Storing luggage underneath bed limitation.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

We travel with two 26" suitcases and two 20" carryons.  The carryons go inside the suitcases and both easily fit underneath the bed even with a bundle of extra bedding underneath.  We've never had any problem.

Question for @StrikeEagle did you try adjusting the bag of linens and blankets to accommodate your cases.

On the last cruise, we had four adults in a standard-sized interior cabin. Each person had a check-in luggage around 28-29 inch and a carry-on around 21inch. (4 check-in, 4 carry-ons)  Yes, of course, on every cruise, I tried to push those bags of beddings all the way in, and sometimes the room attendant helped us push them in as well.

Before the last cruise, we had three adults, each with a 28-29 inch checked luggage and a 21-inch carry-on. (3 check-in 3 carry-on)  Still, one checked luggage ended up in the corner of the room.

The original question was meant to ask because I'm just curious when the room attendant put things under the bed, cutting back our storage space. This action is not for us but for the next cruise. That's why I asked if it is standard for them to do this.

Edited by StrikeEagle

15 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

I cannot believe some of these responses!! 

There has been linen under our beds on almost every cruise we have taken in the past few years. We just move it over and still have plenty of room for our suitcases.  

If it is there I can guarantee it is because of a direct order the steward has been given. They don’t put it under there just to aggravate you because I am sure they love to hear you rant!!  

But for some of you “demanding” it be removed or tossing it out in the hall is just shameful and disrespectful and using this as an excuse to take away tips just because you didn’t get your way is just unbelievable!!!

So, in your opinion, is it acceptable for this very reasonable request (remove the spare linens) to be denied?  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The bag-of-linens-under-the-bed isn't JUST for the next week's turn-around.  It's also an instant set of linens in case the cabin steward needs to change out your bed ... like if someone is sick or otherwise makes a mess of the white sheets.  

Don't throw things in the hall or otherwise mess with the ship's methods.  It's rude to the cabin steward and rude to your fellow cruisers.  The cabin steward didn't independently choose to keep the linens under the bed ... don't get him in trouble with his supervisor.  

As for your suitcases, they should fit along with the linen bag ... the bed's footprint isn't small.  

Personally, we put our open suitcase in the bottom of the closet ... and we use it as a hamper, which means at the end of the cruise our suitcase's all packed:  We just close it up, and we're ready to leave.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

As for your suitcases, they should fit along with the linen bag ... the bed's footprint isn't small. 

They had EIGHT suitcases (4 large and 4 carry-on).  Four people in an inside cabin.

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

They had EIGHT suitcases (4 large and 4 carry-on).  Four people in an inside cabin.

I would nest all of the carry ons inside of the larger luggage and then place the spare linens inside of the carry ons. Then it should all fit under the bed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I would nest all of the carry ons inside of the larger luggage and then place the spare linens inside of the carry ons. Then it should all fit under the bed.

With that many people in a small room, I'd bring less.  Much less.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

With that many people in a small room, I'd bring less.  Much less.  

Every time we cruise we bring less than before. For two of us we’re down to two carry ons and one large bag that is only about 2/3 full. Even then it’s more than needed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StrikeEagle said:

On the last cruise, we had four adults in a standard-sized interior cabin. Each person had a check-in luggage around 28-29 inch and a carry-on around 21inch. (4 check-in, 4 carry-ons)  Yes, of course, on every cruise, I tried to push those bags of beddings all the way in, and sometimes the room attendant helped us push them in as well.

Before the last cruise, we had three adults, each with a 28-29 inch checked luggage and a 21-inch carry-on. (3 check-in 3 carry-on)  Still, one checked luggage ended up in the corner of the room.

The original question was meant to ask because I'm just curious when the room attendant put things under the bed, cutting back our storage space. This action is not for us but for the next cruise. That's why I asked if it is standard for them to do this.

I can see how that storing all that luggage would be a problem...  That's a lot of luggage. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Got it…one of those entitled Pinnacles who thinks they can do whatever they want. We were just talking about Pinnacles like that at the 340+ lunch today on Radiance. 

My experience is very different than yours apparently.  

All the pinnacle I have met are amazingly interesting and nice people. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

My experience is very different than yours apparently.  

