NCL Oceania Regent Loyalty Programs to be Consolidated

3 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Our last 3 cruises have been with Regent. We have also sailed with Viking, Oceania, Celebrity, etc. This morning we received an email from Celebrity announcing their new initiative that will provide credit with both the Royal and Silversea Programs. A photo of the chart is below.

IMG_5599.png

Since I am Elite+ on Celebrity, that now makes Silversea perhaps more attractive.  However that also shows me how that might make the regular Silversea cruisers not as pleased.  Since both Silversea and Regent have small ships, the cabin availability will be diminished for regulars. It really only benefits the move up cruiser.

If the ships sail with full occupancy, how does that help the regular luxury cruiser being able to grab a booking or at a lower price unless it's when itineraries are first released?  Obviously the cruise line will like the results because they can raise rates more quickly as the airlines are doing without more seats/cabins being available. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Today’s WSJ has an article about Norwegian cutting costs both this year and in the future. They have evidently identified $100 million in immediate cuts and are working on $200 million in additional cuts. They are trying to pay down the outstanding debt on the books of the company. The Company also states that there will be “No Sacred Cows”.

Good - this is exactly what they should be doing. Their fist obligation is to their stockholders and, cuts notwithstanding, their occupancy levels are at all time highs.

• Like 2

Royal Caribbean announced reciprocal for their 3 brands today, RC, Celebrity, and SilverSea.  Perhaps NCL is waiting to see how it shakes out for them.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Our last 3 cruises have been with Regent. We have also sailed with Viking, Oceania, Celebrity, etc. This morning we received an email from Celebrity announcing their new initiative that will provide credit with both the Royal and Silversea Programs. A photo of the chart is below.

IMG_5599.png

I'm Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean. I looked at Silver Seas program and 350 VS Days gets a free 7 night cruise.  So do I get a free cruise on Silver Seas?  

Never mind...just read the fine print...NOPE...DARN!!!! 😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I'm Diamond Plus on Royal Caribbean. I looked at Silver Seas program and 350 VS Days gets a free 7 night cruise.  So do I get a free cruise on Silver Seas?  

But you will get free laundry ..yippee. Oh wait you already get it on Regent. I 

think it is a smart move though. When we ‘graduated’ from rccl/celebrity once DD was in University , we moved to Regent and then Crystal but if SSea was already in the rccl stable who knows whether we would have moved to them. 

• Like 1

Laundry, pressing, and "dry" cleaning is easy to offer.  Discounts on fares eventually equalize out.  Priority tendering and dining reservations get harder; if everyone is a VIP then no one is a VIP and paying customers who don't have "status" start to have a diminished experience.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We're Elite+ on Celebrity and I asked the same question on the Celebrity boards.

(I knew it was a "no" before I asked but I thought it was funny.)

We've had it with the crowds on the bigger lines and are trying Regent now but maybe we'll look at Silversea in the future.

I do think that combining the loyalty programs dilutes the benefits for the smaller, high end lines though.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 3

On 5/27/2024 at 3:07 PM, ChucktownSteve said:

Sometimes I get up at that time.  Other times 4am (rofl) if I'm on my regular time.  But  I always have. It started when I was working.  Ever try to get good coffee at 4am on a cruise ship?  Our coffee pot at home always starts brewing at 4am.

Okay, so normal wake time is 4 am, so I am certainly NOT up at 3 am!  When on a cruise, I get to sleep in until 6, so I can stretch my bedtime until 10 (maybe 11 if the entertainment is hopping!)

Regarding this topic, though, I would be happy to have more perks on Regent (or O!) based on my NCL status....we have been moving towards O and Regent for the past few years, but still want the option of NCL for cruising with grandkids!  (completed 1 cruise on O and R, pending 1 on each next year).  'Course now I am also looking at Silversea, since I can status match with Royal and X.  Gotta love options!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2024 at 3:03 AM, Steve Q said:

IMG_5599.png

Got the same email and was just about to post a similar update.

10 hours ago, chamima said:

I do think that combining the loyalty programs dilutes the benefits for the smaller, high end lines though.

