Question from new CPAP user

Cabunit

1 hour ago, Cabunit said:

Thank you @memoak.  My APAP comes in a number of "flavors."  One can obtain data from it via an SD card, or WiFi or Cellular.  My doctor chose cellular, so that is what I have.  I just wish there was a way to control the cellular connection, but there isn't.

Before retiring, I dealt with CPAP/APAP issues quite often at work. Only familiar with the card types though, time passes, technology moves on.

You might find your answers on an apnea forum where other users would know your specific device. You didn't state which brand or model you have, but appears several threads about brands and models here.

https://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-CPAP-Machine-Reviews

Thank you to everyone who has shared expertise, ideas and links about how a cellular equipped APAP will (or won't) communicate on a Princess ship.

I think that we can park this specific topic until I have actual onboard experience (soon).  I haven't found anything adequately detailed on the Internet and the DME supplier was only able to provide high level answers.  Nothing I have discovered contradicts what @NavyVeteran posted above.  I will now report back even if the result is "nothing happened."

For the record, I use a BMC/React Health Luna G3 APAP with an LTE cellular module.  No SD card, No WiFi.  Per the DME and the device manual there are no adjustable settings for the cellular module.  If the unit power is on, the cell is on and searching.  If it connects, one gets a typical "bars" display. 

Thanks, again

On 5/9/2024 at 8:41 PM, Cabunit said:

I am a new CPAP user.  We don’t know if I will be on it long term or not, so we don’t want to invest in a travel CPAP yet.  We think we understand how to use one on a ship with one exception.  We have been in the same cabin as on our next cruise, so we know that the nightstand will not hold the CPAP.  What do you do with the device?
A.  Put it on the floor
B.  Can the ship supply a little table?
C.  Bring something alone, like a cardboard box, to set it on.
D.  Other?
Thank you for any suggestions or information.

This is on the Majestic. Regular size Remed CPAP. I've cruised with one since 2014 and it's always fit on the bedside table. I use metallic hooks to hold up my mask after cleaning.

Cpap.png

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 12:40 PM, Cabunit said:

Here is a new question for all of the experts out there:

My APAP has a cellular modem built into it.  It cannot be disabled.  It connects daily to download data.  Does anyone have experience with this sort of a CPAP/APAP?  Do we get charged when it sends data?  How much is charged?  Any idea when this occurs during the day?  How long does it take?  Anything else I should know?

I'm trying to figure out if we just grin and bear the charges (if any) or if we should try to finesse the timing of when it is powered up (to try to use the port cell connections).  The durable medical equipment provider isn't particularly knowledgeable about the cellular details.

Thanks in advance!

I need my data to be downloaded for my yearly FAA medical.My Aircurve 10 will store the data and download it when it can get a signal. We just finished a 40 day cruise and it downloaded in ports when it could. I did have all my data when we arrived home.

• Like 1

Thank you @Yehootu!  It will be interesting to see if my APAP will fit or not.  It's a bit of a 'tank'. 

Your data experience is similar previous posts - so we're assuming it will all work out fine.  We will be reporting back.

Our experience regarding requesting distilled water matches that reported by @azbirdmom.

Using the Cruise Personalizer does nothing.  Using the email address resulted in a prompt reply.

Our TA found the following:

image.thumb.png.1e1391f89ea31191d03817e2efa48df4.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cabunit said:

Using the Cruise Personalizer does nothing.  Using the email address resulted in a prompt reply.

My experience has been completely different. I always use the Cruise Personalizer to request distilled water. It shows up on my Travel Summary, and the water is usually waiting for me when I board.

5 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

My experience has been completely different. I always use the Cruise Personalizer to request distilled water. It shows up on my Travel Summary, and the water is usually waiting for me when I board.

That worked for us on our last 3 cruises, but it hasn’t worked that way on our next one.  We used the Cruise Personalizer to request the distilled water.  Normally we would get a confirmation email that they had received the request and it would appear on the Travel Summary - but not this time.  I will try the email address that was posted when we get closer to the cruise date.

On 6/10/2024 at 3:40 PM, Cabunit said:

Here is a new question for all of the experts out there:

My APAP has a cellular modem built into it.  It cannot be disabled.  It connects daily to download data.  Does anyone have experience with this sort of a CPAP/APAP?  Do we get charged when it sends data?  How much is charged?  Any idea when this occurs during the day?  How long does it take?  Anything else I should know?

I'm trying to figure out if we just grin and bear the charges (if any) or if we should try to finesse the timing of when it is powered up (to try to use the port cell connections).  The durable medical equipment provider isn't particularly knowledgeable about the cellular details.

Thanks in advance!

I have a similar unit...have used it MANY times out of the country on cruises.  It simply will not "report in" until it gets to a cellular system that it "likes".  There is never any type of charge (at least for me.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Yes, I always did that too.  But it stopped working for our last cruise and it's still not working for the one next month either.  I was told that these requests were supposed to move to the Medallion app along with the other "dietary" requests but didn't.  They really need to do something about it because it does look like you've successfully made a request for distilled but then nothing happens.  I've gotten a fairly quick response using the email address and the same info does appear on the travel summary after that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Simply ask your steward for distilled water if your prior request is not honored. 

If all else fails...just use the cabin's tap water. It is essentially distilled.

When there is no access to distilled water at home (it happens), same thing applies. Distilled water is used to prevent a mineral build-up in the chamber. 

