Tipping Extension Host

JerryInIL

Posted (edited)

I found the level of customer service far far higher in Japan recently than on my trip immediately prior to the US. No tipping brings about a very different culture. 
It’s very easy to bring gifts they love. It’s not about going out shopping once there. It’s not about you making yourself feel “good” by sharing your money or buying them what you think they need. It’s about saying thank you not about paying yhrm off. 
We have a rather naughty traditional sweet - tablet. Going to Japan I wrapped individual bars in nice paper (tartan actually but it could be anything) with a matching thank you tag. The recipients were all delighted and no offence was caused. 
On our extension in Europe (where unlike the US there are generous minimum wage regulations) I may follow the $10 a day suggestion provided I see evidence of someone doing more than just the basics of their job. 

Edited by uktog

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Limited experience/small sample size but I have noted tip lines turning up on hand held devices in places they were previously absent - Scandanavia, the Baltic & Iceland come to mind. I do not believe this phenomena is due to the locals suddenly changing their habits.

Unfortunately companies are using US based software to handle transactions and from what I understand from someone in the trade it’s impossible to disable that part. 

To infer as another poster did that failure to hand over $5 when passing a bag over at embarkation will lead to it going missing is an insult to the port staff. The poster is actually inferring that those in that role in the port here are cheats and thieves and not the hardworking people they are. 

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, DrKoob said:

So I shouldn't tip anyone in Europe because it will make them think that you should tip them as well? 

Yes, that is the basis of the problem with excess tipping in cultures where it is unusual. You may be able to throw cash around during a short visit, the locals may struggle to throw similar amounts around everyday

Do some basic research, and try to tip as a local would. 

We don't want to end up with a US type tipping culture

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These kinds of debates on tipping/gratuities are not new on CC.

I think that we all should consider that there are different mindsets to tipping in different parts of the world.

I do personally blame the US tipping culture for where the Canadian tipping culture has gone and is going, because we are so very influenced by US culture in so many things.

In restaurants in the US especially servers are paid very low hourly wages and depend on tips to survive.  This is a culture that has made - in my mind - tipping mandatory.  The restaurant customer is effectively paying the servers salary, not the restaurant.  (This is a generalization across all states, and not necessarily the norm in every restaurant)

In Canada we pay our servers much higher minimum wages, and some restaurants are moving to "living wages" and no tips... but the restaurant bill increased by about 20%.  In these restaurants the servers are being paid between $23 and $25 per hour.  We are paying the tip included in the food bill and the menu item cost.  (This is no different than with Viking including the grats in the UK but Canada pay them extra - this is reflected in the cabin cost)

To me, anywhere in the world that I am, I believe that a tip is deserved if you go above and beyond, and not just for doing your job.  This to me is where tipping culture is out of hand in the USA and Canada.  Do NOT expect me to tip you 20% or higher just to carry a plate to my table and never come back and never refill my water and then avoid me when I want the bill...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We recently completed the Alaska & Inside Passage Cruise with the Pristine Alaska Extension. All I can say is WOW! What an amazing experience. That said, when we met our land tour director and driver for the extension, we received a document from the tour director. There was a Viking logo and 'Viking Ocean Cruises Pristine Post Cruise Tour' at the top of the first page. At the bottom of the last page was a topic on Gratuities. It reads -

Gratuities.

Many guests have requested a tipping guideline for the land tour. We suggest:

Tour Director: $9.00 per person, per day,

Driver $6.00 per person per day,

Host Guide on the train $2.00 per person per rail leg.

This is a significant chunk of change and a far cry from $5.00 per person per day for an excursion guide and $2.00 per day for the driver. I do not begrudge the tour staff their due but it would have nice and far less embarrassing to have this information before leaving home. 

Posted (edited)

Reluctant to add to this debate, yet a person who lives in a $1 million or a $5 million or more home, certainly does not "need" that extra space to live.

They "choose" it because the are, most likely financially able. I do not pass judgement on those folks.

People do that with which they are comfortable, be it homes (maybe 2 or 3), cars, or even tipping.

Edited by FetaCheese

On 6/2/2024 at 8:26 PM, dwlmg said:

We recently completed the Alaska & Inside Passage Cruise with the Pristine Alaska Extension. All I can say is WOW! What an amazing experience. That said, when we met our land tour director and driver for the extension, we received a document from the tour director. There was a Viking logo and 'Viking Ocean Cruises Pristine Post Cruise Tour' at the top of the first page. At the bottom of the last page was a topic on Gratuities. It reads -

Gratuities.

Many guests have requested a tipping guideline for the land tour. We suggest:

Tour Director: $9.00 per person, per day,

Driver $6.00 per person per day,

Host Guide on the train $2.00 per person per rail leg.

This is a significant chunk of change and a far cry from $5.00 per person per day for an excursion guide and $2.00 per day for the driver. I do not begrudge the tour staff their due but it would have nice and far less embarrassing to have this information before leaving home. 

The hell with that. The customer is the judge of what, if any, tip is to be given. 

Any tip farming is poor service. Poor service does not get a tip