Live from Noordam - Alaska May 26 - June 9

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from QuattroRomeo! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

QuattroRomeo was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We flew into Vancouver this morning (it's a short flight!) for our Noordam 14 day cruise to Alaska. We have been on Koningsdam twice for the 7 day Inside Passage cruise, and it seemed too short, so we're giving this one a try. 

If you happened to read my post yesterday, titled "Your cruise has departed", then you know we had a rocky start! Today we had a painful flight experience, with a gate change to almost the furthest one, D86 out of 95..I think we walked for longer than the flight lasted! When we finally got to the gate, we were informed that the plane was changed, and that we should try our carryons in the size rack, because the plane had very small overhead bins. Sure enough, we had to check them in. Once on the plane, they announced that the coffee machines were broken, and there were no hot beverages. What ? 🤯😲🤯😲 

Luckily, I had bid the lowest amount for a seat upgrade and we got it, sitting in row 1! I jokingly asked the attendant if he had iced coffee. He said, would you like a coffee? I said yes, yes I would!...he said he had a small coffee pot up front and he would make me some, but couldn't make enough for the whole plane. He served it in a china mug. A full mug. Not the little teaser cups you usually get! Great for me- things are beginning to turn around!!

Once we landed it was a breeze getting through, and we grabbed a taxi out front. It cost $38 to Canada Place. There are 3 ships in port today. The worst lineup was for the security xray machine area; more walking around and around. Got onboard about 11:40. 

Room was ready. Grabbed a couple of burgers from Dive-in for lunch. Then did muster, finding the closest door to the outside lifeboat station. A crew member scanned our cards and told us just to find the station outside that was ours. And that was it.

I took a few photos in Canada Place with DH's phone, and will post them later. DH has a foot injury and all of the walking today has pretty much done him in. 

We booked the cruise last August with the extra perks HIA. Also got Club Orange, so looking forward to seeing how that goes. I scoured CC in the intervening months and found only a few reviews for Noordam, so I appreciated them. Hopefully I can add to that for anyone curious about the ship. We have sailed Noordam twice before, but a looong time ago; last time was 2011.

We have several ship excursions booked this time, so will include comments on them. Canaletto, Pinnacle Grill and Morimoto are also on the list, so you know there will be food pics! If you care to "cruise" along with us and would like photos of something in particular let me know and I will try to get it.

I have had a couple of coffees at Explorations already, including the daily special which is Mocha Mint. Pretty nice. The pecan brownie ( she called it vegan) wasn't that great. Pistachio biscotti was good. 

Tonight we go to Pinnacle Grill. A few random pics from my wanderings this aft: 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Looking forward to reading your reports, we will be on the Noordam 14 day Alaska cruise in September, so all tips will be welcome.

• Like 2

We will be getting on Noordam the afternoon you get off the ship.

Any chance you can post the daily schedules (atleast for the Northbound portion). I am mostly interested in the sea days, but I wouldn't say no to the port day ship schedules.

He a great cruise.

2 hours ago, CMSD said:

We will be getting on Noordam the afternoon you get off the ship.

Any chance you can post the daily schedules (atleast for the Northbound portion). I am mostly interested in the sea days, but I wouldn't say no to the port day ship schedules.

He a great cruise.

Yes, will do!

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Fantastic posts! Thank you!!  Did you receive the "timed" plan to check-in or has HAL discontinued that method? Just a free-for-all as usual?

Free for all!

• Thanks 2

We had mushroom soup, which was fantastic. Also shared some crab cakes. Lots of crab in them but just okay-tasting. I had the scallops entree and really enjoyed it; the cauliflower risotto under them was really good. DH had the halibut. It was a large portion, but the texture was apparently a bit mushy. Dessert for me was key lime pie- nice and tangy. DH enjoyed his cheese plate.

20240526_180715.jpg

20240526_183706.jpg

20240526_183712.jpg

20240526_192354.jpg

• Like 5

Club Orange bag appeared this evening along with 2 canvas bags. The nicer bathrobes are in the closet. The CO breakfast room service menu also appeared. There is an invitation to Mariners reception 3,4,5 star tomorrow at 10:30.

20240526_194649.jpg

20240526_194654.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Can someone please tell me how to get the space in between photos!

For photos hosted on my website, i hit the Enter key after posting each photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

For photos hosted on my website, i hit the Enter key after posting each photo.

I'll keep trying! Using mostly a tablet with stored photos in gallery.

12 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Can someone please tell me how to get the space in between photos!

On my tablet, I post the picture, hit RETURN before I post the next picture.

Thank you for this thread.  We will be sailing the Noordam for the first time in Australia.  I love the Oosterdam so I hope I feel the same way about the Noordam.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the photos and info.  SO glad the Pinancle scallops were good. I order them most times, but the last order on this ship I think they were cooked from frozen: tough, undercooked. Really not up to par at all!

• Like 1