If a build-up occurs, use extra vinegar in your cleaning regimen, i.e. 1 parts white vinegar to 3 or 4 parts water.

And remember to get a new chamber as your insurance allows (usually 6 months).

• Like 1

Field Report #1 - Cell Connectivity at Sea

As predicted in earlier posts, the APAP cellular module is not connecting to the ship's cell tower when at sea.  The "bars" icon has a red "X" over it.  So whoever is paying for the cell connection is not paying for the at-sea connection rates.  I will check to see what happens at our first port. 

Field Report #2 - Distilled Water, etc.

Our steward had our requested distilled water in his local storage closet.  When we mentioned it, we had it immediately.  No extension cord was in the cabin, nor was one offered.  Instead he installed a transformer under the side of the bed I sleep on.  It was an Europlug to universal plug.  This left the lamp non-functional.  Since the APAP takes 220, I replaced the transformer with a Schuko multi-plug like the one noted above by @Rick&Jeannie - so we have power to the APAP and the lamp.  Our adapter was also much more secure in the socket than the transformer.  I will report later regarding the nightstand situation. 

15 minutes ago, Cabunit said:

Field Report #2 - Distilled Water, etc.

Our steward had our requested distilled water in his local storage closet.  When we mentioned it, we had it immediately.  No extension cord was in the cabin, nor was one offered.  Instead he installed a transformer under the side of the bed I sleep on.  It was an Europlug to universal plug.  This left the lamp non-functional.  Since the APAP takes 220, I replaced the transformer with a Schuko multi-plug like the one noted above by @Rick&Jeannie - so we have power to the APAP and the lamp.  Our adapter was also much more secure in the socket than the transformer.  I will report later regarding the nightstand situation. 

I always bring my own extension cord

Posted (edited)

Field Report #3 - Nightstand Space

I will start with a thanks to everyone who responded with comments and pictures about the nightstand tops.  As I said previously, my APAP is a bit of a "tank."  IMHO, the most desirable position on the night stand is with the controls facing me.   It would not fit on our nightstand in this position.  The front rubber feet miss the edge by less than half an inch, so it slides off the nightstand towards the bed.  The other positions were all non-starters for one reason or another, although facing the foot of the bed would have worked in a pinch.

However I built a prototype shelf to test on this cruise, so since I had it I decided to put it to the test.  I didn't anticipate that the lamp post would not be in the center of the lamp base, so it binds a little, but it works just fine.  There are certainly other alternatives.  Adding some rubber feet on the bottom of the APAP inside the existing ones might work.  I can see the "couple of paperbacks" idea working fine as well.  I will probably shorten the legs and mill off where it is binding and try using the shelf again on our next cruise. 

image.thumb.png.fe25704bb0db42c6d84d1d8af6cf8cdb.png

image.thumb.png.ea840487308be50c1a7a5c6de0d568c9.png

Edited by Cabunit
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Cabunit said:

Field Report #3 - Nightstand Space

I will start with a thanks to everyone who responded with comments and pictures about the nightstand tops.  As I said previously, my APAP is a bit of a "tank."  IMHO, the most desirable position on the night stand is with the controls facing me.   It would not fit on our nightstand in this position.  The front rubber feet miss the edge by less than half an inch, so it slides off the nightstand towards the bed.  The other positions were all non-starters for one reason or another, although facing the foot of the bed would have worked in a pinch.

However I built a prototype shelf to test on this cruise, so since I had it I decided to put it to the test.  I didn't anticipate that the lamp post would not be in the center of the lamp base, so it binds a little, but it works just fine.  There are certainly other alternatives.  Adding some rubber feet on the bottom of the APAP inside the existing ones might work.  I can see the "couple of paperbacks" idea working fine as well.  I will probably shorten the legs and mill off where it is binding and try using the shelf again on our next cruise. 

Wow...that really is a large unit!  Nice design on the shelf!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

On 5/10/2024 at 7:54 AM, GeorgiaGirl14 said:

I would like to ask another question on this string, if OP doesn't mind.  (I have cruised with CPap and your suggestions seem spot on). We, however, usually drive to ports.  This time we are flying and I have not flown with my CPap.  Any hints on how you pack your CPap and how to get through security with it?  I want it to be sanitary and to be as light weight packing as possible, without having to invest in a travel CPap.  Have any of you used a special travel bag, etc?

@GeorgiaGirl14 I fly with my Cpap regularly.  I carry mine on the plane inside a quilted Vera Bradley backpack.

I have never had an issue ( or even a question) when going through security,  I just put the backpack on the X-ray belt and proceed through security.

Once on the plane the backpack easily fits under the seat in front of me. 

Trust me...TSA has seen thousands of CPAPs come through.  They don't give them a second thought as long as they go through the scanner!  (Both myself & DW fly with CPAPs all the time.)

• Like 1

On 6/23/2024 at 10:11 AM, Cabunit said:

Field Report #1 - Cell Connectivity at Sea

As predicted in earlier posts, the APAP cellular module is not connecting to the ship's cell tower when at sea.  The "bars" icon has a red "X" over it.  So whoever is paying for the cell connection is not paying for the at-sea connection rates.  I will check to see what happens at our first port. 

Field Report #4 - Cell Connectivity in Port

Also as predicted in earlier posts, the APAP cellular module is connecting normally (full bars) in an US port.  On this APAP there is no way to tell if a download occurred, but I assume it did.