Are the Polo Grill and Toscano on Regatta slipping?

I have been watching a series of Youtube video reviews of all the restaurants by a foodie couple who were on Regatta over about 20 April to 25 April. Cruisemapper indicates this would have been a Seattle to Seattle Alaskan cruise.

They seemed quite objective in their reviews and when possible close up shots supported their commentary. The GDR came out well. Not too much that they did not seem to like. Only a few misses. They were very complimentary about the escargot in Polo and Lasagna in Toscano  but critical of a filet mignon overcooked in Polo, and in Toscano, a crumbed veal chop which was cooked very dry and a dover sole which was very obviously cooked to the point that it was dry and looked hard. They were overall not at all impressed with the speciality restaurants.

I would be interested to hear the views of others who were on this cruise.

• Like 1

We were also on the April 20 sailing, which was in fact a Los Angeles / Los Angeles Mexico voyage, also sold as Los Angeles to Vancouver.  We’ve sailed thrice previously on Regatta, all in 2022.

Our comments regarding Polo Grill.  We found it very much the same as our first few sailings, service seemed a bit better, more fully staffed, less crew in quarantine we thought.  As for the food, we ate there twice, the first time I had the prime rib which in my experience is highly variable on land or sea.  Previously I thought the PR on Regatta was the best of my life, this time, just okay.  DW had the filet medium and found it as good as ever.  Second visit I also had the filet, medium rare and found it just about perfect and absolutely cooked as ordered.  So, in our overall view, Polo Grill has not slipped.

As for Toscana, we’ve eaten here on six occasions finding it inferior to the GDR every time.  Therefore, we did t go during the April 20 sailing.  We do intend to give it a go when we sail Vista in January, but likely will not when we return to Regatta in August.

BTW the April 20 sailing was absolutely jammed full, I never got a nose count but Regatta was straining under the very full load.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I was on the April 20 to May 13 LA to Vancouver via Mexico and Alaska cruise.  My 2 friends and I ate a total of 4 times each in Polo and Toscana and found the food delicious and up to usual standards.  I had the rack of Lamb in Polo and veal scaloppine marsala or limone sauce. 

The staff were friendly and efficient as always.  We also enjoyed the Raymond Chardonnay on Simply More.

Francie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I find the term “ inconsistent “ to much better describe the situation. I had an excellent meal, some ok meals, and a poor meal on my last cruise as is typically the case. 

People here often rant about subjectivity. Rare are the issues subjective. If a steak or fish fillet is grotesquely overcooked, then it’s overcooked. If it’s properly cooked, it’s properly ( as ordered) cooked. Not much subjectivity in that unless one loves well done or beyond food. I you get a grisly steak and I get a great one, it’s not subjective, it’s inconsistent! It’s called inconsistency in either the kitchen, wait staff, or both. 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

I think I also saw the YouTube video you describe.  I wouldn't call the people in that video "foodies," but I guess I don't really know what that word means.

• Haha 1

IMHO, the posts about inconsistency are one persons perceptions. The only OPINION that matters is MINE and DW’s. I FIND THAT THERE ARE SOME MEALS I really like and order with regularity. I do not have a need to try every possible item or option on or off the menus, I order what I like. 
I am guessing we have eaten over 1,000 meals on Oceania over the last 15 years and I have NEVER had a bad meal. That said, did a steak arrive under or over cooked, yes. Was a particular dish made too salty for me, yes. Did my Dover Sole have bones, yes. Did my GDR dinner for a table of 6-8 take 2+ hours, yes. Did the 2 Top next to us in Polo or Toscana or Jacques or Red Ginger finish and leave the restaurant before we and our friends had received our entrees, yes. 
Does this mean the food was inconsistent or substandard or bad, NOT in my opinion and again, it’s MINE and DW’s opinions that are the only ones that matter.

