Regent's "New" Fare Options are Much Ado About Nothing imho

For any travel, we are rather picky about the air. We don’t fly basic economy, and strongly prefer to avoid premium economy on flights over two hours. We want connections to a bare minimum And decision about taking a trip (or not) BEGINS. With researching the air situation. Unless I am mistaken, Regent’s new policy  reverses that by dealing with the air question after deposit, and after final payment is due in some cases.

34 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

For any travel, we are rather picky about the air. We don’t fly basic economy, and strongly prefer to avoid premium economy on flights over two hours. We want connections to a bare minimum And decision about taking a trip (or not) BEGINS. With researching the air situation. Unless I am mistaken, Regent’s new policy  reverses that by dealing with the air question after deposit, and after final payment is due in some cases.

Book, settle your air via deviation and you still have plenty of time to cancel before the penalty deadline.

34 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

Yes, frankly, this makes it very difficult to make travel arrangements with Regents, unless you are willing to forego the supposed inherent advantages of Regent air from the outset and book your own BC air.  The new paradigm changes everything.

6 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Book, settle your air via deviation and you still have plenty of time to cancel before the penalty deadline.

Using that logic and for 2 people still out $350 non refundable for the deviation. 

2 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Using that logic and for 2 people still out $350 non refundable for the deviation. 

$350 compared to tens of thousands of dollars for a cruise that is far more enjoyable with perfect airfare....and that's only if they are below Platinum. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Posted (edited)

No, the deviation fee of $350 didn’t bother us because we got the flights we wanted with no connections and BC. But what if we couldn’t get that flight, as it was the only one like it? We have come to assume that Regent provided BC flights will drag you all over the US with I or more connections and layovers before the BC flight.

Edited by Dolebludger
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

No, the deviation fee of $350 didn’t bother us because we got the flights we wanted with no connections and BC. But what if we couldn’t get that flight, as it was the only one like it? We have come to assume that Regent provided BC flights will drag you all over the US with I or more connections and layovers before the BC flight.

Mind you...it's not Regent dragging you all over the US - it's the airlines and what they are willing to provide to cruise lines (and other tour operators) at contract rates.

1 minute ago, Kwaj girl said:

Mind you...it's not Regent dragging you all over the US - it's the airlines and what they are willing to provide to cruise lines (and other tour operators) at contract rates.

Is it wrong for airlines to maximize income/profits?

8 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Is it wrong for airlines to maximize income/profits?

Not at all!  Just sayin' that today's travelers need to understand where to place 'the blame.'

17 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Not at all!  Just sayin' that today's travelers need to understand where to place 'the blame.'

Why does blame need to be placed? So far we are a mostly free country. In terms of spending our money we have the choice of where and how much. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Why does blame need to be placed? So far we are a mostly free country. In terms of spending our money we have the choice of where and how much. 

Perhaps I have been misreading several posts that seem to complain that Regent is changing everything air-inclusive-wise, thus potentially increasing prices 7/1.  

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Does it matter whose fault it is?  It is evident that Regent has decided, increasingly, to decouple airfare from its cruise product.  Where it was customary to assume, when booking Regent, that the airfare was included in the cruise fare (with BC being included in all transcontinental and international segments), this will no longer be the case.  Thus, Regent passengers will have to decide whether it is worth it to them to purchase the included (basic economy) airfare, or whether they wish to purchase airfare on their own, whether outright or by using miles.

If they decide to use miles, the option of booking with their FF miles instead of with Regent air will allow them to weigh various options in terms of itinerary, class, etc.  If they decide to book directly with the airlines, then the earlier they book, the more money they can potentially save, regardless of class of service booked. 

53 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Does it matter whose fault it is?  It is evident that Regent has decided, increasingly, to decouple airfare from its cruise product.  Where it was customary to assume, when booking Regent, that the airfare was included in the cruise fare (with BC being included in all transcontinental and international segments), this will no longer be the case.  Thus, Regent passengers will have to decide whether it is worth it to them to purchase the included (basic economy) airfare, or whether they wish to purchase airfare on their own, whether outright or by using miles.

If they decide to use miles, the option of booking with their FF miles instead of with Regent air will allow them to weigh various options in terms of itinerary, class, etc.  If they decide to book directly with the airlines, then the earlier they book, the more money they can potentially save, regardless of class of service booked. 

With respect, this is not a change. You could always buy the cruise without the air. Until we see pricing and can make informed comparisons, all we know is that this is a marketing change. You never know - we might all love it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Absolutely, I blame the airlines for this whole situation — not Regent at all. Direct connections have become “golden”. Airlines want to  make us endure connections, layovers, and often missed flights, or else pay a huge premium for the most direct flights. Airlines are the ones that will keep us at home in the four corners area in SW Colorado — not Regent. Every time I have set foot on a Regent ship (since 2002 when the name was Radisson) I have said “thank God!” I don’t criticize Regent at all. But the rest of the tourist - hospitality industry has gone to hades! Our two recent Regent cruises have been great onboard. But getting to the ship, and home from the ship has not been great. Back 20 years ago, if one had flights with multiple connections, on could be fairly confident that none would be missed. Not now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ysolde said:

44 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

With respect, this is not a change. You could always buy the cruise without the air. Until we see pricing and can make informed comparisons, all we know is that this is a marketing change. You never know - we might all love it!

Of course I am speculating but I agree with Pcardad. I’m not sure where this notion that only basic economy will be included in the new ultimate package came from but I don’t see it in the material Regent has put out about the new packages. In fact the website has always shown the fare with and without air either by showing a price with air included or by indicating the air credit if Regent air was not desired. 

