Do You Think a 32 Day Cruise to the South Pacific is too Long? Are You Sure?

The third time our toilet stopped working, the plumber asked to see our toilet paper.  He said it was a new shipment and it was clogging up all of the toilets.  We should tell our cabin steward to bring us the old paper.  He did and the toilet never stopped working again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:20 AM, Coral said:

Glad to see your reviews again!

I need to go to your signature as the last review I read of yours was a Princess one.

Hope you enjoy them...I had a lot of fun writing them. I think my last one was on Azamara.

Jack

• Like 2

Enjoyed your entertaining review!

Just now looking at 54 days RT from LA to S Pacific, Australia & NZ in 2026.

Just got DH to try 28 days TA & UK in April...can I get him to do 54?

Especially since he will miss the 1st week of golf leagues??!!

Only time will tell!!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HotRoot said:

The third time our toilet stopped working, the plumber asked to see our toilet paper.  He said it was a new shipment and it was clogging up all of the toilets.  We should tell our cabin steward to bring us the old paper.  He did and the toilet never stopped working again.

Half way through the cruise, we got the soft and fluffy toilet paper too!  A day later, it had been replaced with the old stuff!

We've been looking at that cruise on Sapphire in 2025.  Thirty-two days does sound a bit long, though.  Our longest has been 15 days.  Definitely considering it, though!

On 5/15/2024 at 11:46 AM, SailorJack said:

Although it is spelt “Pago Pago,” it cannot actually be pronounced that way because apparently one cannot pronounce the diphthong “ag” in the Samoan language - you must have a noun between the two letters.

The story I heard a long time ago was that the cartographers mapping the area had a type-writing machine with the "n" key not working, so they just left out the "n".  And that's reason for the different spelling and pronunciation.  There probably are a few more stories out there.  Who knows what's true?

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2024 at 10:57 AM, chamima said:

We would also rather sail for 8 days than fly!!! Sea days are the BEST.

"Amen!" to that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ecs66 said:

We've been looking at that cruise on Sapphire in 2025.  Thirty-two days does sound a bit long, though.  Our longest has been 15 days.  Definitely considering it, though!

We did it when it was 28 days (turned into 29)  I didn't think it was too long though.

On 5/16/2024 at 6:00 AM, Gaynors said:

I was also on this cruise and loved it!!!  22 sea days was definitely not too much!   Would do it again anytime.  We had such calm seas and great weather.   I guess traveling 11,000 nautical miles in one trip or maybe it was you sailor jack took it's toll on the Sapphire Princess... just glad the propulsion issues didn't happen when we were in the middle of the Pacific!

I have heard from several other people regarding the same thing  - glad the propulsion system lasted till LA!😀

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 6:31 AM, Yehootu said:

My wife and I did the 28day South Pacific cruise. We met in Pago Pago on a layover and wanted to return. The hotel we met at was torn down long aga,so we couldn't replay that night as we would've been arrested in a park..Apia was one of our favorite ports. Loved reading your perspective of the 2 Samoa ports. We just finished a B2B 40day Trans Pacific cruise with only 13 days in ports. It was very relaxing. My wife would occasionally have the specialty desert but with only the gelato and nothing else. The chocolate coating on the rim of the glass never melted. Looking forward to the 32day Trans Pacific from Asia coming up.

Sounds great! A very romantic story. I did the special dessert once, but once was enough for me.

We also have a 32 day trip coming up and are looking forward to it.  Quite a few more ports and fewer sea days this time around,

Jack

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Sounds great! A very romantic story. I did the special dessert once, but once was enough for me.

We also have a 32 day trip coming up and are looking forward to it.  Quite a few more ports and fewer sea days this time around,

Jack

Thanks @SailorJack for this entertaining and very interesting review of your cruise.  We've never considered this particular itinerary but your review has us looking at it very seriously.

In 2025, we see that this same itinerary on the Sapphire is offered in both in April and in October.  Do you think the time of year is important for  this cruise, especially weather-wise?  Any other benefits to either of these month options over the other?

Thanks again for a really fun follow-along to your adventures!

Edited by Robkat

On 5/16/2024 at 7:38 AM, gwhitti said:

Yes echoing the above question. Did they skip Tahiti?

We have been on this RT LA South Pacific cruise 3 times. Twice for 28 days on the Emerald and on the 32 day Sapphire. We obviously love this cruise and are looking forward to going again in 2025. We would rather sail for 8 days back to LA than fly any time. People being so different is what makes the world great. 