First timer/ Newby, CC reader, CC poster, etc, just try it, you might like it 😇👍❤️. I can assure you we are looking forward to our next cruise on Riviera so we can enjoy “The Finest Cuisine at Sea”. We are not Foodies or gourmet eaters, nor do we frequent Michelin Star Restaurants but we do enjoy our dining on Oceania and that is all that matters. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

IMHO, the posts about inconsistency are one persons perceptions. The only OPINION that matters is MINE and DW’s. I FIND THAT THERE ARE SOME MEALS I really like and order with regularity. I do not have a need to try every possible item or option on or off the menus, I order what I like. 
I am guessing we have eaten over 1,000 meals on Oceania over the last 15 years and I have NEVER had a bad meal. That said, did a steak arrive under or over cooked, yes. Was a particular dish made too salty for me, yes. Did my Dover Sole have bones, yes. Did my GDR dinner for a table of 6-8 take 2+ hours, yes. Did the 2 Top next to us in Polo or Toscana or Jacques or Red Ginger finish and leave the restaurant before we and our friends had received our entrees, yes. 
Does this mean the food was inconsistent or substandard or bad, NOT in my opinion and again, it’s MINE and DW’s opinions that are the only ones that matter.

First timer/ Newby, CC reader, CC poster, etc, just try it, you might like it 😇👍❤️. I can assure you we are looking forward to our next cruise on Riviera so we can enjoy “The Finest Cuisine at Sea”. We are not Foodies or gourmet eaters, nor do we frequent Michelin Star Restaurants but we do enjoy our dining on Oceania and that is all that matters. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

I'm not going to try to speak for others but I really AM into food, at home cooking and eating out when traveling. I'll do research all over the world. So when I read others 'reviews' or comments I don't read just one. Unless I happen to know that person's taste is similar to mine. Or not 🙂  Just my never humble opinion 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

A thousand meals and never a bad one ! 

Can I get a lottery number from you or a pick on the the Preakness? 😂

• Haha 2

I did say “Bad”. Sorry, I have never won the Lottery nor picked a Horserace Winner so I am not a source for you to seek out advice. I am equally certain that in all those meals, there has been someone who was dining who could have complaints or negative opinions. Everyone is entitled to “Theirs”. 
Mauibabes

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sailed on the Regatta in April.  We ate at Toscana once. We did not like our food. We canceled our other Toscana reservations. The pasta was mushy and the entrees overcooked. There was nothing special about it in anyway, except bringing a cart of different oil and vinegars.  Polo grill was better, but still not much in the way of anything special.  The GDR was usually better with many more choices.  The specialty restaurants have the same menu throughout the cruise.  

The terrace cafe was also good, although with many very rough sea days, and some mobility issues prevented me from the hassle of eating there many nights. Carrying plates, walking from station to station etc.

Edited by judi666

16 minutes ago, judi666 said:

Sailed on the Regatta in April.  We ate at Toscana once. We did not like our food. We canceled our other Toscana reservations. The pasta was mushy and the entrees overcooked. There was nothing special about it in anyway, except bringing a cart of different oil and vinegars.  Polo grill was better, but still not much in the way of anything special.  The GDR was usually better with many more choices.  The specialty restaurants have the same menu throughout the cruise.  

The terrace cafe was also good, although with many very rough sea days, and some mobility issues prevented me from the hassle of eating there many nights. Carrying plates, walking from station to station etc.

In the future, know that the servers in TC are more than willing to accompany you and carry your plate, etc.  They even are happy to go and grab something from the stations and bring to you.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, basor said:

In the future, know that the servers in TC are more than willing to accompany you and carry your plate, etc.  They even are happy to go and grab something from the stations and bring to you.

I understand that. It was much more about the really rough seas. They could have carried my plate, but I still had to move around and see what was available. I was simply not that comfortable with the situation and feel like I might fall. It was much easier to just go to the GDR. The service was always good in any venue. Zero complaints

1 hour ago, judi666 said:

I've been meaning to ask, is the pasta made fresh?

I've found the menus to be quite extensive. And let's face it, a "steakhouse" menu is going to be pretty lopsided 🙂

Every restaurant serves fresh pasta at every meal, it does not matter where.  Judi, sorry you did not enjoy Toscana because it really is an excellent restaurant but I am sure they can have off night(s). We found that not all Toscana Chef’s are Italian and sometimes it can make a difference. DW loves the Lasagne, eats it as an Appetizer or Main depending of her appetite or what have done during the day. 
We are looking forward to dining in Toscana on Riviera later in the year. 
Mauibabes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, judi666 said:

The specialty restaurants have the same menu throughout the cruise.  

