Gratuites on Seabourn

perhaps Saminina is correct-- but I took it as a judgmental opinion.

I have never heard of the unwritten rule you speak of------- This year I will reach Diamond Elite-- IF this is an unwritten RULE it should be publicized so that people like me will know better. 

I learned about the crew fund on my second Seabourn cruise and have always participated since.

However, it does gives me such pleasure to express my appreciation to crew I have gotten to know either at the end of their contract or the end of my cruise. What is the difference of giving them a gift they have to pack or giving them a gratuity?   Why is this is so bad?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MJN1 said:

"Yes, we are negative about folks, who don't know how to adjust their (primarily USA) tipping pattern in other countries/cultures and thus raise expectations and inflate the local tipping levels.

Obviously there are many opinions and I have expressed mine on multiple threads, (as per Seabourn tips "ARE not expected").  We contribute to the crew fund to help everyone enjoy a special event and sometimes take some crew we have bonded with out for lunch. 

We have seen multiple times the last day some pax making a show of giving cash to a bartender or wait staff person.  This thread is most likely not going to change anyone's behavior regarding tipping.  

19 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

We have seen multiple times the last day some pax making a show of giving cash to a bartender or wait staff person.

But what we don't see are the numerous instances of discreet tipping. My hunch is that this occurs much more often than the cases of ostentatious tipping that you describe.

In general, I don't agree with the tipping culture in the United States, especially in the past few years, but when you develop a relationship with a ship's crew member that extends over several weeks, tipping seems quite appropriate and, in fact, difficult to refrain from.

• Like 2

It's everyone's hard earned money to decide how they wish to part with it.  On a cruise we prefer to contribute to the various crew funds - all the lines we have sailed on, Seabourn, Scenic, Regent, Ponant, and old Crystal have one.  When we go out to a bar or restaurant here we usually leave 20-25% sometimes much more unless service was terrible.  We are fortunate that we can do so and appreciate the folks serving us who are not in the same situation as we are and are grateful for how far we have come from humble beginnings.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

In general, I don't agree with the tipping culture in the United States, especially in the past few years, but when you develop a relationship with a ship's crew member that extends over several weeks, tipping seems quite appropriate and, in fact, difficult to refrain from.

I don't get the tipping culture either, it seems to me somewhat demeaning.  Would you tip your Doctor because of the relationship you have developed??

• Like 4

I think it is sad that high tipping is the norm in the US, and it would seem that basic pay for hospitality workers is probably very low, hence the necessity.  But I would feel aggrieved if I had had rotten service and was then chased out of the restaurant by the server, which I believe can happen.  If tipping is OK, we probably have about the right attitude to it, with reasonable expectations of about 10% for good service.  Sadly this is changing though, with charges added to the bill,  regardless of quality of service.

What I really don't like on cruise lines is when people turn up for dinner on the first night and tip the Maitre'd to ensure a good choice of table etc.  That is bribery, not acknowledgment of good service.  The crew fund is the fairest way to show appreciation of all the crew, not just those you meet.

• Like 6

On 6/11/2024 at 4:35 PM, saminina said:

Long ago, there was an unwritten rule among passengers.  If you enjoyed the service, please express it thru crew fund donation.   You mentioned within the boundaries rules.   That precedent has been destroyed by people not understanding post by MJN1.

I've been on 85 cruises to every part of the world dating back to 1980. I've never come across an unwritten rule about tipping through the crew fund. In point of fact, I've heard the opposite from dozens of crew members who very much appreciate a tip for their exceptional service and not one has ever suggested I give to the crew fund instead. Having said that, I have on occasion done both -- given to the crew fund and a few individuals. I have always believed that tipping on cruise ships is a personal choice in both how to give and the amount to give. Do what you want and what makes you comfortable. There is no wrong way.

• Like 4

On 6/13/2024 at 12:46 AM, Laylam said:

I don't get the tipping culture either, it seems to me somewhat demeaning.  Would you tip your Doctor because of the relationship you have developed??

