Anthology - is it staying or going?

We’ve tried it twice (once with Emma Bengtsson and once with Claude Le Tohic); first time was great, second time very underwhelming.  We heard last month when we were onboard that Anthology may be cut after Le Tohic; they have not named a chef to take over after Le Tohic’s turn ends this month.  Anyone hearing if they will continue with this concept or not?  We don’t have any future Explora bookings (have turned our focus back to lines we prefer), but might be motivated by an exceptional chef if it was announced ahead of time so we could plan.  

• Like 2

Have only heard gossip that they would do away with Anthology. Will be on EJll in December, I guess we will see. We’ve never eaten at Anthology. We prefer to experience Michelin ️ restaurants in the cities we visit. Will be interested to see what they do with the space. Inquiring minds, what cruise lines do you prefer & what do they offer, that you like better than EJ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrivateIdaho said:

Inquiring minds, what cruise lines do you prefer & what do they offer, that you like better than EJ?

I’m planning to book again on EJ, but only after they settle in and the “product” becomes more stable,   There is a lot to like, and we’ve had good experiences so far.  At the EJ price point I’d like to see a more finalized product - e.g. seeing how the entertainment gets sorted out, knowing if restaurants are available, a normal mix of passengers, etc. The attitude by EJ corporate does not help either - as someone who likes traditional cruising I am definitionally not in their target market.  But future bookings right now are for (mostly) longer voyages (EJ works better for us on shorter stints).  

We all form our preferences from a variety of objective and subjective aspects, so I would not expect my preferences to be the same as or influential to anyone else.  In Nov/Dec and then in April/May we were fortunate to be on both Seabourn and EJ close to each other; while we were “wowed” by EJ in terms of the ship and some food, SB both times delivered an overall better cruise experience for us.  While winning on several technical merits EJ both times left us cold, whereas we find SB has more of a “soul”.   That’s why our future bookings and preferences right now are for SB, Crystal, and Cunard Queens Grill. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, johng75370 said:  

In Nov/Dec and then in April/May we were fortunate to be on both Seabourn and EJ close to each other; while we were “wowed” by EJ in terms of the ship and some food, SB both times delivered an overall better cruise experience for us.  While winning on several technical merits EJ both times left us cold, whereas we find SB has more of a “soul”.   

As you wrote, we all have our own preferences, however I appreciate your insight. We are recently retired and starting to cruise more often. I would not describe us as traditional cruisers, which is why we enjoy EJ. Haven’t done the other lines you mentioned, but we are considering them. It’s mostly about itinerary for us and EJ doesn’t offer much variety right now. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 1:35 PM, johng75370 said:

I’m planning to book again on EJ, but only after they settle in and the “product” becomes more stable,   There is a lot to like, and we’ve had good experiences so far.  At the EJ price point I’d like to see a more finalized product - e.g. seeing how the entertainment gets sorted out, knowing if restaurants are available, a normal mix of passengers, etc. The attitude by EJ corporate does not help either - as someone who likes traditional cruising I am definitionally not in their target market.  But future bookings right now are for (mostly) longer voyages (EJ works better for us on shorter stints).  

We all form our preferences from a variety of objective and subjective aspects, so I would not expect my preferences to be the same as or influential to anyone else.  In Nov/Dec and then in April/May we were fortunate to be on both Seabourn and EJ close to each other; while we were “wowed” by EJ in terms of the ship and some food, SB both times delivered an overall better cruise experience for us.  While winning on several technical merits EJ both times left us cold, whereas we find SB has more of a “soul”.   That’s why our future bookings and preferences right now are for SB, Crystal, and Cunard Queens Grill. 

Interesting post as we could have wrote similar words (and did).  We cruised on EJ1 back in September (on the cruise that led to the naming ceremony) and also had issues with "stability" and the attitude of Guest Relations (i,e, "we are not a cruise line...but rather a floating resort").  The company seemed a bit full of themselves (we got the same impression from some suites we met who were from Geneva) and perhaps they are trying too hard.  I love your comment about SB having "more soul" and agree (which is why we have several upcoming SB bookings and no EJ bookings).

