The Key or not to Key

I will be on a 3-night cruise solo.  Am a senior who can't really stand for long or walk long distances. Is the MDR open on embarkation for lunch, and breakfast on the last day?  Have been thinking about getting The Key just so I can avoid the long lines/crowds on first day/last at Windjammer, etc.  The Key would provide both.  Thanks for any input!

I had the key on my last cruise. No lines to dine in the dining room and the lunch was great! Filet mignon was one of the choices and was like in a specialty restaurant. Also had steak and eggs for breakfast the last day. I liked that the key also covered internet. It was also great that you drop your bags or carry ons at a location right after you board the ship and they are taken to your room so you don't have to carry them around until you could get into your room. Also an expedited check in and food and drink in the cruise port prior to boarding.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The Key is pretty expensive considering what you get from it (especially if you wouldn't otherwise buy the internet package).  If I were in your shoes and wanted it mainly to avoid standing at embarkation, instead I'd email special_needs@rccl.com and let them know you need help on Day 1.  That will cost nothing.  

No, the MDR will not be open on Embarkation Day.  Why?  The wait-staff is deployed other places:  delivering luggage and manning the muster stations.  

Yes, the MDR will be open on Disembarkation Day.  They have the same menu every day, and you can count on being in and out in about 30 minutes.  Since we face an 8-hour drive after disembarkation, we always try to be among the first to leave the ship.  Windjammer is not crowded at all on the last day.  Everyone seems to be trying to eat and get out fast.  Depending upon the ship you're sailing, you may have breakfast options at El Loco Fresh, Park Cafe, Johnny Rockets or Solarium Bistro -- fewer people will be using those smaller options.  

We always board in the earliest group.  We tend to walk around a short bit, then go to the Windjammer -- it's not packed when we arrive.  It may be important to note that we only sail in the fall, which is a less crowded time, but -- it seems to me -- the complaints about Windjammer on Day 1 are overblown.  You may not get a prime window seat, but you'll get a place.  If you, a solo cruiser, need help with your carry on + your lunch, ask a crew member -- they'll get you a spot and help with your carry on.

Consider, too, that you'll have other smaller venues (Promenade Cafe, Sorrento's Pizza, El Loco Fresh) depending upon the ship you're sailing.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

If those are the only two items of significant interest to you, then I’d say don’t buy the Key.  Instead, book lunch at a specialty restaurant on embarkation day (a nice experience for less money than the Key).  The MDR is open for breakfast on debarkation morning.

If other Key benefits also quite valuable to you, my opinion might be different.  Also the price of the Key varies.  Obviously it is much more tempting to buy the Key when the price is lower.  How much per day?  What ship?  Have you considered renting a scooter, especially it is a large ship?

We typically will buy the Key when the price is at/close to the internet cost. Getting onboard early, dropping off our carryons and having a relaxing lunch has value for us. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bahbey said:

Am a senior who can't really stand for long or walk long distances.

Get to the pier after the rush (have lunch some place on land away from the port), typically after 1PM, and do the same on debarkation day (after 9AM). Skip the Key.

5 minutes ago, CruiseIreland said:

Isn't there an embarkation lunch in the MDR for Key purchasers?

The embarkation lunch for Key guests is typically held in the MDR.  Some ships also offer a special lunch for back to back guests; that may be in the MDR as well.  However, on embarkation day the MDR is not open for lunch for all guests.

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, the MDR will not be open on Embarkation Day.

We have had the Key many times. The main dining room IS open on embarkation day for Key holders....that is where the (Chops) Key lunch is held. The menu on disembarkation morning is also a special one for Key holders.

We love having the Key and it's always been worth it to us: internet, priority seating area in the terminal and priority embarkation, Key lunch, carry on luggage taken to our cabin for us, reserved seating in shows, priority tender access going ashore (a huge benefit on our Greenland cruise when the lines were so long for those wanting to go ashore), priority disembarkation.

• Like 1

I had the key on my April Grandeur. It was only a little more expensive than the internet and I was solo. There was a small fruit plate in the room. The lunch was great, luggage drop off was great, breakfast was great, but the best was the debarkation. Skipping the line was priceless. For the right price I would do it again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Instead, book lunch at a specialty restaurant on embarkation day (a nice experience for less money than the Key).  

That's a good idea, given the OP's needs.

35 minutes ago, Chrislynn55 said:

We have had the Key many times. The main dining room IS open on embarkation day for Key holders....that is where the (Chops) Key lunch is held. The menu on disembarkation morning is also a special one for Key holders.

We love having the Key and it's always been worth it to us: internet, priority seating area in the terminal and priority embarkation, Key lunch, carry on luggage taken to our cabin for us, reserved seating in shows, priority tender access going ashore (a huge benefit on our Greenland cruise when the lines were so long for those wanting to go ashore), priority disembarkation.

Think through whether each of these would mean anything to you or not.  Most of my answers are no: 

- Internet: Would you buy an internet package without The Key?  We don't buy it. 

- Priority seating: This isn't policed.  Anyone can sit in The Key's chairs at shows. 

- Key lunch: We enjoy going to Windjammer first thing, but this might be good for the OP's needs.

- Carry on luggage: Nope.  If I care enough to carry items onboard (medicine, jewelry, electronics), I'm not going to drop them off in the MDR and trust a stranger to get them to my room.

