Tipping in Iceland

Is the Icelandic krona the appropriate way to tip in Iceland? What per cent tip is the norm for private tour guides and drivers? We’re trying to determine how much $$ to exchange before we sail. TIA! 

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The guides on our ships excursions accepted $5 and $10 bills gratefully. 

In USD?

I had been wondering this, because we have an NCL excursion the moment we get to Iceland, so I won't be able to go to a bank to exchange for ISK.

9 minutes ago, Ellis1138 said:

In USD?

I had been wondering this, because we have an NCL excursion the moment we get to Iceland, so I won't be able to go to a bank to exchange for ISK.

Yes, USD.

• Thanks 1

Tipping is not encouraged in Iceland.  When we tried to tip in a restaurant they ran after us.  That being said, tour guides will accept tips but they are definitely not solicited.  We usually tip in USD and not nearly as much as we would in the US and other developed or less developed countries.  They have the ability to change USD or EUR into ISK.   You do not need ISK for 99.7% of things in Iceland, so we stopped changing money on our last land visit there.  Pretty much everyplace takes plastic or electronic payments.

• Thanks 1

There is really no expectation to tip at all in Iceland (as in the rest of Scandinavia). You're not going to offend anyone by doing so, but in reality it is pretty much only American tourists who tip!

We spent 10 days driving the ring road in Iceland and never needed ISK.  Even hot dog stands took credit cards!  The only tip money we needed was for a “free” walking tour in Reykyavik, and the guide made it clear they welcomed euros, USD, etc.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SueMo said:

We spent 10 days driving the ring road in Iceland and never needed ISK.  Even hot dog stands took credit cards!  The only tip money we needed was for a “free” walking tour in Reykyavik, and the guide made it clear they welcomed euros, USD, etc.

Even for the pay toilets? That's what worries me.

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

most take plastic.  Some have "honor boxes" where you can use ISK, EUR, or USD.

We took advantage of gas station rest rooms.  They are all free if you buy something.  Always a candy bar or a bottle of soda or some local trinket (or fancier) worth buying to make it an easy transaction

Edited by Nitemare
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ellis1138 said:

I honestly don’t recall pay toilets in Iceland.  We usually stopped at gas stations where they were free.  There might have been one at Thingvellir, but I remember everybody holding the doors open for the next “customer”.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SueMo said:

I honestly don’t recall pay toilets in Iceland.  We usually stopped at gas stations where they were free.  There might have been one at Thingvellir, but I remember everybody holding the doors open for the next “customer”.

They weren't pay toilets at Thingvellir when we were there two years ago. I also don't recall any pay toilets in Iceland. We stuck to the tourist sites.

• Like 1