EJ has been operating for about 1 year, so it is troubling to read your post which makes it sound like they still have yet to get their onboard act together.  Also figure they still have not done anything for past cruisers.  We read the posts about Anthology, perhaps being eliminated, and are not surprised.  We had to practically beg to get a reservation in Anthology (it was like they were doing us a favor) only to enjoy a meal (cooked by "Emma") with only 8 persons in the dining room!  It made no sense!  And while we were OK paying the big bucks to have a meal cooked by a fabulous Michelin 2* Chef, once she left (after our voyage) folks would have been paying for dinner prepared by EJ chefs (arguably trained by Emma).  The entire concept seemed somewhat "off" and we would not be surprised if they repurpose that venue.

The situation with the two "reservation" restaurants also left us thinking that the staff "was doing us a favor" by letting us make a reservation or show-up as a walk-in.  Our voyages were only about 50-60% full, so we cannot even imagine how that works when there are 900 onboard.  On our two voyages, the entertainment seemed to be disorganized, and was just another example of something still under development.  

We are now looking at booking two future EJ voyages, the price is right, the dates are right, but we are still hesitating.  We do not have those kind of 2nd thoughts with most other lines.

Hank

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Interesting post as we could have wrote similar words (and did).  We cruised on EJ1 back in September (on the cruise that led to the naming ceremony) and also had issues with "stability" and the attitude of Guest Relations (i,e, "we are not a cruise line...but rather a floating resort").  The company seemed a bit full of themselves (we got the same impression from some suites we met who were from Geneva) and perhaps they are trying too hard.  I love your comment about SB having "more soul" and agree (which is why we have several upcoming SB bookings and no EJ bookings).

EJ has been operating for about 1 year, so it is troubling to read your post which makes it sound like they still have yet to get their onboard act together.  Also figure they still have not done anything for past cruisers.  We read the posts about Anthology, perhaps being eliminated, and are not surprised.  We had to practically beg to get a reservation in Anthology (it was like they were doing us a favor) only to enjoy a meal (cooked by "Emma") with only 8 persons in the dining room!  It made no sense!  And while we were OK paying the big bucks to have a meal cooked by a fabulous Michelin 2* Chef, once she left (after our voyage) folks would have been paying for dinner prepared by EJ chefs (arguably trained by Emma).  The entire concept seemed somewhat "off" and we would not be surprised if they repurpose that venue.

The situation with the two "reservation" restaurants also left us thinking that the staff "was doing us a favor" by letting us make a reservation or show-up as a walk-in.  Our voyages were only about 50-60% full, so we cannot even imagine how that works when there are 900 onboard.  On our two voyages, the entertainment seemed to be disorganized, and was just another example of something still under development.  

We are now looking at booking two future EJ voyages, the price is right, the dates are right, but we are still hesitating.  We do not have those kind of 2nd thoughts with most other lines.

Hank

Good points Hank. We did not experience Anthology when we sailed.  We have booked one EJ for January and certainly have better and more realistic expectations this time around and yet really enjoyed the product even with its blemishes 

All the best. I enjoy following your experiences 

7 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Good points Hank. We did not experience Anthology when we sailed.  We have booked one EJ for January and certainly have better and more realistic expectations this time around and yet really enjoyed the product even with its blemishes 

All the best. I enjoy following your experiences 

I look forward to reading your comparison of EJ, in Jan, to EJ, last year.  In looking at a possible future booking, we have been surprised to see that the price is actually lower than our previous booking (last year).  

Hank

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I look forward to reading your comparison of EJ, in Jan, to EJ, last year.  In looking at a possible future booking, we have been surprised to see that the price is actually lower than our previous booking (last year).  

Hank

Yes indeed the price we are paying in January is way less than last years pricing 

I will of course keep you posted

Wishing you all the best always

1 minute ago, Waltershipman said:

Yes indeed the price we are paying in January is way less than last years pricing 

I will of course keep you posted

Wishing you all the best always

Perhaps it is telling that the price has dropped, but the ship still seems to be sailing at far less than capacity (according to some posts here on CC).  I do have some theories.  1.  The short itineraries are a turn-off to many of us who like luxury cruise lines.  2.  The lack of any air program is a turn-off for many luxury cruisers who prefer to have all their travel arrangements made by the cruise lines (such as with Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, etc).  