- Priority tender: Few islands use tenders.  For a 3-day cruise, the OP is probably going to the Bahamas, which don't require tenderes. 

- Priority disembarkation: Eh, we always try to leave quickly because we have a long drive ahead of us, and we're always in our car by 7:30.  I don't see much value here. 

The bottom line is, the OP should determine how many of these would be valuable to him or her.  

Thank you all for your responses!  I think that I'm going to skip The Key and take some of y'alls advice re boarding, etc.   Fair Winds And Following Seas!

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We always board in the earliest group.  We tend to walk around a short bit, then go to the Windjammer -- it's not packed when we arrive.  It may be important to note that we only sail in the fall, which is a less crowded time, but -- it seems to me -- the complaints about Windjammer on Day 1 are overblown

Couldn’t agree more. We do the same thing & the WJ isn’t packed when it first opens even during spring break or summer. People are still boarding, wandering, figuring out where they’re going, taking care of other issues, etc.

To be clear, this was more of tangent, not suggesting that’s the best option for the OP. I think specialty lunch is a good idea if they were willing to spend $ on The Key.

• Like 1

Thinking of purchasing The Key for our upcoming Utopia cruise.  

We were going to purchase an internet package anyway so watching prices.  We have a $300 OBC so we could use it for that.

19 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

My family and I don't usually get The Key.  We are Diamond members and most of the benefits are free to us as Diamonds.

Huh? Aside from this not being very helpful, it's also inaccurate.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

My family and I don't usually get The Key.  We are Diamond members and most of the benefits are free to us as Diamonds.

Really?

Here's the list of The Key benefits:

• Priority access during The Key designated arrival time (to be communicated via email). Other benefits may apply at specific ports.*
  • Carry-on bag drop off with delivery to your stateroom. **
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key signature menu.***
  • Access to the fast lane at onboard activities (activities vary by ship)and private time at the Flowrider*.
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • Dedicated seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70.****
  • VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 of Device high speed internet per person who purchases the package.
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive á la carte breakfast and choice departure.

Diamond gets most of these?  I don't think so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Huh? Aside from this not being very helpful, it's also inaccurate.

Actually it is accurate.  We did an exact comparison to getting The Key when debating whether or not to get it a few cruises back.  Found out that most of the benefits we would use for The Key were already included in our benefits.

• Haha 5

Just now, broadwaybaby123 said:

Actually it is accurate.  We did an exact comparison to getting The Key when debating whether or not to get it a few cruises back.  Found out that most of the benefits we would use for The Key were already included in our benefits.

See post #18.

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I did and I still stand by what I said.

Please show us where diamond gets any of these benefits.

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

Really?

Here's the list of The Key benefits:

• Priority access during The Key designated arrival time (to be communicated via email). Other benefits may apply at specific ports.*
  • All diamond level get to board the ship first?
  • Carry-on bag drop off with delivery to your stateroom. **
  • Where do you drop all of your carryon bags, so they will be delivered to your room?
  • Exclusive welcome lunch in the Main Dining Room featuring The Key signature menu.***
  • Dimond gets access to this lunch?
  • Access to the fast lane at onboard activities (activities vary by ship)and private time at the Flowrider*.
  • ???
  • Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
  • There's a diamond lin for tenders?
  • Dedicated seating at shows in the Main Theater, Aqua Theater, Studio B, and Two70.****
  • Separate seating area for Diamond?
  • VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 of Device high speed internet per person who purchases the package.
  • Internet package for the entire cruise?
  • On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive á la carte breakfast and choice departure.
  • Also this?

Diamond gets most of these?  I don't think so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hutcha said:

Please show us where diamond gets any of these benefits.

Actually, we DO get a private departure lounge.

We don't use a lot of carry on luggage so that doesn't apply.

Tenders may not apply to us.

We don't use Internet the entire cruise, so buying an Internet package for us isn't worth the money. It may be to someone who has different circumstances.

We enjoy the Key and usually get it.  We want internet and wifi calling.  Our last cruise there was an added benefit.  Key West was our last port and everyone had to go through immigration on the ship.  Once you got your sea pass punched you could go ashore.  We showed up at our designated spot and were immediately taken to immigration.  People with excursions were next.  Then all the other people had to gather in different areas and wait until their numbers were called.  We put our passports back in our safe and were one of the first off the ship. 

The last day we had a lovely quiet breakfast and were on our way before any numbers had even been called.  We have way too much luggage to ever do self assist.

• Like 2

We have done the Key a number of times, we mostly only consider it when the daily price is equivalent to the daily internet cost and definitely at or below $20.  For us we do enjoy some of the other perks but you really have to weigh all its potential advantages to its cost based on a particular cruise. When cruising on Odyssey of the Seas trans-atlantic in 2022 we arrived in Fort Lauderdale and the crew had to report to immigration.  Things were a little chaotic as everything became short handed including moving luggage into the terminal.  The ship kept emptying passengers into the upper level of the terminal where we were all held for over an hour until we were allowed downstairs to retrieve our arriving luggage. Suites, Pinnacles and Key’s were allowed to proceed through immediately as their luggage was prioritized.

Unfortunately we didn’t purchase the Key that time. Probably an isolated incident but it did happen.