't know, just feel that way.

Well, you and I would normally have cash for a tip for the porters but after reading these boards over the past year or so I've come to realize that not everyone has the same opinions on tipping. I see quite a few posts from people saying that they don't tip for one reason or another, which is unfortunate. As you stated, tips pay for wages.

With that said, I thought I'd just give everyone that doesn't normally tip a little 'gentle reminder' to encourage them to bring cash so they didn't end up unhappy at the airport and start off their vacation on a bad note.

• 2 weeks later...

We flew AA home from our Miami cruise in Feb. Used shipboard internet to print our boarding passes the night before. With these, we were able to check our luggage curbside. You do not have to go to the check in counter in the terminal (they were a zoo). We had a 1PM flight. Security was a breeze, we went through in less than 5 minutes. All of the congestion was elsewhere. We did not take a cruise transfer. We always grab a cab and get to the airport as quickly as possible. As I recall, AA has a 24 hour window for on line boarding passes. Highly recommend this, it certainly saved us grief in MIA.

FYI

AmericanAirlines is charging 2 dollars per bag to check in at curb side in Tulsa. Perhaps this is a test?

HH

HH,

Nope, they charged me $2 a bag at ABQ as well. We use AA a lot and print our boarding passes out at home 24 hours prior. One problem area; when you arrive at the kiosks make sure you use a card that has your name set up just the way it appears on your reservation. My name has a McD spelling, but on my credit card it appears Mc D, and this just sent the system into overload. They had to shut down that computer and reboot it to restore the system. I use my reservation number now!:rolleyes: :)

Kel

HH,

Nope, they charged me $2 a bag at ABQ as well. We use AA a lot and print our boarding passes out at home 24 hours prior. One problem area; when you arrive at the kiosks make sure you use a card that has your name set up just the way it appears on your reservation. My name has a McD spelling, but on my credit card it appears Mc D, and this just sent the system into overload. They had to shut down that computer and reboot it to restore the system. I use my reservation number now!:rolleyes: :)

Kel

Your AA FF number is ALWAYS a winner. No need to get out a card, remember spelling, syntax, etc. Just punch in your FF number and viola-boarding passes.

Your AA FF number is ALWAYS a winner. No need to get out a card, remember spelling, syntax, etc. Just punch in your FF number and viola-boarding passes.

greatam,

Great idea, I just haven't memorized my number yet:rolleyes: :) . I wish they had a "hard" credit card style AAdvantage card that you could just swipe.

Still, check in is a piece of cake!

Enjoy!

Kel

FYI - the $2/bag charges go directly to the airline, NOT to the skycap doing the curbside checkin. If you want anything to go to him, you need to add that to the $2.

Supposedly!!! I am sure that is what AA intended. LAX and PHX AA skycaps are putting the CASH in their pockets. AND there is no way to pay the fee with credit or debit. When I asked for a receipt March 27 at Sky Harbor, I was told no-go inside if you don't want to pay.

I still believe it is kind of like cruise tipping. The signs went up, to insure EVERYONE paid the $2.00 per bag. Now it is considered part of the wages. Like restaurants that pay $2.50 per hour, add in tip income to come out to minimum wage, then the employee keeps the rest. The AA beancounters at work again.

greatam,

Great idea, I just haven't memorized my number yet:rolleyes: :) . I wish they had a "hard" credit card style AAdvantage card that you could just swipe.

Still, check in is a piece of cake!

Enjoy!

Kel

If you fly AA enough, they give you shiny cards!!!

Have been informed that the cash goes in the pocket - as a place to store it, not keep it. Those AA beancounters have the computers programmed so that they can tell exactly how many bags were checked in at the curbside station. Multiply that times $2 and that's what the skycaps have to turn in.

All computer bag systems log where/when bags are checked in, as part of the tracking system. Airlines also use it as a productivity gauge for agents.

A receipt would then be appropriate. $2.00 per bag in this scenario is a legitimate business expense. One was not given in PHX. In fact, the receipt was DENIED and I was told to go inside.

I will find out tomorrow, as I will ask for a receipt at LAX. If I am denied a receipt again, then I can only surmise that the money is going into pockets, much as restaurant tips.

Archived