Cruise staying overnight in NYC

Hi there,

my sister will be boarding the Coral Princess in July (Manhattan cruise terminal I believe). She was wondering how easy it is to leave the ship to explore Manhattan on her own. Also, are there any grocery stores within walking distance so she can pick up some last minute things or drinks etc before sailing?

thanks!

1 hour ago, Camelia- said:

Hi there,

my sister will be boarding the Coral Princess in July (Manhattan cruise terminal I believe). She was wondering how easy it is to leave the ship to explore Manhattan on her own. Also, are there any grocery stores within walking distance so she can pick up some last minute things or drinks etc before sailing?

thanks!

I am pretty sure Coral Princess will sail from Brooklyn, not Manhattan.  If she wants to explore Manhattan, she should plan to spend a night or two before boarding in a Manhattan hotel.  

If she wants to pick up stuff before sailing, she should do it before boarding - the area around Brooklyn Cruise Terminal offers very little.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am pretty sure Coral Princess will sail from Brooklyn, not Manhattan

Coral Princess has a 36 day world cruise segment departing from Manhattan in July.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am pretty sure Coral Princess will sail from Brooklyn, not Manhattan.  If she wants to explore Manhattan, she should plan to spend a night or two before boarding in a Manhattan hotel.  

If she wants to pick up stuff before sailing, she should do it before boarding - the area around Brooklyn Cruise Terminal offers very little.

I know that it’s usually Brooklyn but she was looking at the pier schedule which indicates Manhattan for that date. Perhaps she should call Princess before sailing.

56 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Coral Princess has a 36 day world cruise segment departing from Manhattan in July.

Thanks for confirming that. 

10 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Yes, there are stores within walking distance from either pier, depending on how she defines walking distance.

With the Terminals being on 12th Avenue - West Side Highway and the street are quite lengthy.

Candy Stores and Mini Superette are not located till about 8 - 9 Avenue and very few on 10th Avenue.

11th Avenue in that vicinity are main Big Automobile Dealerships and some parks.

4 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

With the Terminals being on 12th Avenue - West Side Highway and the street are quite lengthy.

Candy Stores and Mini Superette are not located till about 8 - 9 Avenue and very few on 10th Avenue.

11th Avenue in that vicinity are main Big Automobile Dealerships and some parks.

See my "Defines walking distance" caveat.  We have walked to the piers from Times Square more times than I can count

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Manhattan blocks on the West side are 1,000 feet long east/west (about five blocks per mile considering the width of the avenues), and 250 feet long north/south.

The supermarket is NOT at 9th Avenue & 43rd (though there is a bodega there) but closer to 10th Avenue. It's the Food Emprium. There is another supermarket (the Big Apple) at 9th Avenue and 41st.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Langoustine said:

The supermarket is NOT at 9th Avenue & 43rd (though there is a bodega there) but closer to 10th Avenue. It's the Food Emprium. There is another supermarket (the Big Apple) at 9th Avenue and 41st.

Interesting difference in perspective: what you, as a New Yorker, referred to as a bodega was referred to by someone from Louisville, KY as a supermarket.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Interesting difference in perspective: what you, as a New Yorker, referred to as a bodega was referred to by someone from Louisville, KY as a supermarket.

That’s kind of funny actually. Not a native New Yorker, just a frequent visitor and I don’t know that I’d ever call a bodega a supermarket. I mean there are bodegas everywhere and some of them have a decent product selection, but they’re still bodegas. 

12 hours ago, markeb said:

That’s kind of funny actually. Not a native New Yorker, just a frequent visitor and I don’t know that I’d ever call a bodega a supermarket. I mean there are bodegas everywhere and some of them have a decent product selection, but they’re still bodegas. 

Is a bodega similar to what we call a corner store ( even if it’s not on a corner)?  Sometimes called a convenience store?

12 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Is a bodega similar to what we call a corner store ( even if it’s not on a corner)?  Sometimes called a convenience store?

Yea and no. There’s actually a definition from the board of health! Dealing with size and what they sell and do. 

Generally they’ll have basic grocery items such as milk and eggs. Most that I’ve been in have a sandwich and breakfast counter. Some have hot bars. They’re not a full service bakery. They have a certain feel (and attitude) that may not be unique to New York, but they’re recognizable as New York. I think the mix of retail and ready to eat is the main characteristic. 

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

Yea and no. There’s actually a definition from the board of health! Dealing with size and what they sell and do. 

Generally they’ll have basic grocery items such as milk and eggs. Most that I’ve been in have a sandwich and breakfast counter. Some have hot bars. They’re not a full service bakery. They have a certain feel (and attitude) that may not be unique to New York, but they’re recognizable as New York. I think the mix of retail and ready to eat is the main characteristic. 

Thank you…I look forward to seeing some of these bodegas when in NYC.  😊

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I hope you have wider plans.

Of course. Have been to NYC many times…and I like to see the unadvertised spots, touristy or not, that make up a city. 😊