I don't really see how.  On RCCL or Celebrity one of the "big" perks of Elite or D+ is lounge access and free drinks.  That has created a huge overcrowding problem, especially on Royal Caribbean.  That isn't a problem on Regent as there is no higher tier lounge, etc.  So I don't really see how someone coming to Regent from Oceania or NCL makes much difference. Just another passenger with perks that don't personally affect me. 

On 5/30/2024 at 4:24 PM, Pcardad said:

Good - this is exactly what they should be doing. Their fist obligation is to their stockholders and, cuts notwithstanding, their occupancy levels are at all time highs.

Agree in general about the net benefits of capitalism, but aren’t you concerned that NCL’s cuts will reduce Regent’s differentiation in the marketplace, and thus the premium Regent can charge? I see forum threads about Regent vs. Explora and Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection, and it makes me wonder whether we’ll be migrating to those lines because of cuts to Regent’s service and amenities.

BTW the WSJ article is here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/norwegian-cruise-line-looks-to-cut-costs-and-debtno-sacred-cows-738ed418

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Agree in general about the net benefits of capitalism, but aren’t you concerned that NCL’s cuts will reduce Regent’s differentiation in the marketplace, and thus the premium Regent can charge? I see forum threads about Regent vs. Explora and Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection, and it makes me wonder whether we’ll be migrating to those lines because of cuts to Regent’s service and amenities.

BTW the WSJ article is here: https://www.wsj.com/articles/norwegian-cruise-line-looks-to-cut-costs-and-debtno-sacred-cows-738ed418

Not at all worried as this is bigger than Regent. This is about NCLH survival and prosperity in a market vs. RCL and Carnival. (who are also implementing such changes). Occupancy is at all time highs and I believe that Regent's product is better than the competition. Remember, although I am a paying guest, I travel on all lines for "work".

20 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

it makes me wonder whether we’ll be migrating to those lines because of cuts to Regent’s service and amenities.

What amenities and services do you see Regent cutting that the other luxury lines will offer?  

I believe this merging of programs is to "breed" a new customer base.  The average age of Regent customers seems to be aging.  They need to attract a younger crowd that is looking for more luxury and less party on cruises, just like we were when we "made the leap."  I think this is also the emphasis behind offering different air classes, to get people to try the brand.  

The major cruise line options are getting more and more inclusive and available, including very high end suites with "run of the ship" benefits included at a cost that is not that far off of Regent.  So people need to decide if they want a quieter itinerary based experience like Regent or the ability to "party as you want" or retreat to the quieter inner sanctum of suite lounge like you'll find on larger cruise ships. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

What amenities and services do you see Regent cutting that the other luxury lines will offer?

From the WSJ article:

The Miami-based company behind the Norwegian, Regent Seven Seas and Oceania cruise lines is also planning to slash $300 million in costs by 2026, with $100 million in reductions coming this year. “We are maniacally focused on that,” Chief Financial Officer Mark Kempa said of deleveraging the balance sheet.

“We’re trying to eliminate waste from the business, and that could be from anywhere,” he said. “There are no sacred cows.”

Don’t you think that the $300M in “maniacally focused” cuts with “no sacred cows” will likely include highly experienced, and therefore higher paid, staff? Better cuts of meat? More enjoyable wines? Excursions with less pan-handling by the tour operators? (Maybe that’s just a Mexico thing.) Included dry cleaning and laundry? Etc. etc. . . . death by a thousand paper cuts.

Edited by Bossa Nova

15 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

From the WSJ article:

The Miami-based company behind the Norwegian, Regent Seven Seas and Oceania cruise lines is also planning to slash $300 million in costs by 2026, with $100 million in reductions coming this year. “We are maniacally focused on that,” Chief Financial Officer Mark Kempa said of deleveraging the balance sheet.

“We’re trying to eliminate waste from the business, and that could be from anywhere,” he said. “There are no sacred cows.”

Don’t you think that the $300M in “maniacally focused” cuts with “no sacred cows” will likely include highly experienced, and therefore higher paid, staff? Better cuts of meat? More enjoyable wines? Excursions with less pan-handling by the tour operators? (Maybe that’s just a Mexico thing.) Included dry cleaning and laundry? Etc. etc. . . . death by a thousand paper cuts.

