Rotterdam: Veranah side of ship for Panama Canal?

Posted (edited)

Is there a side of the ship preferable for viewing going through Panama Canal, if out on your balcony?

This will be from FL (partial transit)

Thank you

Edited by Al2863
  • Like 1

Are you going from the Atlantic to the Pacific or the Pacific to the Atlantic?

A full Panama Canal transit is my favorite cruise.  I’ve gone in both directions.  I can’t see any preference if going from the Pacific to the Atlantic.  If going from the Atlantic to the Pacific, I prefer Starboard.  You can see the remains of the original French attempt to build the canal.  After reading “The Path Between the Seas”, I was quite moved by the sight of them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Al2863 said:

Is there a side of the ship preferable for viewing going through Panama Canal, if out on your balcony?

Yes! Although you will get replies saying you should be moving around the ship...

If you want to use your balcony that you have paid for, you should choose port if going from Atlantic to Pacific and starboard if the other way. This is because the canal is not cut on an East-West line!

image.jpeg.7f31293bbac9e8e4eed1f3d45b9b2cfc.jpeg

If you are in a starboard Verandah from Florida to California, you will be in the south-southwest sun in the afternoon, and be forced off your balcony! Ask me how I know!!!

ETA: It is true we did see the failed French canal as mentioned by lcand. That was in the nice (cooler) early hours...

ETAA: We are both assuming you are traversing the original canal.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

A common refrain on the Panama Canal board is the best sides are topside and outside.

The third choice might be aft, wake facing. 

In other words, not in your cabin.

• Haha 1

I have only done the Canal once from FL to Seattle. Inside cabin. I spent the time on deck going from side to side to see as much as I could.

Jim

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, thanks everyone for the input, all set! I can’t seem to delete the ?

Edited by Al2863

2 hours ago, Al2863 said:

Okay, thanks everyone for the input, all set! I can’t seem to delete the ?

We leave the questions up, for others to learn from! Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, lcand1923 said:

I can’t see any preference if going from the Pacific to the Atlantic.  If going from the Atlantic to the Pacific, I prefer Starboard.  You can see the remains of the original French attempt to build the canal.

Just curious why you say you have no preference when going Pacific to Atlantic, but you do have a preference going in the opposite direction?  If the reason you prefer starboard going from Atlantic to Pacific is the remains of the French attempt, wouldn't you see this on the port side going in the opposite direction?

We have a full transit booked for 2025 going from Pacific to Atlantic, and just need to decide if we want to change our cabin to the other side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Just curious why you say you have no preference when going Pacific to Atlantic, but you do have a preference going in the opposite direction?  If the reason you prefer starboard going from Atlantic to Pacific is the remains of the French attempt, wouldn't you see this on the port side going in the opposite direction?

Having seen it from starboard Atl>Pac, it is a narrow cut mostly swallowed by the jungle. The view from the other side (direction) of the canal would be slim to none.

I would choose starboard going your direction, although the afternoon sun might be less oppressive in the northern Atlantic locks than it was for us.

• Like 1

Suggest port when going Atlantic to Pacific and starboard the other way so as to be able to view the people watching you at the Miraflores Visitor Center. Assuming full passage and original locks. Otherwise, as one who has been through eight times and will do a ninth in 2026, I haven't found that much advantage to either side. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I know the original question was about the Rotterdam and a partial transit.  Rotterdam cannot go through the original locks, she is too wide.  Topside and outside still apply but I don't think there's an easy answer for the balcony question.

I think the scenery is more interesting on the South American side of the canal.  While the water saving ponds are worth a glance there's no action  there; that is on the other side.  In any case, I like the idea of getting a view of the French Canal, and I liked the very top deck forward for that.

There's an option to get off the ship in Lake Gatun, and reconnect with the ship in Colon.  If that is taken I would suggest a port verandah to have the option of watching there once it gets too hot to be around the ship.

If staying onboard for the full round irip, a starboard verandah would be my choice as that would give shelter during the hottest part of the afternoon.

As to moving around the ship, I liked the very top forward as well as the bow and a little porch at the front of deck 6.  Space is limited but it all has an unobstructed view:

6porch.jpg

For aft views I liked the seaview pool and the deck above it.  Unfortunately, the promenade deck is not really an option, although I enjoyed a brief glimpse of the lifeboats in their retracted position which allows the pilots to get an unobstructed view of the side of the ship.  People cannot pass through the places where there are lifeboats:

boatsin.jpg

Whatever you choose, enjoy the canal experience.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Al2863 said:

This will be from FL (partial transit)

Thank you

Port.

22 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If you are in a starboard Verandah from Florida to California, you will be in the south-southwest sun in the afternoon, and be forced off your balcony! Ask me how I know!!!

ETA: It is true we did see the failed French canal as mentioned by lcand. That was in the nice (cooler) early hours...

I did not see the edit that you were doing an Atlantic Partial -- Then I would choose starboard for the French Attempt.

BUT, I did not know the Rotterdam was too wide for original locks (I thought it was a Pana-Max for them). DNK what the view of French canal is from new locks. We are booked for a Atlantic Partial on R'dam in 2026, in port Verandahs (because they were available!). We will be doing the Pacific locks to Colon shore excursion!

• Thanks 1