*LIVE* NCL Joy Bermuda 7-nite sailing from NYC in HAVEN-06/16/2024-w/pics

46 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

I enjoyed being whined and dined by you.

23 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

I miss you both so much!

And that's all the mushy stuff you are going to get from me.

I feel a very strong need for a  group hug!!!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2024 at 9:55 AM, Sugar Magnolia said:

I hope you're a good boy and spend the proper amount of time recovering and not hopping around too soon. My last TA of the year will be the Encore with my posse. If I survive through that one I should be set for the Ironman.

Which direction on the Encore? We are doing the Southampton to Miami run. It's our first TA and our first non-Caribbean cruise, so I'm trying to figure out all the details.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Yes, that is the Dec 3rd westbound TA. There is an active Roll Call for that sailing.

Yep. On the roll call, but haven't visited recently. Recently cruise thoughts have been concentrating on our replacement cruise for our February Viva we are going to cancel. It's between Bermuda on the Getaway next summer or another TA on the Breakaway in the fall of 2025. That's a long one -- a cruise around the Med before heading towards NY.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 6:02 PM, cooncat_mom said:

I got one of those emails too and our Joy trip isn't till October! Do they still do an email for the Haven folks with the pillow menu and that stuff? We don't have many requests -at all! We're terrible Haven people! - but I do better with email than with the phone now 👵🏻

I called the number in the letter to change dining reservations (it only let us book online for 5pm but I knew there had to be other times available), and on that call they asked me about all our preferences. Like you, my fam and I suck at being Haven guests. I was like, "We don't care," to pretty much everything she asked about. Point being, call the number in the letter if you want to choose preferences. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Well, graphicguy, you've gone and done it.

Just booked Joy for Sunday! 

Who knew it would be this expensive to read a live review?!!!

I aim to please!

16 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

We aim to spend other people's money.

And, we're good at it! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Screenshot_20240702-144030.thumb.png.69301e5943b39e42eb81a6569dacc1aa.png

Dan, FYI - The Shop is closed !!! 😞 

Could've brought some extra eBags carry-on on fire sale last week as the final clearance prices were dirt cheap and too good to be true, unless Samsonite is going to shut down & retire the brand permanently ... Oh  well, what I suspected is now confirmed. 

Don't see my vast collection of assorted Motherlode series, with lifetime warranty (useless ??) wearing out anytime soon. 

P.S.  Have faith and trust, ask questions, next week on your consult/appointment ... get a 2nd and/or even 3rd opinion if there's even a slight doubt in your mind about going ahead.  Keeping your in my thoughts, yours truly got a # of mid-year appointments coming up too, nothing like yours ... still, running up the insurance claims & out-of-pocket/co-pays with a sizable deductions next year.  

Edited by mking8288

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Screenshot_20240702-144030.thumb.png.69301e5943b39e42eb81a6569dacc1aa.png

Dan, FYI - The Shop is closed !!! 😞 

Could've brought some extra eBags carry-on on fire sale last week as the final clearance prices were dirt cheap and too good to be true, unless Samsonite is going to shut down & retire the brand permanently ... Oh  well, what I suspected is now confirmed. 

Don't see my vast collection of assorted Motherlode series, with lifetime warranty (useless ??) wearing out anytime soon. 

P.S.  Have faith and trust, ask questions, next week on your consult/appointment ... get a 2nd and/or even 3rd opinion if there's even a slight doubt in your mind about going ahead.  Keeping your in my thoughts, yours truly got a # of mid-year appointments coming up too, nothing like yours ... still, running up the insurance claims & out-of-pocket/co-pays with a sizable deductions next year.  

Well...that's unfortunate.  eBags was a great brand.  But, the writing was on the wall when I looked and they were cutting prices to the bone.

And, guess our "lifetime" warranty claims will go unnoticed now.

Thought about stocking up a few weeks ago.  Really didn't have a need and I have WAY more luggage than I really need already.

I hope I'm wrong, but the brick and mortar luggage brands may well be a thing of the past....Samsonite, American Tourister, etc.  I guess the high buck brands have enough margin to sustain.  But, even there, the AWAY brands and those of their ilk have to have taken their toll on the mainstream brands.  Samsonite was too slow moving to begin with.  Sadly, eBags was the first brand I remember to be internet only.  Great products, great prices, well made.  Sounds like Samsonite couldn't corral that business model and shut them down.  

There are some things I really do just literally put my life in someone else's hands.  Surgery is one of those, along with my medical needs.  I won't even pretend to know what it is I should do medically.  My Docs tell me what they think, and I follow their instructions.  It's really that simple.

I know some who follow every weird internet post, rumor, hearsay medical advice they come across.  Don't understand why they do it, but they do.

Me?  Docs tell me what needs to be done.  Only decision I make is when to do them (unless they're an emergency).

I'll be fine.  Little gimpy perhaps, but fine.  May not be able to cruise for a bit, though.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

As always, I wish you well.

