Are Plastic luggage tag holders ok?

Posted (edited)

Hi all, been a while since I’ve posted but we are about to embark on our third cruise on P&O with a return to Azura on Thursday.  Last trip we took was Iona, Norway and the paper tags ripped off on our cases, so I’ve done some googling and found some plastic tag holders on Amazon, I’ve folded the tag so the room number shows inside the sleeve, but my name doesn’t show due to the way it’s folded. 

Does anyone else use these tags? Are they ok? 

thanks in advance and see you on Azura on Thursday !  

Edited by RollingAround

Posted (edited)

Yes you can, we use them all the time! We use the below which shows all the details. You can get them quite cheaply on Amazon

image.png.08c68de9bd93685e3d3af0b4ebe8d2a1.png

Edited by CCFC
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, david63 said:

Yes and yes

20 minutes ago, RollingAround said:

Hi all, been a while since I’ve posted but we are about to embark on our third cruise on P&O with a return to Azura on Thursday.  Last trip we took was Iona, Norway and the paper tags ripped off on our cases, so I’ve done some googling and found some plastic tag holders on Amazon, I’ve folded the tag so the room number shows inside the sleeve, but my name doesn’t show due to the way it’s folded. 

Does anyone else use these tags? Are they ok? 

thanks in advance and see you on Azura on Thursday !  

Yes I have used mine 20 plus times and they are still going strong. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perfect thanks all.  I bought a set of four with the lanyards too for the keycard.  Much easier for my (disabled) husband to present his card when needed.  

just counting down the days now.  😊

• Like 2

A yes from me too.

I first bought a set, with a metal and screw loop, when we were doing a fly cruise and since then both my daugher and her husband and my mother have used them too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

In my experience, the paper ones are simply impossible to remove without using scissors. We use a lot of staples, and I mean a lot! 

I only use 3 staples per tag and have not had any problems over the 23 years we have been cruising. We wrap the tag around the top handle in a loop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

We got the longer tags with the screw thread for our fly cruise after seeing someone on here talking about them.

Worked really well and no worry about them being ripped off like the paper ones.

These could be ok. Our problem is that when folded and inserted you can see the cruise number and cabin number but cannot see the name. This would entail someone removing the tag and opening it to see the name in an emergency. Any ideas on this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Funboy said:

These could be ok. Our problem is that when folded and inserted you can see the cruise number and cabin number but cannot see the name. This would entail someone removing the tag and opening it to see the name in an emergency. Any ideas on this?

On our cases we have used the screw fastener type luggage labels for some time now.

Our names are displayed on our luggage name straps we use as well.

On the chance that we were really unlucky and both the above went missing ,

we also have our surname and mobile contact number printed out on A4 paper

left inside the case ,stating please contact in an emergency .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ardennais said:

In my experience, the paper ones are simply impossible to remove without using scissors. We use a lot of staples, and I mean a lot! 

This used to be my view and I also used a lot of staples, however for the first time this year we had a case not turn up to our cabin.  I went down to reception on route to dinner when I was directed to a large pile of cases and there was mine minus its label.  I was gobsmacked as I really went to town on the staples and the label was fastened on the little handle on top not the big carrying handle on the side.  

I will be investing in label holders

• Like 2

We also had a case go missing on Arvia last year and that had the screw fastening label. So it just goes to show that any label can get ripped off its just a matter of luck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kalos said:

That, though, is only of use if somebody can open the case, and yes I know that most locked cases can be opened by a 10 year old child!

I print the labels, fold them half so the reference numbers are displayed each side and then laminate them. After that I punch a hole in the top and attach them to the case using string. Two tags per case attached to different points. It works for us.

10 hours ago, Ardennais said:

I agree that the paper tags are pretty strong but on one occasion one of our cases arrived with only one tag,  probably because it was pouring with rain and the tags were paper.  Since then I have used 2 inch wide clear packing tape to cover the tags and then stapled them round both of the handles on the cases.

• Like 2

… of the many changes over the years, I really lament the demise of the pre-cruise booklet!  Its arrival meant your cruise would soon be here, gave you the chance to browse the excursions in a way I find more enjoyable than on-screen, and - gave you good, simple, functional luggage tags!

Ah - the olden days 🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For those who wrap half a roll of sellotape and two dozen staples on each luggage label would it not be cheaper, never mind easier, to use the plastic covers? After two cruises you would be in pocket.

Just an observation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

For those who wrap half a roll of sellotape and two dozen staples on each luggage label would it not be cheaper, never mind easier, to use the plastic covers? After two cruises you would be in pocket.

Just an observation.

This year we gave in and purchased plastic tags. About a fiver online. I miss the old days . Sellotape that I couldn't find the end of ( don't cut the lable..fold it ). Stapler, staples ( got some somewhere). Screwdriver to dig the bent up staples out of the machine. Plaster for thumb ( the screwdriver slipped ). I do miss the old days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, kalos said:

On our cases we have used the screw fastener type luggage labels for some time now.

Our names are displayed on our luggage name straps we use as well.

For a minute there I thought I had written this post, right down to the luggage straps and name and number inside the case. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, david63 said:

That, though, is only of use if somebody can open the case, and yes I know that most locked cases can be opened by a 10 year old child!

Correct most old suitcases ,a Biro and your in ,more up to date ones have TSA locks

which the powers that be can open if the need arises .

Our case's have these and on the back on the outside a little slide compartment that 

also has our phone number within it .

So we would say no case is fool proof but we have done our best to make sure 

we are reunited with our cases .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kalos said:

Correct most old suitcases ,a Biro and your in ,more up to date ones have TSA locks

which the powers that be can open if the need arises .

Our case's have these and on the back on the outside a little slide compartment that 

also has our phone number within it .

So we would say no case is fool proof but we have done our best to make sure 

we are reunited with our cases .

We have never bothered locking our suitcases. If they can get into my computer, I doubt a 50p lock would tax their abilities too much. If they want my secondhand " undercrackers " they are welcome.🤣

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have never bothered locking our suitcases. If they can get into my computer, I doubt a 50p lock would tax their abilities too much. If they want my secondhand " undercrackers " they are welcome.🤣

I was beginning to think that we were the only ones! We never lock our cases either. 

• Like 1