All the pinnacle I have met are amazingly interesting and nice people. 

My experience has been similar to yours. However, I have seen a few entitled ones over the years, with the worst being on Mariner last year. 

2 hours ago, Pratique said:

Every time we cruise we bring less than before. For two of us we’re down to two carry ons and one large bag that is only about 2/3 full. Even then it’s more than needed.

Yeah, we had the same experience ... until we made a packing template, which helps us "Goldilocks" our packing:  Not too much, not too little, just right.  

I keep the template on my computer, and I use it as a "starting point".  We almost always add or subtract depending upon the length of the cruise (or specific things we need for special plans or excursions).  

19 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My experience has been similar to yours. However, I have seen a few entitled ones over the years, with the worst being on Mariner last year. 

Aside from this board, where people occasionally mention their status, I don't know who is /isn't Pinnacle.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I keep the template on my computer, and I use it as a "starting point".  We almost always add or subtract depending upon the length of the cruise (or specific things we need for special plans or excursions).

LOL!!! you are way to organized.  I don't pack until the night before the flight.  I have certain "cruise items" that always go.  After that it is whatever strikes my fancy while I'm standing in front of my closet...  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Aside from this board, where people occasionally mention their status, I don't know who is /isn't Pinnacle.  

The majority of Pinnacles wear their name tags on the ship. I don’t know from first hand experience, but from talking to lots of Pinnacles, especially over the last few years, they are highly encouraged by RCI to wear their name tags. 

4 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

LOL!!! you are way to organized.  I don't pack until the night before the flight.  I have certain "cruise items" that always go.  After that it is whatever strikes my fancy while I'm standing in front of my closet...  

I am like you, I always pack the night before the cruise and usually the same morning if I am cruising out of Tampa, which is less than an hour from my house. However, I do have a checklist to make sure I don’t forget anything. 

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

51 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I just realized my post might have sounded critical or sarcastic towards you and it is too late to edit... That was not my intent.  It is just that my ADD addled brain could never even fathom such a thing.   

I even bought those mesh luggage cubes off Amazon about a year ago to try and help organize and four cruises later they are still in the plastic wrap they came in. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The majority of Pinnacles wear their name tags on the ship.

I'd be curious where you got this data?  My experience is that they only wear their tags to C&A events.

• Like 1

Just now, Cigar King said:

I'd be curious where you got this data?  My experience is that they only wear their tags to C&A events.

I am on RCI ships 1-2 times a month and see Pinnacles wearing their name tags all the time. In conjunction with the number of Pinnacles on the ship that is shown at the Top Tier event, it’s pretty apparent that the majority of Pinnacles wear their name tags on the ship. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

So, in your opinion, is it acceptable for this very reasonable request (remove the spare linens) to be denied?  

In my opinion …..I don’t find it to be a reasonable request because it is obviously there per specific instructions from housekeeping.  I have always found there to be plenty of room for my luggage even with the linen there.  If not I would store it in the closet….

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I can see how that storing all that luggage would be a problem...  That's a lot of luggage. 

There should be no problem storing 3 suitcases under a bed, even with a linen bag. 

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

LOL!!! you are way to organized. 

Organization is my super-power.  

16 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The majority of Pinnacles wear their name tags on the ship. I don’t know from first hand experience, but from talking to lots of Pinnacles, especially over the last few years, they are highly encouraged by RCI to wear their name tags. 

I don't note a bunch of them onboard.  

16 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I just realized my post might have sounded critical or sarcastic towards you and it is too late to edit... That was not my intent.  It is just that my ADD addled brain could never even fathom such a thing.   

Nah, didn't seem that way to me.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said: 

I don't note a bunch of them onboard.  

I always see them at the Top Tier Event, the 340 plus luncheon, trivia and at bars. Outside of these areas/events, I don’t see them as often. 

• Haha 1

My suitcase was too thick to fit under the bed on one of the older ships out of Baltimore. I asked the stewardess to store it somewhere. She pulled the couch away from the wall and we put all of our luggage back there. I ended up doing this on some other cruises. 

• Like 2

On 6/2/2024 at 5:04 PM, Cigar King said:

Exactly!

I wear mine and maybe 50% of the cruise.  Only when it might make a difference.