Any chance you might be ready to sail over Christmas out of Galveston, Texas on The Escape??

I hope.  Thanks!

Won't know surgery schedule until next week when I get the final prognosis.  Then, I won't know the extent of what they're going to do until they actually do their "surgery" thing and see how much other damage there is.  They (the surgeons, of which I have two) seem to think there may be more damage than just the hip replacement will rectify.  If now, I should be good to go (fingers crossed) by December.  If there's more, February or March may be more realistic...IF (big IF) everything goes right.

Not worried.  Worse comes to worse, I'll become one of those people on a scooter y'all will be yelling at me to get out of the way once I board.  Positive side of that, I'll be boarding before all of you from now on. 😉

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I hope.  Thanks!

Won't know surgery schedule until next week when I get the final prognosis.  Then, I won't know the extent of what they're going to do until they actually do their "surgery" thing and see how much other damage there is.  They (the surgeons, of which I have two) seem to think there may be more damage than just the hip replacement will rectify.  If now, I should be good to go (fingers crossed) by December.  If there's more, February or March may be more realistic...IF (big IF) everything goes right.

Not worried.  Worse comes to worse, I'll become one of those people on a scooter y'all will be yelling at me to get out of the way once I board.  Positive side of that, I'll be boarding before all of you from now on. 😉

As yet stands now, The Aqua is scheduled for late March from Southampton, UK to Boston, MA.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

... Not worried.  Worse comes to worse, I'll become one of those people on a scooter ... boarding before all of you from now on. 

Positivity is key 👍 

Latest set-up for my field command station, scaled down & compact, assorted adapters, to make the travel package as light as possible.  Home office unchanged, Sony Vaio NB switched from Ubuntu V24 LTS to Linux Lite 7.0 LTS XFCE just released ... potential OS for many older PC by Oct 2025 that otherwise will end up as e-Waste in landfills. 

PXL_20240703_145019860.thumb.jpg.723c9fe57678555466925b21099aa1dc.jpg

Collage_2024-07-01_14_44_38.thumb.jpg.f6404ecf2cdae56cdeb46839ec7dbbe4.jpg

Lots of items, fit into 3 to 4 pouches & small cases.  If only I can further simplify to iOS or Android, USB-A and USB-C and leave those Lightening cables.

• Like 1

Hope @graphicguy and @debenson0723 are healthy. After debarking from the Joy, I developed a sore throat and then an occasional cough a few days later. Tested negative twice for COVID so it is just your run-of-the-mill nasty viral infection. Big birthday celebration canceled yesterday due to the cooties. Probably just the universe telling me to slow down and stay put for a while.

Wishing everyone a cheery holiday! 🎉

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Hope @graphicguy and @debenson0723 are healthy. After debarking from the Joy, I developed a sore throat and then an occasional cough a few days later. Tested negative twice for COVID so it is just your run-of-the-mill nasty viral infection. Big birthday celebration canceled yesterday due to the cooties. Probably just the universe telling me to slow down and stay put for a while.

Wishing everyone a cheery holiday! 🎉

Yes, we all need some rest. Even our globe trotting @Sugar Magnolia! Feel better!!

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

... Big birthday celebration canceled yesterday due to the cooties. Probably just the universe telling me to slow down and stay put for a while. Wishing everyone a cheery holiday! 🎉

Yeah, LOL ... it meant, checkmark - have you submitted (digitally, online as it is an available option now) your passport renewal application yet ? since TA will be starting up again before you know it.  

One of my nephew, RN at a busy  Bronx ER recommended that we pack some of these for our trip later next month into the early Fall, just in case - newly approved 3-in-1 DIY home test kit, 5 pack has the best price.  Just not sure if insurance will cover/reimburse or not, will ask my PCP in about 2 weeks when I see him for the semi-annual labs/check-up and e-Script over to Walgreen to see.

iHealth COVID-19, Flu A&B 3-in-1 Antigen Rapid Test

Alas, still got 2 dozens unexpired C19 kits that's good thru early 2025.  Washy Washy 😁 😷 😆

Edited by mking8288

13 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

have you submitted (digitally, online as it is an available option now) your passport renewal application yet ? since TA will be starting up again before you know it.  

When I checked the State Department's website last week, the system was still only allowing a few online applications a day. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones so I had to mail out my renewal application. State received my application on Monday, just in time for it to sit in a pile during a holiday week. I am grounded until State decides whether I am worthy of a passport.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I hope.  Thanks!

Well as long as it doesn't involve a bed pan or sponge bath, I know 2 women who would be willing to help you on board, if necessary. 😉

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

When I checked the State Department's website last week, the system was still only allowing a few online applications a day. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones so I had to mail out my renewal application. State received my application on Monday, just in time for it to sit in a pile during a holiday week. I am grounded until State decides whether I am worthy of a passport.

I hope the State Department doesn't read this site!