$300 million over 30 months is $10M a month divided by 32 ships owned by NCLH is about $10K per day per ship......not a big number anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

$300 million over 30 months is $10M a month divided by 32 ships owned by NCLH is about $10K per day per ship......not a big number anymore.

Thanks — that is helpful perspective. But if Regent loses its differentiation, I'm gone.

4 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

Thanks — that is helpful perspective. But if Regent loses its differentiation, I'm gone.

I think many would but the issue is that the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

We have just booked a Regent cruise of 19 days switching from Oceania. We do love Oceania with 23 cruises so far. I wish they would count days as I wouldn't pack my bags for less than 14 days and usually sail 19-30 days. Seems you never get full credit for days spent, as  an example cut off for 2 credits is 21 days, thus a 7 day cruise is hardly equal to 19 both receiving 1 credit.

Any time updates are made the long time customer looses. We did enjoy our free cruise on O back in the day when even air was included as we had always purchased air ( that is no longer the case). We learn to adapt, choice is to go or not go.

I can’t imagine there will be a day for day transfer between the 3 NCLH lines. Would make much more sense to base days or points available for transfer on money spent, not days.

17 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

From the WSJ article:

As others have stated the cuts are across 3 fleets.  So sure, I see them affecting certain aspects of the line.  It seems to me that Regent is trying to keep these cost savings as unnoticeable as possible.  So some food items won't be available due to both cost and supply chain issues. Same with wines and alcohol.   But that is happening cruise industry wide. Do you not think you'll see similar cuts at other luxury lines?  Sadly the cruise lines are going to be struggling to make up for BILLIONS in losses during Covid.  It's just becoming the "new normal."  That isn't an excuse, it's simply reality.  Supply lines are still stretched, crew members are harder to find, many tour companies went out of business during Covid and didn't come back, etc.  I think what you will find, if you scan the other cruise lines board, is the very same disappointments being addressed everywhere.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

As others have stated the cuts are across 3 fleets.  So sure, I see them affecting certain aspects of the line.  It seems to me that Regent is trying to keep these cost savings as unnoticeable as possible.  So some food items won't be available due to both cost and supply chain issues. Same with wines and alcohol.   But that is happening cruise industry wide. Do you not think you'll see similar cuts at other luxury lines?  Sadly the cruise lines are going to be struggling to make up for BILLIONS in losses during Covid.  It's just becoming the "new normal."  That isn't an excuse, it's simply reality.  Supply lines are still stretched, crew members are harder to find, many tour companies went out of business during Covid and didn't come back, etc.  I think what you will find, if you scan the other cruise lines board, is the very same disappointments being addressed everywhere.  

Yes I agree with you entirely. You don’t need to be on a cruise ship to see that supply chains are disrupted. However, it becomes more difficult to pay premium prices and not receive premium service and that’s where people may vote with their feet. Maybe some people will join the Regent followers because they have not experienced the past, but when you have experienced the past and the changes are noticeable that’s when life will be more challenging. 
I am sure that the powers that be will be doing their best but it’s a fine line between satisfying the shareholders and the experienced Regent travellers. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Certain costs are fixed for the cruiselines.

I  think the profit margin on the luxury lines is higher and it would be unwise business practice to lose those customers.

And, as far as cuts, we started cruising on Sitmar. Things that were "mainstream" then aren't even done on the luxury lines now. It bothered me for a while but it's just the way things go.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Unfortunately, that is not the way it's going to work.  The main line ships are pretty much cut to the bone to start with as everything is pay as you go.  That only leaves the mid and luxury lines to feel the cuts.

5 minutes ago, chamima said:

Certain costs are fixed for the cruiselines.

I  think the profit margin on the luxury lines is higher and it would be unwise business practice to lose those customers.

The profit margin is much higher but is still a small part of the overall picture. As long as the rooms are filled, and they are in record numbers, one could argue they might feel it is necessary to create new customers to replace those who will no longer be sailing. This is why they are marketing to much younger guests now.

• Like 1