I agree about the sailing vs flying,  I really don't like the long hours sitting in a plane. I think I already answered the question about Tahiti.😀

Jack

3 hours ago, SailorJack said:

I think I already answered the question about Tahiti.😀

Jack

Thank you Jack for taking the time to answer. I did see your answer to the Tahiti question. The reason it was a concern for us was because a while back we were on the 28 day cruise and when we were in Hawaii we got word that the Samoas were being dropped from the itinerary because of health concerns. We hoped that Tahiti hadn't been dropped from your itinerary for some similar reason. Thank you again for taking the time to help fellow cruisers.

Carolyn

2 hours ago, gwhitti said:

Thank you Jack for taking the time to answer. I did see your answer to the Tahiti question. The reason it was a concern for us was because a while back we were on the 28 day cruise and when we were in Hawaii we got word that the Samoas were being dropped from the itinerary because of health concerns. We hoped that Tahiti hadn't been dropped from your itinerary for some similar reason. Thank you again for taking the time to help fellow cruisers.

Carolyn

Carolyn

We've done this cruise 4 times and it was only on the fourth cruise this last October that we made it to Apia.

First time they were "fixing the dock". Second time there was a measles outbreak and , since none of the Samoans were vaccinated, they didn't want any non-island people coming to complicate things. Third time was right at the beginning  of Covid. I couldn't believe we were finally going to make it there this time but we did. Lovely place and worth the wait.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chamima said:

Carolyn

We've done this cruise 4 times and it was only on the fourth cruise this last October that we made it to Apia.

First time they were "fixing the dock". Second time there was a measles outbreak and , since none of the Samoans were vaccinated, they didn't want any non-island people coming to complicate things. Third time was right at the beginning  of Covid. I couldn't believe we were finally going to make it there this time but we did. Lovely place and worth the wait.

We were on the 11/23 South Pacific cruise also and were able to return to the Robert Louis Stevenson house/museum. We love his story. We were there before in 2018 I believe. It spurred my husband to find, and read nearly everything he wrote. A great way to learn about the South Pacific. 

Edited by gwhitti

On 5/15/2024 at 4:44 PM, Mud_Shark said:

Good read --  

As far as some people bringing on their own toilet paper - well I would normally laugh at that situation.  But Princess has the only toilet paper I have ever seen that actually crinkles when you scrunch it up.  I love cruising - but that toilet paper...

Glad you enjoyed it.  I will leave out any mention of the toilet paper on any review I write of our upcoming cruise on the Majestic.😀

Jack

• Haha 1

On 5/16/2024 at 8:24 AM, Canuker said:

OP: I'd suggest a dialogue with Jill, not a fruitless one on here.

I'm not sure I understood your comment.  Could you elaborate?

Jack

15 minutes ago, SailorJack said:

I'm not sure I understood your comment.  Could you elaborate?

Jack

I don't think Canuker "gets" your sense of humor.

His or her loss.

On 5/16/2024 at 12:05 PM, CruzinNoony said:

So much fun to read another review from Sailor Jack.  It's been way too long!!

Glad you enjoyed it!  It you missed it, my last review from last year is on the Azamara board.

Jack

On 5/16/2024 at 8:26 AM, MustangGT said:

Thanks for the fabulous trip report!  I was so excited when I found out on the roll call that we would be sailing with you both!  I’ve been eagerly awaiting this thread!

We had a great time and, obviously you did too!

Glad you enjoyed it.  Maybe we had a chance meeting at the Meet and Greet?

Jack

3 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Glad you enjoyed it.  Maybe we had a chance meeting at the Meet and Greet?

Jack

I’m not that lucky!  When we got there, Skywalkers was jammed!  We were stuck back in the corner and didn’t get to mingle much.  Hopefully another time!

Thanks for the great read. I don't think I could ever convince DH to do a 30+ day cruise, but if I do, it won't have nearly that sea days in a row.  I know that would likely be the end of my cruising vacations. 🙂

On 5/16/2024 at 7:51 PM, startedwithamouse said:

We think that was Suva we needed to scoot a little for refueling?

We didn't skip Papeete or Moorea.  We didn't skip any ports, and were fortunate the weather was pleasant every day. 

Other random thoughts - the amount of trash taken off the ship in Papeete, sure destined for another port, was huge. 

Our Hawaiian ambassadors couple were so informative, approachable, and really brought the warmth of the islands to our ship. 

We missed having port tees or any cruise specific souvenirs. Although a great many of us left with something that said South America on it!

Did anyone else enjoy the nightly very entertaining couple dancing to Golden Moon in the piazza?  They were posing for photos on the last night with guests.

We had the same thoughts about being safely back in LA before any propulsion issues arose. 

You are right on about the South American stuff.  I still can't believe the price of those coats - $9:00! Of course I live in Arizona and will never have need to wear it, but how could I pass it up!

I was thinking of buying two - one of each color, but Jill wouldn't let me.😀

Jack