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

I hope doctors in your country are earning more than waiters! 😍

I think a better analogy would be do you tip the store clerk who sells you a shirt? Or do you tip the checkout clerk at the supermarket? You might even be served by the same person often.  The answer is no, because they are paid a full (even if not generous) wage. Waiters should be paid full, fair wages, not have to depend on tips.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, marazul said:

I think a better analogy would be do you tip the store clerk who sells you a shirt? Or do you tip the checkout clerk at the supermarket? You might even be served by the same person often.  The answer is no, because they are paid a full (even if not generous) wage. Waiters should be paid full, fair wages, not have to depend on tips.

Yes, and the world should be free of war, pestilence and food insecurity!

Tips were created to reward excellent SERVICE from people who depend on it because their wages are low. When my service people earn decent wages, as waiters in some countries do, I tip little or nothing. I choose to recognize and encourage exceptional service. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

When my service people earn decent wages, as waiters in some countries do, I tip little or nothing. I choose to recognize and encourage exceptional

That is the point! When people earn decent wages, you tip little or nothing. It is the mandatory, guilt driven tipping culture that is wrong. Nothing stops you or anyone else from rewarding exceptional service. Ordinary, competent, but not exceptional service deserves fair wages by the employer.  Not practical blackmail of customers to make up for the lack of compensation that should be paid by the employer. 

And the question is, when the job description of Seabourn employees is to provide outstanding, attentive service to all (not just to you) and they are paid a better than decent wage for their job, should you tip?  When exceptional service without flattery is the norm, is it exceptional? 

Edited by marazul
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, marazul said:

I agree.  In Australia waiters are paid full, fair wages and do not have to depend on tips.  In a lot of Australian restaurants you are charged a surcharge on weekends as the waiters are being paid penalty rates on top of their wages.

https://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/waiter-or-waitress/sydney-australia

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, marazul said:

That is the point! When people earn decent wages, you tip little or nothing. It is the mandatory, guilt driven tipping culture that is wrong. Nothing stops you or anyone else from rewarding exceptional service. Ordinary, competent, but not exceptional service deserves fair wages by the employer.  Not practical blackmail of the customers to make up for the lack of compensation that should be paid by the employer. 

And the question is, when the job description of Seabourn employees is to provide outstanding, attentive service to all (not just to you) and they are paid a better than a decent wage for their job, should you tip?  When expected exceptional without flattery is the norm, is it exceptional? 

If I consider it exceptional service worth an extra reward, that’s all that matters when it’s my money. Same for you. It’s a personal choice that is between me and the people I tip.

7 hours ago, commodoredave said:

If I consider it exceptional service worth an extra reward, that’s all that matters when it’s my money. Same for you. It’s a personal choice that is between me and the people I tip.

We get it you like to tip because it makes you feel better.

The concern I have is that some in the service industry favour those who like to tip and don't treat others equally even when we ware told not to tip. I personally have not had a problem with most crew on Seabourn but as I said I don't like it when crew specifically mention how they like being front staff to get tips. I avoid them from then on.

• Like 2

I suspect that staff on the 'luxury' lines are better paid than others, but even so think it is fair enough to give anyone who has gone out of their way to be helpful, maybe your room attendant, or  some members of restaurant staff who have looked after you frequently, but it is really fairer to all the staff and crew to donate to their fund - there are so many we never see who still work hard - maybe physically harder than passenger facing staff, and are from poorer backgrounds and sending most of their pay home.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

We get it you like to tip because it makes you feel better.

The concern I have is that some in the service industry favour those who like to tip and don't treat others equally even when we ware told not to tip. I personally have not had a problem with most crew on Seabourn but as I said I don't like it when crew specifically mention how they like being front staff to get tips. I avoid them from then on.

I would never tip in advance as that is bribery. If I tip, it is on the final night of the cruise and only in special circumstances where it is warranted. I also understand that tipping is not required as basic gratuities are included in the cruise fare of most luxury lines. It is a personal choice.

• Like 2

There are many forms of appreciation that can be shown apart from money.  Others have mentioned that they bring small gifts from home (we often bring California chocolates), or simply asking if you can get things for them when onshore if they can’t get off the ship much.  It’s also important to mention people by name in the post-cruise survey - we’ve heard that makes a big difference; better for their career growth than a tip.  We’ve been delighted to see staff on Seabourn evolve and grow into new roles over time, and customer appreciation helps make that happen.

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 6