The current Regent business class air package reminds me of the old adage about the Model T Ford. It was said that you could have any color you wanted as long as you wanted black. 😃 So, for the most part, Regent now says that you can have any class of international air you want as long as it is business class. Subject to change after July 1, as I read the Regent material, the ultimate package for air will be similar to what now exists but with the option to choose the fare class, from first to economy that the passenger wants. I see this as an improvement over the current system. My opinion may change depending upon how the new system works but time will tell. July 1 is just around the corner.

i’ve also noticed some posters saying that air should be resolved by Regent before a cruise is deposited. Since some Regent cruises are bookable 2 to 3 years before the cruise sails and airlines do not release schedules earlier than a year before the flight, I don’t see how resolution before deposit will be possible in all cases.

In any event, I think this thread could be in the running for the annual Speculation Running Wild award. 😂

Dave

Edited by DaveFr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Yes, I'm quite sure we are all aware that you could always purchase a Regent cruise without air.  What differentiated Regent, however, one of the things that made it a luxury cruise line, was the fact that, once you decided your cabin category, aside from a few bells and whistles (more expensive alcohol and excursions) all you had to do was get to the airport, and the entirety of your cruise was included (including BC transcontinental and International air).  

Now, as I stated in a prior post, Regent seems headed down the path of mainstream cruise lines.  The only included class of air service now is the rock-bottom cheapest, keeping Regent's prices low.  Thus, Regent is no longer interested in being a luxury brand.  

Give it a few years and they will be telling you how wonderful it is that they have a drinks package so that you don't have to hand over your card key each and every time you order a drink on board.  But don't blame Regent.  They will always be a luxury brand.  It's the alcohols and sodas that have gotten so darned expensive.  Can't blame Regent for passing on the cost to the consumer.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Yes, I'm quite sure we are all aware that you could always purchase a Regent cruise without air.  What differentiated Regent, however, one of the things that made it a luxury cruise line, was the fact that, once you decided your cabin category, aside from a few bells and whistles (more expensive alcohol and excursions) all you had to do was get to the airport, and the entirety of your cruise was included (including BC transcontinental and International air).  

Now, as I stated in a prior post, Regent seems headed down the path of mainstream cruise lines.  The only included class of air service now is the rock-bottom cheapest, keeping Regent's prices low.  Thus, Regent is no longer interested in being a luxury brand.  

Give it a few years and they will be telling you how wonderful it is that they have a drinks package so that you don't have to hand over your card key each and every time you order a drink on board.  But don't blame Regent.  They will always be a luxury brand.  It's the alcohols and sodas that have gotten so darned expensive.  Can't blame Regent for passing on the cost to the consumer.

(Sarcasm deleted)

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

18 minutes ago, ysolde said:

You can still do this.

To me, it seems they are simply offering additional options and many people prefer choices.

Their primary duty is to their stockholders so they must feel this path will maximize return even if some guests do not like it.

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

You can still do this.

To me, it seems they are simply offering additional options and many people prefer choices.

Their primary duty is to their stockholders so they must feel this path will maximize return even if some guests do not like it.

I'm sure many people prefer choices.  Like the choice to buy the cheapest possible cruise package, the largest possible booze package, start drinking as soon as possible upon embarkation, become as obnoxious as possible, and expect all your fellow passengers to simply put up with you?  Those are not the types of choices one generally expects to find on Regent.  But then I suppose times may be changing.  Stockholders, after all . . . 

Just now, ysolde said:

I'm sure many people prefer choices.  Like the choice to buy the cheapest possible cruise package, the largest possible booze package, start drinking as soon as possible upon embarkation, become as obnoxious as possible, and expect all your fellow passengers to simply put up with you?  Those are not the types of choices one generally expects to find on Regent.  But then I suppose times may be changing.  Stockholders, after all . . . 

Perhaps, but none of those things are being discussed in this thread.

• Like 2

Yes, for cruises in what Regent calls “North American” (which includes the Caribbean, Alaska, and Panama Canal) we have always purchases our own air. No issue. But what happens if we put a deposit on a cruise, and then find we can’t get air suitable to us (price, class, or connections)? And regardless of whether air is Regent included or not. After deposit payment, can we get a full refund if we can’t find acceptable air? 

7 hours ago, ysolde said:

The only included class of air service now is the rock-bottom cheapest,

????

Where is this information coming from?

6 hours ago, ysolde said:

Like the choice to buy the cheapest possible cruise package, the largest possible booze package, start drinking as soon as possible upon embarkation, become as obnoxious as possible, and expect all your fellow passengers to simply put up with you?

None of which is being proposed by Regent 🤨

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Unless I am mistaken, Regent’s new policy  reverses that by dealing with the air question after deposit, and after final payment is due in some cases.

Nothing has changed other than an option of air classes.  Today you can't book your flights until 210 days out and only after you've made a deposit and choose to pay the deviation fee.  They've NEVER assigned flights PRIOR to making a deposit on a cruise, and unless you deviate, you don't get your flights until about 75 days out, generally AFTER final payment is made.  So what do you see as changing? 

Otherwise the email says NOTHING about having to wait until deposit is made to get pricing with flights, if that's what you are worried about.  In fact, it indicates you can price a cruise with any class air BEFORE deciding to book, all you have to do is choose the class air you want.  It says:

“Guests who still want to include business class air in their package can easily do so by choosing the Ultimate All-Inclusive Fare and their desired air class,"

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Just wondering, was the airfare less than what you could have booked yourself?  i.e. did you save money booking your air with Regent or was it primarily a convenience issue?