Cancellation due to death before sailing

Does anyone know how NCL handles a situation where one of the booked guests dies before the sail date?

I have 3rd party insurance, but my question is more about if NCL has any provision for not changing a fee due to death.  I'm hoping they would at least give the full sailing price as FCC.

11 minutes ago, Scoundrel2 said:

Does anyone know how NCL handles a situation where one of the booked guests dies before the sail date?

I have 3rd party insurance, but my question is more about if NCL has any provision for not changing a fee due to death.  I'm hoping they would at least give the full sailing price as FCC.

I can only assume you are asking due to an unfortunate passing...my condolences.

If you are after final payment, but outside 48hrs of the cruise, you should contact NCL and alert them of cancelation. 

This would be the process if you were cancelling for any reason at all.

You will be refunded (to the original form of payment) the Taxes and Port Fees, along with any "extras" you purchased such as excursions, spa passes, and even pre-paid daily service charges.  

Unfortunately, the actual cabin fare will fall under the  current "cancellation policy" window. 

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

For example, if you are inside 30 days, then NCL will not re-imburse any part of the cabin fare.

Whatever is not re-imbursed will need to be filed with your insurance.

21 minutes ago, Scoundrel2 said:

If you got the FCC, it would be double dipping to then get a refund from your travel insurance.  But it seems highly unlikely travel insurance wouldn't cover a death, so I think at least as far as the finances with the trip are concerned you are in good shape.  So sorry for your loss.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoundrel2 said:

If you want the definitive answer on what  NCL will do, call NCL.  You'll have to call them anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scoundrel2 said:

Deepest sympathy on your loss. There are no provisions for death of a booked passenger. It happens all the time. Cancel your cruise. NCL will refund non-cruise fare costs. 

File your insurance claim for a refund of your cruise fare in accordance with the policy you purchased. Be very careful on what you say to the insurance company because if the claim is the result of a pre-existing condition, or could be consider to be caused by a pre-existing condition, the claim may be denied. Have someone help you answer the insurance questions directly... now is not the time to run on about the life history of the deceased. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the condolences and advice.

I'm actually thinking of going on the cruise in honor of my wife, as this is something she truly wanted to do. 

Hopefully my daughter will want to join me, so I hope NCL would be fine changing passenger names. 

• Like 3

First off, I am extremely sorry for your loss.  I would highly advise calling NCL to inform them of the situation, that you woudl like to cancel the cruise, and ask them what your options are.  If they say that a cabin cost refund is not possible maybe ask about a FCC.  In any event remember to be polite to the peron on the oterh end,  They will reciprocate and do the best they can ti help you.

Again I am very sorry to hear of your loss.  I o hope that you will be able to cruise some day and have a wonderful time.

If you feel up to it, then go on the cruise.  That's what I did.  My husband passed away a few months before his annual birthday cruise.  I thought about cancelling, but my daughter said she'd go with me (the name change was very easy to do).  We had a nice, though at times bittersweet, cruise and told a lot of "Dad" stories and toasted him on his birthday.  Looking back I'm glad we decided to go on the cruise.

So sorry for your loss and wishing you the best whatever you decide to do.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Scoundrel2 said:

I'm actually thinking of going on the cruise in honor of my wife, as this is something she truly wanted to do. 

Hopefully my daughter will want to join me, so I hope NCL would be fine changing passenger names. 

So very sorry for your loss.  Condolences. 

But, I hope your daughter is able to join you.  That would be a nice way to celebrate your wife's life as you could reminisce together on the cruise.

As others have said, you're going to have to contact NCL anyway.  I think you can change passengers (not certain, though).  IIRC, only the original booking name needs to remain the same.  It also depends on how far to you are from sailing.

18 hours ago, Scoundrel2 said:

Condolences to you and your family

This could be a great way to honor your wife and enjoy time with your daughter. A very similar thing happened with a friend of mine