Actually, with very minimal changes the menus haven't changed much in 20 years. That's by design. I can't imagine even on an R ship, that I would run out of choices I like if I ate there 2 or 3 times in a 20 day cruise. 

I was on the cruise after yours and ate in Polo twice, enjoyed both times. But we all like different things. 

It sounds like for various reasons Oceania wasn't a fit for you. I've noticed when this or that goes wrong, or doesn't suit me, it can color my whole experience. 

• Like 4

I never said I didn’t like Polo.  I don’t eat meat

and there were still plenty of choices.  We were on 21 days and I could see the menu never changed in the specialty restaurants.

The two absolutely worst meals of the whole cruise were the two we had in Toscana.  

We liked the GDR.  I really cannot complain about the meals in general.  I ate many times at the Waves grill and enjoyed that as well.

It would seem there are many more choices on the bigger ships, but they do a good job on 

the R ships. 

8 hours ago, ORV said:

Actually, with very minimal changes the menus haven't changed much in 20 years. That's by design. I can't imagine even on an R ship, that I would run out of choices I like if I ate there 2 or 3 times in a 20 day cruise. 

I was on the cruise after yours and ate in Polo twice, enjoyed both times. But we all like different things. 

It sounds like for various reasons Oceania wasn't a fit for you. I've noticed when this or that goes wrong, or doesn't suit me, it can color my whole experience. 

I agree about the menus. Huge selection. And what more can you ask for at a "steakhouse."

• Like 1

I was on Regatta earlier this month for a week. My experience is below, but this is so obviously an issue that will vary from person to person and cruise to cruise, there's hundreds of people on board and they can't possibly get everything exactly right and exactly the same for everybody all the time.

And some people are more fussy than others, which is probably the biggest variable.

Chicken Kiev in the grand dining room one night was so overdone it was practically inedible. Otherwise the grand dining room was quite pleasant. And I bet some other people that night had some delicious Chicken Kiev but clearly not everybody.

Our meal in Polo was perfect and possibly the second best steak I've ever had.

Toscana was a nicer restaurant environment than Polo but we thought the food was not quite as good, though the lasagna was very delicious, and an excellent appetizer to share, but a whole dish of that and I don't think I would eat another thing for a day.

--Julian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NeedToChill said:

And some people are more fussy than others, which is probably the biggest variable.

Great comments here...except 🙂 I'd prefer a word other than "fussy." Don't even like "picky" although both can describe certain people. I'm really kinda 'into food'. Love to cook at home and go out. I've almost never returned a dish - except an overcooked egg 🙂 - but I have a good bit of history to compare lots of dishes to.   I wonder what I'll think of their lasagna 🙂

lasagnapasta.jpg

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Great comments here...except 🙂 I'd prefer a word other than "fussy." Don't even like "picky" although both can describe certain people. I'm really kinda 'into food'. Love to cook at home and go out. I've almost never returned a dish - except an overcooked egg 🙂 - but I have a good bit of history to compare lots of dishes to.   I wonder what I'll think of their lasagna 🙂

lasagnapasta.jpg

Persnickety?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

Persnickety?? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Most of the people that I personally know that describe themselves as a picky or fussy eater would more accurately be described as having a child's palate. Many times I've seen orders of grilled cheese, plain chicken breast, french fries, chips & cheese dip. These are a main order by over age 60 adults. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

lasagnapasta.jpg

I thought you'd been on Oceania before?

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Most of the people that I personally know that describe themselves as a picky or fussy eater would more accurately be described as having a child's palate. Many times I've seen orders of grilled cheese, plain chicken breast, french fries, chips & cheese dip. These are a main order by over age 60 adults. 

The day I gave up worrying about picky eaters was when I brought a decadent chicken dish over to a friends' house. I knew one of them was picky so I checked the ingredients ahead of time. When I arrived, she took one look at it and said, " I don't eat small chicken pieces (~cubes), just whole chicken." Aaaaarrrgh!