Grand Dutch Cafe

1 hour ago, SeeSun&Sea said:

But they are only available after 11am. Alas!

I used to line up every day for them with a latte, didn’t have them on the Koningsdam, had giant chocolate chip cookies and they were pretty good.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 11:31 AM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Try the  giant chocolate coated cream puff.

Those are incredible. We stumbled on those one night and it became our late night go-to. So good. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 3:11 PM, BBQ Bacon said:

Sadly I do not see Irish Cream on those shelves.  I hope that gets rectified!

Is Irish coffee served on Rotterdam?   If so, where is best chance for getting it.   I did not see it listed on the Grand Dutch Cafe menu.  

Back from Ireland and it was delicious in the pubs we tried it.  Inquired on Celebrity board and realize that we are on Rotterdam before we sail on Celebrity again where they serve it in Cafe Al Baco per cruise critic posters

Edited by shipshape sam

16 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

Is Irish coffee served on Rotterdam?   If so, where is best chance for getting it.   I did not see it listed on the Grand Dutch Cafe menu.  

Back from Ireland and it was delicious in the pubs we tried it.  Inquired on Celebrity board and realize that we are on Rotterdam before we sail on Celebrity again where they serve it in Cafe Al Baco per cruise critic posters

It was when we sailed last. Baileys is covered under both beverage plans, as a liquor. We had it in the Crow’s Nest / Explorations Cafe as well as specialty dining venues. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, albingirl said:

If you are a fan of quiche, it's quite good here.

Yes.  That's the only thing I get there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

No, just a "tick" off your 15 with HIA.

Unless you have the elite beverage package then I believe coffee (and specialty coffee) does not count against your total. IMG_3502.thumb.jpeg.19deaef6c43e82c85a8059c6c1028c6d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

3 hours ago, Mermen said:

It was when we sailed last. Baileys is covered under both beverage plans, as a liquor. We had it in the Crow’s Nest / Explorations Cafe as well as specialty dining venues. 

Sorry people, but Bailey's is not a constituent of Irish Coffee.  It takes coffee, thick cream and Irish Whiskey to make an Irish Coffee.  Coffee with Bailey's in it, is just coffee with Bailey's.

On a positive note, they do have Jameson on board so real Irish Coffee should be possible, even if you have to do some of it yourself!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Sorry people, but Bailey's is not a constituent of Irish Coffee.  It takes coffee, thick cream and Irish Whiskey to make an Irish Coffee.  Coffee with Bailey's in it, is just coffee with Bailey's.

And here I thought Bailey's is thick cream with Irish Whiskey. Go figure.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

On a positive note, they do have Jameson on board so real Irish Coffee should be possible, even if you have to do some of it yourself!

Will keep checking.  Irish Coffee is coffee with Irish whiskey heavy cream and sugar cubes or spoon full of sugar.  Was introduced to it in Ireland and it is delicious anytime.  

1 hour ago, Wayward Son said:

I think 'lazy-man's Irish coffee'  comes out much sweeter with Baileys.

5 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

Wow, kind of bummed that you pay for drinks on Half Moon.  Can you use OBC for those?

Yes, you pay for them with your cabin-card, so first to your OBC, then to your Credit Card of record.

18 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Absolutely correct.  But it should be segregated and look almost like a good pint of Guiness.   i.e. a blonde in a black dress 😉  With Baileys the colour separation does not exist.  

Also it should be pouring cream, not whipped cream.  Pour the cream over the back of an inverted spoon onto the top of the coffee & whiskey.  Drink through the cream.

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

I think 'lazy-man's Irish coffee'  comes out much sweeter with Baileys.

Correct!  But I have found that it is not men who do it the lazy way so much 😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The GDC does open in the mornings for coffee & pastries- 7 Am if I remember correctly.  I loved the yogurt parfaits from GDC.  I would go early for a parfait, pastry & a specialty coffee- yum.  And the last time we were on a ship with GDC, the cookies changed periodically-not always the chocolate chip. But anything we tried, was delicious.  Darn-our next HAL cruise doesn't have a GDC on the ship.  Guess we'll have to book another soon...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Banditswife said:

The GDC does open in the mornings for coffee & pastries- 7 Am if I remember correctly.  I loved the yogurt parfaits from GDC.  I would go early for a parfait, pastry & a specialty coffee- yum.  And the last time we were on a ship with GDC, the cookies changed periodically-not always the chocolate chip. But anything we tried, was delicious.  Darn-our next HAL cruise doesn't have a GDC on the ship.  Guess we'll have to book another soon...

This is awesome.  Now I know where I can start first breakfast!

18 hours ago, Swash Buckler said:

Mocha is available in the Crows Nest

21 hours ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

I didn't see Mocha on that list. Can they do Mocha? I need chocolate in my coffee. Can't stand it otherwise.

Mocha latte was available in the Dutch Cafe on the Koningsdam last Feb/March 

• Like 1