Civitavecchia or Tarquinia

Nolala

We are arriving FCO for four nights pre cruise. We’ve visited & stayed in Rome many times but now want to visit & experience other areas within a 2-3 hour train/bus ride from the Civitavecchia area.  Any suggestions on staying in Tarquinia (since I found a nice b&b there) or should we just stay in Civitavecchia?  Are rail, buses, restaurants, etc. just as available in Tarquinia as Civitavecchia?  Any help & suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I book accommodations.  Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Tarquinia, at least the historic center, is up in the mountains and not served by trains.  The train station called Tarquinia is down in the valley, from there you'd need a bus or taxi up into the center.

Please don't waste your time in Civitavecchia.  It's a perfectly serviceable port and suburb, but not very interesting.

Pisa is two hours away on a Frecce train.  The town itself has a lot to offer beyond the tower, cathedral, baptistry and museum.  It's also a big university town with a lot going on in the center.  It's also a nice point from which to visit Lucca, a lovely walled town in Tuscany about a half hour away by train.

Home | Comune di Pisa - Turismo

Edited by euro cruiser

At the risk of getting flamed, we have never been overly impressed with Tarquinia, as a base.  Yes, it is an OK town to visit for a few hours, but way down our list.  We completely agree with Euro Cruiser's comments about Civitavecchia (think of it as a port town without a lot of charm).  Personally, we would have no problem spending a few more days in Rome (been there many times) as it's a large city with lots of depth beyond the usual tourist places.  There are also some terrific day trips from Rome such as Tivoli or Orvieto.  

Euro Cruiser and I can agree to disagree on Pisa (not a favorite place of ours).  Towns like Lucca, Volterra, and San Gimignano are places we really enjoy, but they are not very convenient to Civitavecchia.  That part of Tuscany (one of our favorite areas in Italy) is most conveniently explored if one has a rental car.  For those of us comfortable with driving in Italy/Europe, we would suggest renting a car at FCO (the rental car agencies are located in the parking garages) and driving to Tuscany for a few days (one can stay in or near Florence, San Gimignano, Lucca, etc).  On the day of the cruise, you then drive to Civitavecchia and drop the car (several of the major rental car companies are fine with one-way rentals).  For car rentals of 3 or more days, it often pays to check with Autoeurope or Kemwel (sister companies located in the USA) who serve as rental car consolidators (discounters) for several major rental companies (i.e. Europcar, Hertz, Avis, etc).

Speaking of renting cars in Europe, we just returned from Milan (on Sunday) after dropping a rental car we picked up 11 days earlier in Trieste.  During our little driving trip (thought parts of Slovenia and Austria) we met several fellow Americans who were traveling via train.  They all complained about the hassles of dealing with luggage in train stations and on the trains.  As seniors who struggle with all our luggage (we do not know how to pack light) we love the convenience of having a car, not just for the flexibility, but also for dealing with luggage.  Of course, one should always seek to rent a car that is capable of hiding all one's luggage out of sight (on our recent trip a Fiat 500 served us well).

Hank

• Like 1

At the risk of being accused of hijacking this thread (don't mean to!) I was looking at options for a day trip from Civitavecchia since our cruise in August returns there a day earlier and since we're pre-cruising in Rome we didn't want to go back there that day since we'll be returning to FCO the next day.  The day trips I found from Civitavecchia are to Tarquinia including the Underground City of Etruscopolis, or to Tuscany, or to Orvieta. Comparing Tarquina to Orvieta for a day trip, which do you recommend?

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

At the risk of getting flamed, we have never been overly impressed with Tarquinia, as a base.  Yes, it is an OK town to visit for a few hours, but way down our list. 

I'm certainly not flaming our esteemed and knowledgeable contributor, Mr. Hank, but may I offer an alternative view on Tarquinia?  On our last departure from Civitavecchia we did stay a few nights in Tarquinia to get over our jet lag.  We relaxed and enjoyed it.  We stayed at "I Tre Camini" which made a big difference.  Federica, the owner, met us at the train station and later drove us to the port - a 20 minute ride which, with baggage, was a real bonus and we never needed a taxi.  Depending on time of day, we would stop for a cappucino or spritz and we had a splendid lunch at 'Il Cavatappi'.  There are lots of other restaurants to chose from.  In the end, of course, it's your decision.

17 minutes ago, Fairgarth said:

I'm certainly not flaming our esteemed and knowledgeable contributor, Mr. Hank, but may I offer an alternative view on Tarquinia?  On our last departure from Civitavecchia we did stay a few nights in Tarquinia to get over our jet lag.  We relaxed and enjoyed it.  We stayed at "I Tre Camini" which made a big difference.  Federica, the owner, met us at the train station and later drove us to the port - a 20 minute ride which, with baggage, was a real bonus and we never needed a taxi.  Depending on time of day, we would stop for a cappucino or spritz and we had a splendid lunch at 'Il Cavatappi'.  There are lots of other restaurants to chose from.  In the end, of course, it's your decision.

Over the past few decades. we have stayed in various places in the region, pre-cruise.  Our least popular option is to stay in Civitavecchia, which we have done a couple of times when we wanted to drop our rental car the day before a cruise.  Our preference is to stay in Rome which is a city that we we always enjoy.  Another option (that we think is a better alternative to Tarquinia) is to stay in the seaside resort town of Fiumcino (located near the airport) or one of the other nearby resort towns.  Fiumcino has many restaurants including some excellent seafood places.  And it is well-located for folks that want to visit the ruins at Ostia Antica.  

We have been to Tarquinia (to visit the Etruscan sites) and, although we appreciated the historic significance, found the mounds/ruins somewhat disappointing.  It is certainly a place we suggest folks visit....once!

Hank

Thanks to all who responded.  

Now I’ve got a decision to make and your suggestions will certainly help me along.  Thanks again !!!

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have been to Tarquinia (to visit the Etruscan sites) and, although we appreciated the historic significance, found the mounds/ruins somewhat disappointing.  It is certainly a place we suggest folks visit....once!

How long ago did you go, Hank?  I ask because in recent years they have opened up almost all of the tombs in the necropolis outside Tarquinia. There is also Cerveteri (sp?) and another very interesting necropolis just outside Orvieto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

How long ago did you go, Hank?  I ask because in recent years they have opened up almost all of the tombs in the necropolis outside Tarquinia. There is also Cerveteri (sp?) and another very interesting necropolis just outside Orvieto.

More than 10 years ago,  We would not have visited any newly opened tombs.  We would have no problem going back for another visit but would do it as a simple day trip when staying in the area.   We do like Orvieto and the surrounding region.  A few years ago, we spent a night at an Agritourismo near Orvieto and enjoyed the experience.  DW's memory of that night is a bit different than mine.  She recalls one of the other couples (the Agritourismo had a group dinner experience) who was a middle eastern Prince (married) traveling, incognito, with a girlfriend.  We both know, that with DIY travel, there are times you meet some fascinating folks.

Hank

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another option is Viterbo,  an interesting town and close to the Villa  Lante and the Bomarzo monster gardens.  As well as the beautiful pentagonal  Palazzo Farnese,  The map room is spectacular and we love the local chicken stuffed with potatoes and olives.  One time there was a lovely music festival on as well.  

We also enjoy Orvieto as well as Pitigliano,  so lots of options particularly if you don’t mind driving.  

Tarquinia is an easy bus ride from Civitavecchia, the museum is outstanding.  I think it would be fine for a night. 

Edited by bennybear