Hank

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Perhaps it is telling that the price has dropped, but the ship still seems to be sailing at far less than capacity (according to some posts here on CC).  I do have some theories.  1.  The short itineraries are a turn-off to many of us who like luxury cruise lines.  2.  The lack of any air program is a turn-off for many luxury cruisers who prefer to have all their travel arrangements made by the cruise lines (such as with Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, etc).  

Hank

Understood

Be well and we will stay connected 

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The lack of any air program is a turn-off for many luxury cruisers who prefer to have all their travel arrangements made by the cruise lines (such as with Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, etc).  

Hank

I was literally chatting with my agent last week about this same issue.  She has seen an uptick in interest in Regent because of their "all-inclusive" nature. Many of her clients literally want to make one booking and have someone else handle the rest.  We have friends who are long-time Regent cruisers and again, they like Concierge and above cabins so that the pre-departure hotel is included.

They were shocked at our Recent Celebrity Apex sailing that involved individual bookings for: 3 flights, three private transfers,  one hotel, 7 theater tickets, three museums, one Norwegian State Railway ticket, one Geiranger bus tour  and one shore excursion!

Edited by Dr. Cocktail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instead of starting a new topic I will pose my question here. For those who have eaten at Anthology what was you opinion and was it worth the extra expense?We will probably  have obc to use.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lenbro1944 said:

For those who have eaten at Anthology what was you opinion and was it worth the extra expense?

We’ve done it twice - first in December with Emma Bengtsson in charge and in April with Claude Le Tohic.  First time was fantastic; service was flawless and food was well worth the price.  Second time the service was very off (long waits between courses, many apologies) and the food was overall not to our liking (it was right before Claude joined to “shape up” the kitchen in San Francisco).  Skipped dessert (after 3.5 hours we wanted to do other things); was promised that dessert would be sent to cabin which it never was.  Discussed with restaurant manager and hotel director (Heike), and felt our complaints were heard.  

My takeaway was it depends on the chef, the menu, and the mood of the Anthology staff that night.  IF those stars align it is well worth the extra expense.  Your question may be moot as they have not announced who will follow Le Tohic as his time there ends this month. 

Edited by johng75370
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Instead of starting a new topic I will pose my question here. For those who have eaten at Anthology what was you opinion and was it worth the extra expense?We will probably  have obc to use.

We were onboard Explora recently, and dined in Anthology.   We were fortunate to have the current guest chef Claude Le Tohic onboard during our short Vancouver-LA segment.  He stopped by our table after dinner for a nice chat.

We used a generous OBC which completely paid for our evening at Anthology.  However, for me, I would not pay 'out-of-pocket' for that meal.  Most of the dishes were indeed very good, but small bites in a tasting menu format is really not our style.

I would also point out that despite the fact that you may order a mixed drink to enjoy at the table, you can't order a single glass of wine (neither the 'included' varieties, or just a single 'pay' glass).  You must purchase either the complete wine paring, or purchase a full bottle of wine.  That didn't sit well with us.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lenbro1944 said:

If you order a mixed drink is there a extra charge if it’s an included alcohol?

No charge for mixed drinks made with in the included spirits in Anthology.  

We went to Anthology when Claude came on in San Francisco.  I loved the meal.  We took the wine pairings but I agree that we should be allowed a glass of wine if we don't want to buy the wine pairings.  I would do it again- waiting to find out who will be on our Dec cruise.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We have just disembarked Explora 1 and have been told that Anthology will be replaced with an Italian restaurant. When the guest chefs are onboard it is very popular but demand is very lackluster otherwise.

Edited by Poppy45
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Poppy45 said:

We have just disembarked Explora 1 and have been told that Anthology will be replaced with an Italian restaurant. When the guest chefs are onboard it is very popular but demand is very lackluster otherwise.

Thanks that’s great news - is this for Explora 2 or both ships?

• Like 1

The night we dined at Anthonlogy there were eight in the room and we were in a party of four which I was told was a reasonable turn up. 

Food was so so (mind you chef Le Tonic was not onboard at the time) and some of the wine in the pairing was later offered in the complimentary section which was a bit disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Poppy45 said:

Antholo-Gino’s?

Antony-gy?

Pastology?

• Haha 3