Royal Club Hell is back on Quest.

oddjob16

As a diabetic I get really frustrated at times when I am offered Fever tree Light as the only option when I ask for sugar free or Diet tonic for my G&T. Fortunately after a bit of education of the butler or room attendant I can often source good old Schweppes Diet Tonic. I used to snaffle a few diet tonics on the way out from the BA lounge, but they have now gone the Fever Tree route!  There can be occasions when I’m even happy with only available Royal Club Diet tonic if I’m desperate!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Cunard offers both Fever Tree and Fentiman’s regularly so I am surprised to read that Azamara and the other luxury line named above are stingy with these really good tonic brands. Yes, if you like G&T’s the tonic makes a big difference. 

I have a high interest in trying Azamara for some “Intensive” themes voyages; I like the idea of overnights and extended visits in port. However from the beer, wine, and spirits lists I see on the Azamara site, I’m not too impressed with their drinks offerings. Maybe I’m not reading it right or my expectations are too high?
Not a complaint, I’m surprised that Azamara seems not to keep up in that area even to Cunard, with their bigger ships. I would never think of sailing in “suite” level areas of ships bigger than Cunard’s i.e. Yacht Club, Retreat, Haven, etc. so smaller ships like Azamara hold my interest. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, NE John said:

Cunard offers both Fever Tree and Fentiman’s regularly so I am surprised to read that Azamara and the other luxury line named above are stingy with these really good tonic brands. Yes, if you like G&T’s the tonic makes a big difference.....

Indeed, If ¾ of your drink is the mixer, mix with the best....

I think the Az strategy has been to use the worst mixer, and then roll out Schweppes which feels like a serious upgrade.....but is inferior to Fever Tree and Fentimans!

Edited by hamrag

18 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Indeed, If ¾ of your drink is the mixer, mix with the best....

I think the Az strategy has been to use the worst mixer, and then roll out Schweppes which feels like a serious upgrade.....but is inferior to Fever Tree and Fentimans!

There was Fever Tree on our West Africa cruise in Feb/March this year

42 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, but my next ship is same as yours, albeit the cruise after....Onward!

51 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Until it’s consistent it’s not progress sorry 

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

Yes, but my next ship is same as yours, albeit the cruise after....Onward!

Then let’s hope they have it too. Earlier in the year it wasn’t obvious on the bar top, I had to ask if they had it and it then appeared!

• Thanks 2

On 8/17/2024 at 7:55 PM, NE John said:

Cunard offers both Fever Tree and Fentiman’s regularly so I am surprised to read that Azamara and the other luxury line named above are stingy with these really good tonic brands. Yes, if you like G&T’s the tonic makes a big difference. 

I have a high interest in trying Azamara for some “Intensive” themes voyages; I like the idea of overnights and extended visits in port. However from the beer, wine, and spirits lists I see on the Azamara site, I’m not too impressed with their drinks offerings. Maybe I’m not reading it right or my expectations are too high?
Not a complaint, I’m surprised that Azamara seems not to keep up in that area even to Cunard, with their bigger ships. I would never think of sailing in “suite” level areas of ships bigger than Cunard’s i.e. Yacht Club, Retreat, Haven, etc. so smaller ships like Azamara hold my interest. 

The choice of drinks on Azamara is not great. Our experience is that the basic package on Princess and NCL are better, they include bailey's (or similar) and a larger wine selection. We found a couple of wines we liked and stuck with them and were happy. Reasons to choose Azamara are, small ships, great itineraries, good food, relaxed dress code and wonderful customer service on board. For us these, especially the small ship experience, outweigh the limited drink menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Catchum said:

The choice of drinks on Azamara is not great. Our experience is that the basic package on Princess and NCL are better, they include bailey's (or similar) and a larger wine selection. We found a couple of wines we liked and stuck with them and were happy. Reasons to choose Azamara are, small ships, great itineraries, good food, relaxed dress code and wonderful customer service on board. For us these, especially the small ship experience, outweigh the limited drink menu.

Guessing the "basic package" on those lines are extra charge.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Guessing the "basic package" on those lines are extra charge.

Yes NCL is about £200 a week and includes alcohol, 150 minutes wifi, and a speciality dining meal. Princess from memory and it may have changed is £50 a day for  alcohol, unlimited wifi, specially coffee and tips. Both lines provide a mass market experience rather than small ship, at of course significantly less cost (even when the extras are added in) but both have a better wine selection in our experience.

I understand that the lines are not comparable in many respects, but my point was that the basic drinks package on these two lines provides a better selection than the basic package on Azamara which we pay for as part of the total price rather than separately.