Cruising Solo

Oh, I did think of a tip.  It's pretty easy to meet people by offering to take their photo. You can chat enough where neither of you aren't committed and you'll get a first impression fairly quickly.  Also you'll recognize each other afterward so at least you can say hi in passing.  I usually try to say hi in passing anyone I've spoken to on the trip.  I'm pretty sure I met the couple at the bar just outside of a port by taking their photo - it helped that we were seated outside where the background was great for a photo.  Plus you'll get someone to take your photo on vacation out of the deal.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

I'm curious, was your friend able to get double Captain's Club points since she traveled solo or did she only get single Captain's Club point since the cabin was originally booked as double occupancy?

Great question!  I didn't ask but will find out and report back.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I joined my roll call on here but it looks like there are only handful of people that joined.  Unless things pick up in the next 8 weeks I don't think that silent group is going to meet up.  I've never met anyone from any rollcall so far.  Does someone usually just start asking to meet up out of the blue?  

My experience is limited because I've only done 4 cruises.  The people I've met onboard where we've hung out with after initially meeting.  It has happened at group tables for breakfast or lunch.  Never dinner for some reason.  Once at a bar at one port also - mainly because we were all from Texas and sailed out of Florida.  I don't really enjoy sitting in the bar - I take my drink and go do stuff and those people appear to enjoy sitting at the bar more than I do.

I've met people on excursions where we recognize each other afterward, but never hung out.  I do wonder if food and beverage make me look like more fun to hang out with.  Group tables may not be a thing now though - my last cruise they never provided that option when being sat.

A good place to meet folks is Cafe al Bacio.  Because it's always crowded, people will invariably ask if they can join me or I'll ask if I can join him/her/them.  It's been pretty foolproof for 16 years.  I'm still traveling with people I met there over the years.  On S or M class ships, you can request a table for 8 for early or late dining.  Or, the 2-top tables are so close together, that unless they're particularly antisocial, you can't help but speak with your neighbors.  When it's a good mix, it has frequently led to all of us requesting a larger table together each night.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Really?  I hadn't heard this.  Wonder where it's written...I don't solo cruise but I know of at least one friend who was booked and ready to travel with a guy.  The guy somehow got out of the picture and so she went solo as I wasn't able to go with her.  She was not charged as a solo.  This was in February.

It isn't on every itinerary.   You'll see 2x+a small amount on some, you will see 3x on others.   The port rich ones tend to be the ones that are screwing solos.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:41 PM, Safari-Wom said:

I’m about to go on my first solo cruise:  a 7 night Alaska trip.  My usual & favorite travel companion is unable to go due to health issues (we are both 76 yo so not surprising I guess) and nobody else I know is interested.   I’m going on Celebrity Edge & have splurged on a Retreat level Sky Suite so I’ll have access to the Retreat Lounge, Pool Deck & my own balcony so I’ll only have to deal with 300ish cruisers opposed to 3000

which makes me feel more comfortable.  I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with solo on a cruise ship they’d be willing to share.  I’ll have access to Luminae specialty restaurant for meals and I can use room service w/o paying the ridiculous fee for that with Retreat. I’m used to doing many things comfortably on my own and love to read and play games on my IPad which will help & I’ve booked several small group excursions.  Please share any tips or experiences with me.  

I have done several solo cruises over the last 2 years.

Sounds like you know what you like & have set yourself up to do just what you want!

If you do decide you want to be social, I met people playing trivia, sitting at a bar/restaurant/pool,  on excursions or attending the Solo Meet & greets (listed in the daily planner)

I'm pretty social but like you also enjoy some alone time.

LOVE LOVE Eclass  & have done Retreat once. It should fit your needs well.

Do not miss the production shows on Eclass--they are some of the best at sea on any line.

And if you are looking for a specialty meal, I highly recommend Eden.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

A good place to meet folks is Cafe al Bacio.  Because it's always crowded, people will invariably ask if they can join me or I'll ask if I can join him/her/them.  It's been pretty foolproof for 16 years.  I'm still traveling with people I met there over the years.  On S or M class ships, you can request a table for 8 for early or late dining.  Or, the 2-top tables are so close together, that unless they're particularly antisocial, you can't help but speak with your neighbors.  When it's a good mix, it has frequently led to all of us requesting a larger table together each night.   

I second the idea of meeting people in Bacio.  And close together two tops.

I received a “last minute deals” email from Celebrity today. Low prices in cruises, 75% off second guest. Sounds great, right?

I selected a cruise with a discounted fare of $250. I figured the fee would be $250 + $68, or somewhere in that neighborhood. Boy, was I wrong. When I dropped the number of occupants from two to one the price increased to over $1000.

They really must not want solo cruisers.

• Like 3